Author Topic: Would you trade the 16th pick for Dieng  (Read 16652 times)

Would you trade the 16th pick for Dieng
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dieng had some very nice games last season.   He still needs to add some more strength but at his peak should be a very good center in the nba.  He has a 7'3.5" wingspan and 9'3.5" reach (elite level) and good leaping capability. Not the most explosive guy, but can really get up there to grab rebounds/block/alter shots.   Good iq shown by his assist numbers and has a good mid range jump shot.

If the Wolves pick of one Towns or Okafor, with already having Pekovic signed, Dieng might be available for a 1st (2015 16th pick and a future 2nd round pick).    Yay or nay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb1wnG9XM28

Re: Would you trade the 16th pick for Dieng
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:17:17 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I bet the Wolves would much rather find Pekovic a new home, but that's an interesting question. I think I would probably take that deal.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Yes, unless Oubre or Turner are available, because I think they have higher ceilings.

But if Danny is wanting to make a splash in free agency this year, then Dieng would help us more than a rookie would.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I bet the Wolves would much rather find Pekovic a new home, but that's an interesting question. I think I would probably take that deal.

I agree.  Honestly due Pek being injury prone, Wolves might hold off trading Dieng.

But if Pek is back healthy, there is really not point of having three centers in the lineup .Bad for Towns development. 

Maybe we might have to include Zeller + 16 for Dieng and 2nd (so wolves can have a 3rd center just in case).  I would do that deal in a heartbeat.  Wolves can then draft a PF at 16 to pair with Pek and Towns

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yes, unless Oubre or Turner are available, because I think they have higher ceilings.

But if Danny is wanting to make a splash in free agency this year, then Dieng would help us more than a rookie would.

Oubre won't be available by 16. And I don't want Turner. Honestly either someone before us will grab Turner or he is going to drop , drop drop due to redflags (the way he runs, moves).  I think he is either injured or will eventually become injured. 

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yes.

He is a known quantity and can defend, rebound, and block. I know people obsess over potential, but he is exactly the kind of young center we need (although lacking in athleticism). In comparison, I would choose him 100 out 100 times over Hibbert.

Dieng maybe a little older than people would prefer as a player on his rookie contract, but I think he would fit in very nicely with our current young, defensive-oriented roster. Also, his sheer reach would give him some very easy baskets down low - something we often just don't get.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:43:57 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes. I am not wild about Dieng but I don't think there is much value there at #16 either.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:49:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
No.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dieng's nice but is he much better than Zeller?

Chance isn't great but the Celts have to try and get a player who is more than just another guy.  Swing for the fences.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I'd try to make it KO and 28. Celts have other 4s, but really need a stronger 5.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think he is a better rebounder and shot blocker.  Tyler scores 10.2 PPG, Dieng 9.7 PPG,   Dieng gets 8.3 RPG and Zeller 5.7 RPG , Dieng gets 1.7 BPG, Zeller gets .08 BPG   Zeller is a better by 4% but both shoot over 50% from the field.

Dieng did play nine more minutes a game though.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2534781/gorgui-dieng

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6631/tyler-zeller

Dieng is more of a traditional C.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 10:26:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Why would the Wolves trade Dieng for such a late pick?  I get that if they land Townes or something they could look to trade the other centers, but surely they can get more than some crapshoot mid 1st. 

What's the chances that the player picked #16 ends up as good as Dieng is right now?  The best-case scenario with a pick that late is someone like Dieng.   It's like saying, "I'll trade you $20 bucks for a scratch ticket where the grand prize is $20 bucks"

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Chance isn't great but the Celts have to try and get a player who is more than just another guy.  Swing for the fences.

Dieng beats Zeller hands down in wingspan and reach measurements.  Zeller couldn't block a shot against the cavs if his life depended on it. I would like to see Lebron try to score around Dieng's wingspan and reach on multiple occasions

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 10:31:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Why would the Wolves trade Dieng for such a late pick?  I get that if they land Townes or something they could look to trade the other centers, but surely they can get more than some crapshoot mid 1st. 

What's the chances that the player picked #16 ends up as good as Dieng is right now?  The best-case scenario with a pick that late is someone like Dieng.   It's like saying, "I'll trade you $20 bucks for a scratch ticket where the grand prize is $20 bucks"

It's a decent point. So it would have to be Zeller and 16 for Dieng and a 2nd
This trade idea only works out if the Wolves get Towns or Okafor and like somebody at 16.  Again there is no need for them to have 3 centers (have zeller as the insurance #3)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:37:44 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Wolves wouldn't give him up for the 16th pick.
They might trade him for Avery Bradley but then we'd need to take back some salary.

He's been pretty good but does have problems guarding opposing bigs in the paint.
He's a great weakside help defender but I dunno if his ceiling is that high or maybe a bit better than Ian Mahinmi.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.