Author Topic: Kevin Love torn labrum; "highly unlikely" to return for playoffs  (Read 20959 times)

Re: Kevin Love injury update: torn labrum
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 01:33:50 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
On a serious note, should the Celtics even go after this guy despite his assumed-resentment towards the Celtics and Kelly Olynyk since he torn his labrum? Will this have any impact on his scoring and rebounding abilities, regardless?

My vote is no, just because I don't like Love's attitude in general nor his complete void of defensive effort/ability.

Funny enough though I think Chicago has the edge on Cleveland with or without Love.

I felt so too.

Cleveland is very weak in the front court, and Love+Mozgov vs Gasol+Noah is not a matchup that would have gone Cleveland's way.  If they Start Thompson + Mozgov it may actually be better for them, but the lack of depth and frontcourt scoring will hurt them.

Also Chicago's tough interior defense (Noah + Gasol + Gibson) is going to make it much harder for Lebron and Kyrie to get in to the paint.  Most likely they will be settling on a larger quantity of jump shots, which really is exactly what you want against a team like this.

Chicago have a lot of scoring potential in Rose, Butler and Gasol and even with Love (who's a major defensive liability) out, Cleveland is still going to have trouble stopping those guys.  Defense is not that team's strong point. 

I'm going to call a tight series.  I pick Chicago for the 4-2 series win.  If Love was there I would isntead call it 4-3, but I think for me Chicago is the favorite for me either way.

Same deal if Cleveland played Washington - just too much firepower and size for Cleveland to match in a 7 game series.  Wall, Beal, Pierce on offense, plus the size of Nene, Humphries and Gortat?  Clevleand are (IMO) no match for that.  Plus if there is anybody who has a history of big games against Lebron, it's Paul Pierce.  I could almost guarantee that in at least one of those games, Pierce would have Lebron's number.

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 01:50:37 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Welp

We definitely left our mark on the playoffs

And who said we wouldn't be a big factor in the playoffs!?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2015, 05:49:22 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Welp

We definitely left our mark on the playoffs

And who said we wouldn't be a big factor in the playoffs!?
Basketball gods punishing them for resting their starters to lock up a playoff matchup against us?.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2015, 07:15:13 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
All this talk about Cleveland playing Chicago in the next round? Chicago is 2-2 in a playoff series with Milwaukee last I checked, so even if they do move on from the bucks I don't see them beating LeBron and kyrie with or without kevin love.

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2015, 07:21:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
All this talk about Cleveland playing Chicago in the next round? Chicago is 2-2 in a playoff series with Milwaukee last I checked, so even if they do move on from the bucks I don't see them beating LeBron and kyrie with or without kevin love.

That's how I see it, too.  On paper the Bulls might look deeper and better, but their squad doesn't fit together very well, especially with Rose and Gasol looking lost on defense. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2015, 07:53:11 AM »

Offline Sievers81

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

Umm the Bulls are 3-2 (after being up 3-0).

I do agree on the fact their roster doesn't quite gel properly despite the talent on it.

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Kevin Love is a seriously weak-minded player.  Guys like him and Hibbert should be avoided at all costs. 

Sorry to hear that he has a torn labrum, but in truth, he plays with fire all the time, except this time, he got burned.  The King of the NBA armbar was simply hoisted by own petard.  He is himself a very dirty player on occasion, which is yet another reason why he is generally disrespected here and on NBA boards everywhere.  I hope he opts out and goes to the Lakers.  It would be quite amusing to see Kobe and his contingent rip KL to shreds after the latest Lakers roster experiment fails.

I think there's something to this. Meanwhile, I don't know how bad his tear is, but there's this:

Nonsurgical Treatment
Your doctor's first goal will be to control your pain and inflammation. Initial treatment for pain control is usually rest and anti-inflammatory medication, such as aspirin or ibuprofen. Your doctor may suggest a cortisone injection if you have trouble getting your pain under control. Cortisone is a strong anti-inflammatory medication. It can provide good relief, although its effects are temporary.

Your doctor will probably have a physical or occupational therapist direct your rehabilitation program. Your first therapy treatments will try to ease pain and inflammation by using such treatments as heat or ice. Hands-on treatment and various types of exercises are used to improve the range of motion in your shoulder and the nearby joints and muscles.

Later, you will do strengthening exercises to improve the strength and control of the rotator cuff and shoulder blade muscles. Your therapist will help you retrain these muscles to keep the ball of the humerus in the glenoid. This will improve the stability of your shoulder and help it move smoothly during all your activities.

You may need therapy treatments for four to six weeks. Most patients are able to get back to their activities with full use of their arm within this amount of time.

Surgery
If your symptoms don't go away, you may need surgery. Surgical treatment for this condition is still evolving. Surgeons have not known about the problem long enough to adequately evaluate the results of different treatments.

http://www.methodistorthopedics.com/labral-tears

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

I think Chicago-Milwaukee will go 7, it will be up for grabs at that point. The Wiz and Cavs will be looking at a long rest.

Even Brooklyn is currently giving the Hawks a tough fight.

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
On a serious note, should the Celtics even go after this guy despite his assumed-resentment towards the Celtics and Kelly Olynyk since he torn his labrum? Will this have any impact on his scoring and rebounding abilities, regardless?

My vote is no, just because I don't like Love's attitude in general nor his complete void of defensive effort/ability.

Funny enough though I think Chicago has the edge on Cleveland with or without Love.

I felt so too.

Cleveland is very weak in the front court, and Love+Mozgov vs Gasol+Noah is not a matchup that would have gone Cleveland's way.  If they Start Thompson + Mozgov it may actually be better for them, but the lack of depth and frontcourt scoring will hurt them.

Also Chicago's tough interior defense (Noah + Gasol + Gibson) is going to make it much harder for Lebron and Kyrie to get in to the paint.  Most likely they will be settling on a larger quantity of jump shots, which really is exactly what you want against a team like this.

Chicago have a lot of scoring potential in Rose, Butler and Gasol and even with Love (who's a major defensive liability) out, Cleveland is still going to have trouble stopping those guys.  Defense is not that team's strong point. 

I'm going to call a tight series.  I pick Chicago for the 4-2 series win.  If Love was there I would isntead call it 4-3, but I think for me Chicago is the favorite for me either way.

Same deal if Cleveland played Washington - just too much firepower and size for Cleveland to match in a 7 game series.  Wall, Beal, Pierce on offense, plus the size of Nene, Humphries and Gortat?  Clevleand are (IMO) no match for that.  Plus if there is anybody who has a history of big games against Lebron, it's Paul Pierce.  I could almost guarantee that in at least one of those games, Pierce would have Lebron's number.
In any of those series, Cleveland will have the best player and in most the second best player on the floor.  They will be favored with and without Love to win. 

And I think you are greatly overselling Chicago's interior defense.  They are all good man to man defenders, but none of them are great help defenders or shot blockers.  James will have a field day in that series and I can't see Rose keeping up with Irving at this point either.  And Cleveland with Shumpert and James can more than lock down Rose and Butler on the other end of the floor.  Mozgov and Thompson are both athletic and strong defenders.  Even without Love I think Cleveland wins that series in 5 maybe 6 games. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I want to like the Bulls , cause I like the players .  But seriously Noah is about useless right now , he is not dominating at all , Bucks using the Bulls up .  On paper Bulls look awesome , in person , not so much.

For Bulls to beat Cavs ,  Rose and Noah have to play Super Star ball,  not just avg.  or oK . 

Other than Butler , the Bulls aren't playing much like a contender.   Sloppy ball handling .  Rose s pocket is getting picked , turnovers every where ......very poor basketball for this group.

LeBron will kill the Bulls if they don't give 100 % full energy

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It depends on if Rose, is effective.  If so, I think Chicago could still give them troubles.

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2015, 08:43:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just don't know about the Bulls right now.  They've been shaky all season.  Looking really, really good at times then looking like a mid 90s NBA team at other times.  If they can bring that "A" game, then CLE is in trouble.

I picked them to come out of the East at the beginning of the season. Thought it would take the Cavs a year to figure it all out.  I'll stay with that pick but at a lesser confidence level,  Cavs are certainly vulnerable, though. Bulls still need to close out a pesky Bucks teams.  Pretty shocking that they would lose a close out game at home last night. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'm really liking the Wizards to come out of the East now. Their play style is built for the playoffs with bully ball inside with Nene and Gortat. The bigs can pass, they got outside shooting in Beal and Pierce, strong rebounding, a good wing defender in Porter, and they can get into the paint with Wall. If anything lets them down it will be coaching, but if they get to the Cavs then it's anyones to take IMO.

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just don't know about the Bulls right now.  They've been shaky all season.  Looking really, really good at times then looking like a mid 90s NBA team at other times.  If they can bring that "A" game, then CLE is in trouble.

I picked them to come out of the East at the beginning of the season. Thought it would take the Cavs a year to figure it all out.  I'll stay with that pick but at a lesser confidence level,  Cavs are certainly vulnerable, though. Bulls still need to close out a pesky Bucks teams.  Pretty shocking that they would lose a close out game at home last night.

In some ways it makes sense the Bucks would be able to hang with the Bulls for a bit.  Both teams are built to play this messy sub-40% FG slogging style.

The Cavs, on the other hand, are a finesse team even with the additions of Shumpert and Mozgov.  The true test for the Bulls against the Cavs will be whether Gasol, Mirotic, and Gibson can carry their offense enough with Butler expending a lot of energy on the defensive end covering either LeBron or Irving.  And can Rose bring his offense consistently against Shumpert and not get torched by Irving?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

In some ways it makes sense the Bucks would be able to hang with the Bulls for a bit.  Both teams are built to play this messy sub-40% FG slogging style.

The Cavs, on the other hand, are a finesse team even with the additions of Shumpert and Mozgov.  The true test for the Bulls against the Cavs will be whether Gasol, Mirotic, and Gibson can carry their offense enough with Butler expending a lot of energy on the defensive end covering either LeBron or Irving.  And can Rose bring his offense consistently against Shumpert and not get torched by Irving?

Chicago should start Hinrich instead of Dunleavy and have Hinrich defend Kyrie

No way Rose can keep up with Kyrie.