Author Topic: Olynyk and Smith suspended, Perkins fined.  (Read 9794 times)

Re: Olynyk and Smith suspended, Perkins fined.
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Didn't read all the way through. Sorry if this was mentioned already, but you've got to look at the KO situation like this: He did it on purpose or he didn't. If the league truly believes he did it on purpose it should be way more than one game. Probably in the 3-5 range. If the league doesn't think he did it on purpose then it should be 0 games.

The problem with a 1 game suspension is it's totally reactionary and trying not to upset the Cavs fans. This is just my opinion.

This has been said several times already, but it can't be said enough. It's a total PR move, and it doesn't make any sense to do a 1 game suspension.
sure it does.

I have to agree, it doesn't.
a punch gets you a game (without extenuating circumstances).  There really is no difference between the conduct.  Both are non-basketball actions that are unnecessary and excessive.  Olynyk clearly intentionally pulled on the arm of Love, that is unnecessary and excessive and is worthy of a 1 game suspension.

Agree.  Personally I saw it as a "How do you like it?" move after Love did the same to him during the rebounding action.  I don't think Olynyk injured him intentionally (and nothing in his history makes me think otherwise), but there was excessive force used during a non-basketball play.  I thought they got this one right.

The JR Smith and Perk punishments... not so much. 

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Surprised people are upset about ko gettin one game.  So what he gets the first game next year for pulling out some guys arm.  Seems very minimal to me.  He deserved something.

People talkin about anti Celtic deal is ridiculous and screams sour grapes. Bruins team loses nothing as a result of the nba's decisions.  Maybe instead of blaming everyone else, try to get our  to go out and buy some talent.

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't have a problem with Olynyk getting a one game suspension. I do wonder though if we were still in the playoffs if he'd still get that one game. Regardless, that type of play deserves some sort of punishment.

What DOES bother me though is the double standard based on past offenses from players with a history, like Wade. What did Wade get for the Rondo injury? Other than LeBron calling a reporter "retarded" for asking Wade about people considering him dirty?

So it's not really that Olynyk got punished, as he should've, but that punishments are not being handed out objectively.

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:40 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Talking about this sort of thing, the NBA should clean up plays that cause injury.  They, the employer, have some obligation as to the well being of the players.  they should really add more flagrant rules, since there are usually a few type of plays that get people hurt, and they should discourage that type of play.  That is why the clear path foul exists, and flagrant fouls exist, so - the league should develop this a little further.  I'll reference Howard knocking Davis out cold with repeated "accidental" elbows to the head not too many years ago.  Well, accident or not, if you repeatedly elbow a guy in the head, the player is obligated to try not to do that, and should get called as a flagrant foul, and eventually ejected if it keeps happening.  I think there is actually a rule about this, but then they would have to actually take liberty to make the call against one of their special superstar players.