Author Topic: keep the grit and balls  (Read 3359 times)

Re: keep the grit and balls
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

I agree with your KO/Sully assessment and was thinking on creating yet another thread on how people are feeling now. I truly believe KO has more tools to be the better player - his ability to shoot, pass, and drive as a seven footer makes him one of the more unique players in this league; however, he also needs to learn to play like a big man - and this is what will really make or break him as a player.

Sully, on the other hand, is coming back from his injury as out of shape as ever, but he was still able to box out the Cleveland bigs and also maintain his soft touch around the rim. I don't mind him shooting once or twice a game from three, but he needs to bully people around inside. I do believe he has the attitude we are looking for in our young nucleus. I (like so many others) wish he could just devote more to a healthy eating lifestyle. It would do everything for him.

Yes, KO can shoot. But he can only shoot when he is not defended. In his two seasons we have read those stupid Dirk comparisons over and over again. Those are still as ridiculous as ever. Dirk is creating his own shot on post ups, fade aways and contested 3's. KO only shoots catch and shoot jumpers when wide open. If a defender is as near as 6ft, he will do a pump fake and try to drive.

KO can be defended by anyone, it will only take a while before every NBA coach knows this. He is used to spread the floor. They try to lure the big man out of the paint. Next season coaches will just go small, and let KO be defended by a guard or a small forward. They can do this because in no way Kelly can use size mismatch. We've all seen him trying to post up smaller players once in a while. And it's just laughable. I think Isiah can defend Kelly in the post.

Softest big man ever seen. Good shooter though.

Just my humble opinion.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I know a lot of people don't like Turner, but I put him in that category as well.  He stepped up when things got tough in a couple of games in this series.

Turner, Crowder, Jarebco, Smart and IT. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I have a lot more confidence in Bradley than others do on the boards it seems. I trust his offense and already see a lot out of Marcus during year one. Hopefully he improves and the pairing can co-exist.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
We need Smart and Crowder . ....they ate tuff guys....the team is too FAT and Soft ......Sully + KO ......

We don't have an enforcer .....a big man that don't back down

We need Cousins

You probably want your enforcer to be a guy who you can afford to miss for a game if he gets suspended for doing some enforcing.  However, you probably want him to be more useful than Kendrick Perkins if you need him to soak up some minutes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I agree with your KO/Sully assessment and was thinking on creating yet another thread on how people are feeling now. I truly believe KO has more tools to be the better player - his ability to shoot, pass, and drive as a seven footer makes him one of the more unique players in this league; however, he also needs to learn to play like a big man - and this is what will really make or break him as a player.

Sully, on the other hand, is coming back from his injury as out of shape as ever, but he was still able to box out the Cleveland bigs and also maintain his soft touch around the rim. I don't mind him shooting once or twice a game from three, but he needs to bully people around inside. I do believe he has the attitude we are looking for in our young nucleus. I (like so many others) wish he could just devote more to a healthy eating lifestyle. It would do everything for him.

Yes, KO can shoot. But he can only shoot when he is not defended. In his two seasons we have read those stupid Dirk comparisons over and over again. Those are still as ridiculous as ever. Dirk is creating his own shot on post ups, fade aways and contested 3's. KO only shoots catch and shoot jumpers when wide open. If a defender is as near as 6ft, he will do a pump fake and try to drive.

KO can be defended by anyone, it will only take a while before every NBA coach knows this. He is used to spread the floor. They try to lure the big man out of the paint. Next season coaches will just go small, and let KO be defended by a guard or a small forward. They can do this because in no way Kelly can use size mismatch. We've all seen him trying to post up smaller players once in a while. And it's just laughable. I think Isiah can defend Kelly in the post.

Softest big man ever seen. Good shooter though.

Just my humble opinion.

I just think there is a lot more to KO's game than we really get to see - and that is his fault. You say that it's laughable to see him post up, but his fall-away, one-leg jumper was one of the most Dirk-esque shots I have ever seen. It's pretty clear he won't ever reach Dirk-level and it's true he is soft, but it's because he still has a guard-mentality. If he ever learns to combine those [unique] skills with actual seven-footer skill, then watch out.

As for Sully, his skills just translate better right now. He is a plus rebounder, has a decent post-up game and jumper, and he relishes contact.

I would really like to see both of these guys reach their potential, but they each have major [mental] flaws they need to work through.

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I know a lot of people don't like Turner, but I put him in that category as well.  He stepped up when things got tough in a couple of games in this series.

Turner, Crowder, Jarebco, Smart and IT.

One very underrated thing about Turner is his desire to go get rebounds. He was also our major playmaker a lot of the time, but this isn't necessarily a good thing as he did about all he could do as a primary ball-handler. It isn't fair to him to say that we need to upgrade the SF spot, since he did such an admirable job, but somebody who can spread the floor that doesn't need the ball in his hands so much maybe a better fit going forward.

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Draft and FA can't come soon enough.  The KO & Sully talk fells old and I'm thirsty for new pieces.

Smart proved he belongs. Young will need to next year. Crowder and AB are nice but lack a certain something. I like what Zeller did much of this season, however,  we continue to need that interior defense and rebounding.

Bring on the retooling phase.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Totally agree with the OP. We won a lot of games because we played tough. We played the Cavs tough. We need to keep that.

For the future, a Smart, AB, Crowder 1, 2, 3, could work. The D would be fantastic. The thing is, we would need a major improvement at the 4 and/or 5 offensively to make it work.

Sully is now entering a contract year. Now he probably will come to camp lighter and in shape. Now when it counts financially. He be worth his next contract or exceed it, but given his track record he is somewhat of a risk. Best bet is Sully comes in plays well and we trade him mid season and get a good asset.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 07:49:44 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

You say that it's laughable to see him post up, but his fall-away, one-leg jumper was one of the most Dirk-esque shots I have ever seen. It's pretty clear he won't ever reach Dirk-level and it's true he is soft, but it's because he still has a guard-mentality. If he ever learns to combine those [unique] skills with actual seven-footer skill, then watch out.

I agree on the one legged jumper. But the thing is, Dirk gets it of whenever he wants to. By posting up strong, being a thread to get to the basket, and than fading away on one leg.

Out of what??15?? attempts this season, Kelly got it of about 5 times and got blocked or out-forced on the other attempts.

Not really a signature move if you ask me.

He has played in college for 4 years, and now 2 years of NBA basketball. If after 6 years he still can't play as a big man, than i'm afraid that's never going to happen. He'll be 25 next season. Sure he could still get a little better, but i think Kelly is what he is. If he was 21, things would be different.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 08:03:50 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Draft Justin Anderson
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.