Author Topic: Draymond Green and Boogie Cousins  (Read 4450 times)

Draymond Green and Boogie Cousins
« on: April 27, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I would offer Green an unmatchable contract with a poison pill. I think he would really flourish in Brad Stevens offense. Would be a legit all star candidate imo.

What do you guys think? I'd also like to package the rest of what ever it takes to also add Boogie cousins. Those two additions would make the Celtics a 50 win team.

Re: Draymond Green and Boogie Cousins
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Warriors have Green's full Bird rights.  There is no poison pill scenario.  The Warriors seem very willing to match any contract offer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I just looked this up and had to do a double take, but the warriors are in absolute salary cap hell next year. They have 83 million committed next year without Green!

David Lee absolutely is destroying their books making 15.5 million next year off the bench.
Andre Iguadola is at 11 million.

While these deals range from meh to really good, they have another 37 million committed to bogut, curry and thompson. What is going to happen there?

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 04:33:23 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I imagine the Warriors will pay the big huge taxes for the next couple of years if it means competing for a title. After 2 years they can find trades to make to get out of salary cap hell. Most of their guys have two more years after this season anyhow.

I don't think Green deserves a max contract, but I think he will get one. A lot of teams will be willing to overpay. And it very well may become worth it.

Would love Cousins, but don't know what we could really trade for him. I imagine Sully would be part of the deal, but who else? What picks? Maybe Wallace to match contracts? Probably would need a third team or something to help facilitate the trade.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
This is an interesting article on rookies and Bird Rights: http://www.vantagesports.com/story/VGJW5CYAACYAveHI/rookies-forcing-themselves-off-teams-in-five-years

It seems like it will cost some money, but I think we can offer Draymond Green 25% of the Salary Cap, or $16.7 million, with 4.5% annual raises.  Golden State can offer that too, but with 7.5% annual raises.  That will murder their cap completely, but I think he's worth it.  I wonder what they do.  Draymond Green, Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley would be so brutal.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think the Knicks are going to go after Cousins on draft night. 

Scenerio: Knicks trade #1 (Towns) , Calderon, Sved, Tim Hardaway Jr. for Cousins

Kings trade #6, Collison, Gay to Denver for Ty Lawson, Chandler , 2nd round pick

Nuggets select with #6 WCS, #7 Stanley Johnson

Knicks lineup
C- Cousins
PF - ?
SF - Anthony
SG - ?
PG - ?

Kings lineup
C  - Towns
PF - ?
SF - Chandler/Hardaway Jr.
SF - Mclemore/Stauskus
PG - Lawson/Calderon

Denver lineup
C- WCS/Nurkic
PF - Faried
SF - Johnson
SG - Gay
PG - Harris

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
And this is why we need to start looking at Harrison Barnes.  Things could happen to get some money off their books and steal Barnes in the process....

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I am not a salary cap expert, but I thought there was a hard cap now. They have to offload salary to sign Draymond for 16 million?

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I just looked this up and had to do a double take, but the warriors are in absolute salary cap hell next year. They have 83 million committed next year without Green!

David Lee absolutely is destroying their books making 15.5 million next year off the bench.
Andre Iguadola is at 11 million.

While these deals range from meh to really good, they have another 37 million committed to bogut, curry and thompson. What is going to happen there?

I would go with the assumption that the Warriors ownership is at least as willing as Celtics ownership to pay luxury tax to keep a contender together.  The cap is projected to rise to $89 million for 2016-2017 with the luxury tax threshold at $108 million, so maybe they take the luxury tax hit for one year, then not be in bad shape after David Lee's contract expires.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I am not a salary cap expert, but I thought there was a hard cap now. They have to offload salary to sign Draymond for 16 million?

There's not a hard cap for every team.  There is a hard cap if you do things like use the full MLE or acquire a player via sign-and-trade.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I still can't believe went in the 2nd round.
Danny could of drafted Green instead of Fab Melo

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
And this is why we need to start looking at Harrison Barnes.  Things could happen to get some money off their books and steal Barnes in the process....

I like Barnes, and if possible we should take a good look at him. He's a talented kid, still young and with untapped potential. Could be the kinda guy we need.

Celtics trade 2016 MIA 2nd to GS for Barnes and Lee in a salary dump.

Then Celtics trade one of Olynyk/Sullinger, #16 and the better of the 2016 DAL/MEM 2nds to DET for #8. Select Cauley-Stein. Resign Crowder.

Smart/Thomas
Bradley/Young
Barnes/Crowder/Young
Sullinger or KO/Lee
WCS/Zeller.

I think that team has a legit shot at 45-50 wins with Stevens at the helm, the assets are still there and there is plenty of room to grow. And more to the point, it's realistic. People should be more optimistic of how many different moves DA can make here this summer and Barnes is one we should look at.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 05:14:37 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I wouldn't overpay for DGreen.  He is very good, but not a max guy.  I don't think so.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I wouldn't overpay for DGreen.  He is very good, but not a max guy.  I don't think so.

At this point, I'd probably overpay for anyone with good talent. Max talent this year would be at about $16 million beginning salary (for a vet with his years of service). Next year? Potentially $21 million+.

So if you're going to overpay, this free-agency is the time to do it.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean, if you could land those two this off-season, we'd probably vault to a top-3 team in the East.  I don't think that there's any way that GS doesn't match a deal for Green, but I'd sign him if we could pair him with a legit star like DMC.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes