Author Topic: Celtics Willing to Use 1st to Dump Wallace  (Read 5975 times)

Re: Celtics Willing to Use 1st to Dump Wallace
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Could it be that they have both a free agent they believe they can get and a trade to use the Rondo TE for?
That doesn't sound like something we need extra cap for.

Because the way it is now, the Celtics have to basically give up the TE to get a large amount of cap space.

But if they can trade Wallace for a late draft pick and take back little to no money, they could create cap space and still use the 12 million TE.   Add two good players. 

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 02:47:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Could the Pacers and Roy Hibbert be the target?
It makes sense the Pacers organization has been getting frustrated with Roy and wallace would be an easier person to buyout.
Deandre Jordan seems like a good fit for the Pacers and they could be trying to make a run at him during free agency.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2442292-beckbucher-debate-ideal-trade-scenarios-for-roy-hibbert
Hibbert has fallen off a cliff. He's also a 1-year rental.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Could it be that they have both a free agent they believe they can get and a trade to use the Rondo TE for?

Because the way it is now, the Celtics have to basically give up the TE to get a large amount of cap space.

But if they can trade Wallace for a late draft pick and take back little to no money, they could create cap space and still use the 12 million TE.   Add two good players.
The TE is a cap hold, right? I always thought we have enough to fit a max contract (for a younger player), and retain the TE, but maybe I am mistaken.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Could the Pacers and Roy Hibbert be the target?
It makes sense the Pacers organization has been getting frustrated with Roy and wallace would be an easier person to buyout.
Deandre Jordan seems like a good fit for the Pacers and they could be trying to make a run at him during free agency.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2442292-beckbucher-debate-ideal-trade-scenarios-for-roy-hibbert

Uggh, that would be a scary team with Jordan patrolling the paint with West and George. It'd be interesting to see them have an athletic rim protector versus Roy.

Not sure that I want Roy. I don't think he fits our run-and-gun system.

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 02:50:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The TE is a cap hold, right? I always thought we have enough to fit a max contract (for a younger player), and retain the TE, but maybe I am mistaken.

Yep, you'd need to renounce the TPE as well as all the old bird rights we have hanging around.

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yep, you'd need to renounce the TPE as well as all the old bird rights we have hanging around.
Well, we have $40 millions committed, and the cap is projected to be $66+ million, so we can surely fit a $16 or so million contract in there.

Of course, if Aldridge can be convinced to come here, I'd give away as many firsts as would be needed to make it happen, but there are few other names I'd sell the house for.

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
My guess is that Ainge has done his due diligence and has gone around the league asking teams how much they might want to absorb Wallace's contract and give him the cap space to sign multiple good free agents.  He won't dump Wallace for the sake of getting rid of him, but he's laying the groundwork for a potential future move.  It probably helps that teams can't hold out for more but have to be willing to underbid Philly.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I mean, obviously it's a move you only do if you're really big on your chances to land some great pieces in free agency.  I just don't see those names being available.  I see most of the big ones (Butler, Leonard, M. Gasol) staying where they're at.  It's feasible that Aldridge could give up on Portland or Love could want to be alpha dog again somewhere other than Cleveland, but even in those two cases I'd be kinda surprised. 

There's a pretty steep drop to the next level of free agency though.  Now you're dealing with guys like Dragic, Draymond Green (neither of whom I'd pay what they're likely to cost), Middleton, rolls of the dice like Lopez or Hibbert, etc. 

If we could convince Aldridge to come here and then throw the kitchen sink at Sacramento for Cousins, then I'd do those moves in a heartbeat - and I'd package Wallace with a pick to make room for that to happen, sure.  But how realistic is that really?  It's a nice pipe dream, but IMO that's all it is. 

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 03:04:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Well, we have $40 millions committed, and the cap is projected to be $66+ million, so we can surely fit a $16 or so million contract in there.

Of course, if Aldridge can be convinced to come here, I'd give away as many firsts as would be needed to make it happen, but there are few other names I'd sell the house for.

Looking at the numbers, if the Celtics can dump Wallace's contract without taking money back and trade the 12 million TE for a player, they would be at a little more then 42 million committed.  Still have enough to go after a top FA.

This would be a great way to add two impact players instead of just one. 

But I can only see such a trade if Ainge has both of those moves already lined up. 

Report: Celtics willing to trade first rounder to dump Gerald Wallace
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:43:32 PM by crownontherocks »

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Just to be clear, a Trade Exception is a cap hold, and you only use a TE in a deal if you are not currently under the cap.  Thus, if the Celts are under the cap and trade for a player without sending commensurate salary back, they'll just be absorbing the player into their cap space. You don't have to follow any financial trade rules when the salaries you are taking back wouldn't put you over the cap.

It doesn't really make sense to say that you can use cap space to sign some free agents and then use the Trade Exception afterward.  Whatever salary you use the TE to acquire would have fit into the space occupied by the Trade Exception's cap hold, anyway.

You don't really "trade" a trade exception.  Rather, if the other team sends you a player without taking any salary back, they get a trade exception in return.  A trade exception basically just acts like cap space, but it's possible to have one even though you're over the cap in committed salaries.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
makes no sense to try dump him now
he is only here for another season

unless ainge is trying to get love (which i doubt would sign with us) or another max free agent
it seems like a waste of a pick

we should (as much as i hate to say this) keep wallace on the bench- he's a veteran and does not negatively influence the younger players