Author Topic: Basketball Insiders rumors: Trading Wallace, Dallas interested in Crowder, etc.  (Read 9924 times)

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-after-being-swept-what-is-next/

The Celtics were playing with house money in the postseason. They had won enough games to get in, but were in no way the battled-tested sort of team that could win a series; however, they made a couple of games in the series against the Cleveland Cavaliers a little closer than anyone would like. It’s unfortunate that the series ended in controversy, especially with Kevin Love and Kelly Olynyk getting tangled up on a 50-50 play that resulted in Love dislocating his shoulder. That will unfortunately mare what should be seen as an impressive season for a team that was supposed to be rebuilding.

The Celtics have some business to attend to, namely their own free agents and continuing to cull out the veterans on the roster.

Celtics forward Brandon Bass is arguably the biggest free agent of the bunch. He told Basketball Insiders’ Jessica Camerato last night that he’d like to be back, but hasn’t received any indications from the Celtics yet on where they view him. Celtics president Danny Ainge has said a few times this season that he’d like Bass back, but it’s time to do a new deal and we’ll see what the market offers Bass.

Forward Jonas Jerebko is in a similar boat, entering unrestricted free agency in July. The Celtics have said they would like to retain Jerebko too; however he is free to explore his options and unless the Celtics put a big number on the table, they may lose him to free agency.

The Celtics also have the option to restrict the free agency of Jae Crowder with a $1.1 million qualifying offer, something they are expected to do. Crowder may not command a huge contract this summer, but he will likely get a sizable raise over the $915,000 he earned last season. Word is the Dallas Mavericks may get into the bidding on Crowder so things may get interesting.

Gerald Wallace remains the lone veteran contract Boston would like to move and sources say the Celtics would be willing to part with one of the half dozen or so first-round draft picks they have amassed to move him this offseason. Wallace will be entering the final year of his contract and is owed $10.1 million.

The Celtics, as things stand today, have $45.67 in salary commitments next season, which could equate to roughly $21 million in cap space depending on how they manage their own free agents. One interesting thing to note is that Boston could seriously be in the mix for the aforementioned Love, as Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports wrote yesterday.

The C’s are expected to be aggressive in free agency, so it will be interesting to see how hard they try and move off cap luggage and increase their usable cap space.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm not sure how smart this is.  Isn't his contract coming off the books? 

And I want Crowdah Chowdah back.  That dude has Celtics spirit.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm not sure how smart this is.  When is his contract coming off the books?  I thought his last year was this year.

And I want Crowdah Chowdah back.  That dude has Celtics spirit.

Yeah, he's expiring in 2016. However, if they're looking to move him, then that would indicate they want to make major moves in free agency. We're under the cap so moving him wouldn't make sense unless a couple of big signings are made.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
1.  Crowder is a certainty to stay, unless two major stars commit to coming to Boston.

2.  The only way I see Ainge trading a 1st to get rid of Wallace is if its the 28th pick this year.

Mike

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Bradley sully zeller wallace and 2 picks for cousins

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
To me, this is Danny telling to the league that is willing to give a pick for Wallace if he has a 2nd great player coming.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dallas could take their revenge on the Rondo trade and offer Crowder 5-6 million a season.

Would danny match?  up to what point

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Dallas could take their revenge on the Rondo trade and offer Crowder 5-6 million a season.

Would danny match?  up to what point

F Mark Cuban. Spoiled little brat.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The $45.67 certainly doesn't account for the Rondo or Prince TPEs, nor the cap holds for UFAs like Datome, Bass, and Jerebko.

Not sure whether it accounts for Crowder's QO, or the cap holds for picks #16 and #28.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I want Crowder back big time. Its up to him to sign and offer sheet or not in the end so we'll see. I think he is completely bought in to be a Celtic and what it means, so hopefully he wants to stay for a reasonable price. Crowder is a guy we need if we get one or two stars. He is a glue guy and a perfect role player to have.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i dont think dallas want crowder really bad
as they are paying parsons a ton and still have aminu who is less of a 3P shooter but can defend, which was the role crowder kind of played

also i wouldnt mind bringing back crowder

but losing bass and jerebko

they wont necessarily improve their game to become more than a role player
and will probably prefer to play for a playoff team
 or a team that may overpay for them

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
as they are paying parsons a ton and still have aminu who is less of a 3P shooter but can defend, which was the role crowder kind of played

Cuban probably just wants to bid up his price to get even for the Rondo fiasco.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Crowder is a fan favourite but is not a guy the team has to stress about keeping.  Dwight Powell could of done some things Crowder did if he was given some more mins

This said I would like Crowder back but he is not worth 6 million a season.  3.5 -4.5 million is fine.

If Dallas pays 5 million an over, they can have him. 

We could replace him with RHJ or Justin Anderson via draft

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If signing Crowder takes up cap space that makes it harder to sign a free agent star, you let him go.  If you have a choice between letting Crowder go or sending out a first with Gerald Wallace, you sign Crowder and say goodbye to Crash.

Crowder has value.  I'd lean towards keeping him so long as he remains a tradeable asset.  If you sign him for MLE-level money, I think he can still be moved in a year if you to salary dump his contract to make room for acquiring a roster upgrade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Have a hard time thinking that no team in the NBA is willing to give Crowder the full MLE.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague