Author Topic: Olynyk and Smith suspended, Perkins fined.  (Read 9767 times)

Re: Olynyk and Smith suspended, Perkins fined.
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 05:33:15 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

If you watch the replay Wade loses the ball and holds Rondo so that he cant get around him and go the other way for an easy fastbreak bucket. Both guys used excessive force but I tend to doubt either said to themselves "oh let me dislocate this guys arm"

Not sure where you get the idea Rondo also used "excessive force" against Wade in that incident. Wade has about 40 lbs and 3 inches on Rondo, and with his back to him after losing the ball, grabbed Rondo's torso with his right arm and pulled/yanked him down to the ground.
Rondo exerted no force on Wade.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:02:12 AM by alley oop »

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 07:30:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If you watch the replay Wade loses the ball and holds Rondo so that he cant get around him and go the other way for an easy fastbreak bucket. Both guys used excessive force but I tend to doubt either said to themselves "oh let me dislocate this guys arm"

Not sure where you get the idea Rondo also used "excessive force" against Wade in that incident. Wade has about 40 lbs and 3 inches on Rondo, and with his back to him after losing the ball, grabbed Rondo's torso with his right arm and pulled/yanked him down to the ground.
Rondo exerted no force on Wade.

I think he was comparing Wade's play to KO's.  KO and Wade used excessive force, not Rondo and Wade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 08:06:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I am guessing Perk didn't get suspended because Crowder got up in his face and the league felt it was a mutual type situation without any real damage.  Still think he should have gotten a game, but it wasn't that egregious.  Smith should have gotten 3.  I'm fine with Olynyk getting 1. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 08:46:23 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'm not fine with Olynyk getting suspended or even fined.  They are suspending him for the result of the play and not the action.  If they both run up the court is KO getting suspended or even fined?  Heck no, for a tug on an arm?  Perkins doesn't get suspended for two hands to the throat and face of Crowder and the a slap at his face? Smith gets one game more for a spinning back fist with an injury and a history?

I see new NBA leadership is just as anti-Celtic as old NBA leadership.

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't losing Perk would really hurts the CAVs is not like he was playing a lot.   They used him as a goon.  Perhaps it is more punishment to make them play them him with Love out.   He is a shell of his former self.   Everyone knows that the league wants CAVS and Rockets finals.   This inconsistency helps the CAVs along.

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
if you cut some ones legs,or clobber someone in the air or blindside at neck level but to think kelly o could have expected any form of injury to come out of that low level wrestling match,it was an intentional common foul to disrupt play but anybody that thinks he set out to harm love -they had been wrestling on the lead up to this accidental injury---
-they were both engaged in this and kelly attempted to keep him from getting too the ball--lebron what kind of play was it other than nba wrestling,
-could anybody have forseen the results of this-
is kelly a trained wrestler,does he have a history of anything malacious or but being soft and awkard-
this was not an elbow to face,or a neck high blindside block,this was not even close to vunerable ,it was low level physicality and an unfortunate injury-999 times out of thousand  this would have been just a foul shot without injury but perkins and jr's shot were intentional  and meant to cause pain both times while the player was defenseless and to the head--

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Didn't read all the way through. Sorry if this was mentioned already, but you've got to look at the KO situation like this: He did it on purpose or he didn't. If the league truly believes he did it on purpose it should be way more than one game. Probably in the 3-5 range. If the league doesn't think he did it on purpose then it should be 0 games.

The problem with a 1 game suspension is it's totally reactionary and trying not to upset the Cavs fans. This is just my opinion.

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm not fine with Olynyk getting suspended or even fined.  They are suspending him for the result of the play and not the action.  If they both run up the court is KO getting suspended or even fined?  Heck no, for a tug on an arm?  Perkins doesn't get suspended for two hands to the throat and face of Crowder and the a slap at his face? Smith gets one game more for a spinning back fist with an injury and a history?

I see new NBA leadership is just as anti-Celtic as old NBA leadership.

The league's criteria for suspensions explicitly say that whether the play caused an injury is a factor considered when issuing them.  You're arguing that to not be "anti-Celtic", the league has to deliberately ignore their own rules for our player.

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The Olynyk suspension screams "makeup suspension", Smith should have been suspended more than two games, and Perkins get at least one.

This is exactly what KO's suspension was. They didn't want to fine and suspend Cleveland players and not do anything to KO, even though it was clear that it was merely an accident.

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
It can be "a" factor, but does that mean any play that causes an injury nets a suspension?  No, that certainly hasn't been the case.   Was Wade suspended for pulling Rondo down?  It caused an injury but the league said there wasn't intent.  Tons of players get hurt to varying degrees with no suspensions.

And to square that with Smith getting two games for an equally injurious fist, and him having a history of that kind of action, just doesn't make sense.

If that is how the NBA works, Chicago should have someone punch Lebron.  Maybe he gets hurt, maybe not.  At worst it is a two game suspension.

Intent has to be the bigger part of all punishments, not just in the NBA but everywhere.  Intent to be reckless as well as intent to injure.  Arm fighting goes on every single play in the NBA.  I don't think anyone could reasonably conclude that tugging on Love's arm during a scrum from the ball would lead to a separated shoulder, especially when Love initiated the contact.  Throwing a punch with a fist, or using both hands to shove a player in the head and/or neck are actions you could reasonably assume will lead to injuries whether they do or don't.

Ron Artest throws an elbow, its 7 games.  Smith throws a fist and its 2?  Explain that?

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Didn't read all the way through. Sorry if this was mentioned already, but you've got to look at the KO situation like this: He did it on purpose or he didn't. If the league truly believes he did it on purpose it should be way more than one game. Probably in the 3-5 range. If the league doesn't think he did it on purpose then it should be 0 games.

The problem with a 1 game suspension is it's totally reactionary and trying not to upset the Cavs fans. This is just my opinion.

This has been said several times already, but it can't be said enough. It's a total PR move, and it doesn't make any sense to do a 1 game suspension.

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

This has been said several times already, but it can't be said enough. It's a total PR move, and it doesn't make any sense to do a 1 game suspension.
sure it does. 

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell

sure it does.

I have to agree, it doesn't.

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

sure it does.

a punch gets you a game (without extenuating circumstances).  There really is no difference between the conduct.  Both are non-basketball actions that are unnecessary and excessive.  Olynyk clearly intentionally pulled on the arm of Love, that is unnecessary and excessive and is worthy of a 1 game suspension.

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell

sure it does.

a punch gets you a game (without extenuating circumstances).  There really is no difference between the conduct.  Both are non-basketball actions that are unnecessary and excessive.  Olynyk clearly intentionally pulled on the arm of Love, that is unnecessary and excessive and is worthy of a 1 game suspension.

No difference in a punch and grabbing arms rebounding.  If you really believe that, OK.