Author Topic: Celtics Willing to Use 1st to Dump Wallace  (Read 5963 times)

Re: Celtics Willing to Use 1st to Dump Wallace
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny is not dumb enough to give up a near lotto pick just to get rid of Wallace

You give up the 28th pick to get rid of wallace .  Around the 25-30 range. Not 16

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I understand WHY we'd want to dump him, what I'm saying is that I can't see the requisite conditions building up. No big names are available this offseason, either through FA or trade.
Plenty of names big and small are available this offseason. You've just already assumed you know how the entire offseason will play out.
So do you. "Plenty of names big and small" is a convenient formulation to avoid mentioning any name in specific. Last year at this time, it was pretty certain already that Love and LeBron were in business. This year, who are you getting? Khris Middleton?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Could it be that they have both a free agent they believe they can get and a trade to use the Rondo TE for?

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 02:14:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Could it be that they have both a free agent they believe they can get and a trade to use the Rondo TE for?
That doesn't sound like something we need extra cap for.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I understand WHY we'd want to dump him, what I'm saying is that I can't see the requisite conditions building up. No big names are available this offseason, either through FA or trade.
Plenty of names big and small are available this offseason. You've just already assumed you know how the entire offseason will play out.
So do you. "Plenty of names big and small" is a convenient formulation to avoid mentioning any name in specific. Last year at this time, it was pretty certain already that Love and LeBron were in business. This year, who are you getting? Khris Middleton?
I have zero desire to discuss it with you. Not going to be productive or engaging for me.

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
My guess is that we don't really have anyone Ainge likes with the Clippers pick and no interest from any teams in using it to trade up. Might as well use it to clear Wallaces cap space

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It's an unsourced, no-name report and pretty much the same one we heard last offseason. In short, you should believe this about as much as you consider the loonie on the street raving "the world is ending" to be a reliable source.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It's an unsourced, no-name report and pretty much the same one we heard last offseason. In short, you should believe this about as much as you consider the loonie on the street raving "the world is ending" to be a reliable source.
I'm confident that Ainge is looking to line up options if he needs to dump Wallace, simply because that's how Ainge operates.

He constantly calls all over the league making offers.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I have zero desire to discuss it with you. Not going to be productive or engaging for me.
Good, so it seems we can agree your claim is just as groundless as mine.

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Google 2015 NBA Free-Agents, and go through the list... why you need someone to enumerate them for you seems incredibly pointless.

Oh well, moving on.

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Including our potential 1st round picks, we should have around $29 million available to us if we stretch Wallace and about $32 million if we dump him.

So we'll see what's needed.

Yeah, the range of situations where we need enough cap space to get rid of Wallace, but so much that we have to trade him instead of stretching him seems pretty slim.  But it would likely mean a major talent infusion so if that's what it takes, so be it.

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Including our potential 1st round picks, we should have around $29 million available to us if we stretch Wallace and about $32 million if we dump him.

So we'll see what's needed.

Yeah, the range of situations where we need enough cap space to get rid of Wallace, but so much that we have to trade him instead of stretching him seems pretty slim.  But it would likely mean a major talent infusion so if that's what it takes, so be it.

That's the assumption if we have the 1st rounders signed, if we wait I think they only take up about $500 thousand and $800 thousand or such, so we should have potentially more cap space before the dust settles with free-agent movements.

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 02:34:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Google 2015 NBA Free-Agents, and go through the list... why you need someone to enumerate them for you seems incredibly pointless.

Oh well, moving on.
He's the one making the positive statement. I was merely curious what's the big name that's worth giving up a first rounder for. You'd guess that if there were plenty, it wouldn't be hard for us to discuss specific names instead of throwing around pretty pointless general claims.

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 02:39:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Personal opinion, but I don't think we'd dump Wallace on draft night, per se.  We might agree to dump Wallace to a team (Philly, Orlando, Minny, etc.). But any trade would be held off until the fee agent period to potentially make it a 3-way deal with a team who is losing a max player.  This would enable us to use Wallace's contract to help match salaries with a player's original team, and thus create more salary room.  For example, this would let us sign Kevin Love outright for the max, and acquire in a sign-and-trade Deandre Jordan for the max by sending Wallace and a pick to a tanker, the non-guaranteed contracts of Pressey and Babb, and one of Zeller, Sullinger, or Olynyk to LA.  (Purely an example for salary cap purposes, and not a debate about whether the Clippers would do this or the C's should do this).  Two max players could run for $38 million, which is a number we can't achieve by dumping Wallace outright, and certainly not by stretching him.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Could the Pacers and Roy Hibbert be the target?
It makes sense the Pacers organization has been getting frustrated with Roy and wallace would be an easier person to buyout.
Deandre Jordan seems like a good fit for the Pacers and they could be trying to make a run at him during free agency.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2442292-beckbucher-debate-ideal-trade-scenarios-for-roy-hibbert