Author Topic: Cavs TrueHoop (ESPN Affiliate) Blogger Assigns Some of the Blame to Stevens  (Read 6907 times)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Goon mentality.  Maybe Tie Domi can take Love's spot on the bench.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The idea that he should have Olynyk go back out there to get cheap shotted is hilarious. Sounds like something a high school kid who's read to much high fantasy would come up with.

WARRIOR CODE

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
And I love the fact that they're kind of implicating Stevens being behind the whole roughness aspect of the series. Of our whole roster, KO and Stevens are the "goodiest of the good boys" of the bunch lol

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
How does this stuff make it on ESPN? I feel like that would be a bit of an over the top post here on the blog. To make it onto ESPN (I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything) seems crazy. You would think even an intern proofing would be like, wait so this is saying the coach should have sent his own player out there to get hit? I have never heard of any coach saying/doing that any level of basketball. It is hard to imagine that happening.
Its not on ESPN proper its a blog post on a site basically the same sort as Celticsblog. Just they feed to ESPN instead of SBNation.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anyone catch Mike & Mike this morning?  Out of the literally dozens of NBA analysts they have, they decided to bring Bruce Bowen to be the arbitrator of what was dirty and not dirty.  Thought that was rather hilarious. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Luigi is known to be play extremely dirty and physical like on this fearless attack!

https://vine.co/v/euEeaT7nmLW

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How does this stuff make it on ESPN? I feel like that would be a bit of an over the top post here on the blog. To make it onto ESPN (I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything) seems crazy. You would think even an intern proofing would be like, wait so this is saying the coach should have sent his own player out there to get hit? I have never heard of any coach saying/doing that any level of basketball. It is hard to imagine that happening.
Its not on ESPN proper its a blog post on a site basically the same sort as Celticsblog. Just they feed to ESPN instead of SBNation.
Truehoop, a.k.a Henry Abbot IS an ESPN affiliate. His official title is Senior ESPN Content Editor. But yes, he's in the Stephen A Smith category of unbiased analysis.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Luigi is known to be play extremely dirty and physical like on this fearless attack!

https://vine.co/v/euEeaT7nmLW

LOL, this made my day

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Oh god I just read the entire blog post.

He writes a massive wall of text blaming EVERYONE for the injury. He blames the Refs, the League, the announcers, everyone!

How dare the entire world conspire to hurt your precious PF maliciously!

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
What incentive did Stevens have to "control his team's roughhouse antics" in this series?

It was the only way they were going to have a chance of taking a game off the Cavs.  Beat them up a little and make them check out for a game.

And I mean, yes, we played them roughly, but nothing was egregious by any means. It says a lot about the coddling of the Cavs that a team like ours was able to get under the skin.
Look at it from the other side.  A clearly inferior opponent plays you very roughly for 3 games and then 10 minutes into game 4, a player has a clearly dirty non-basketball play that injuries one of your best players and seriously diminishes your title chances.  How would you react in that situation?

The refs let the game get out of hand and frankly let the series get out of hand.  It was a tough hard fought series, but game 4 was just silly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline cm43sports

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Some of what is written in that post is inaccurate and some is written in a way that is obviously slanted to a ridiculous degree. For instance, Isaiah Thomas did not follow LeBron out of bounds; Thomas was out of bounds from his shot and LeBron kind of runs into him before Thomas gave a half-hearted swipe at the ball. He also completely overlooks the fact that Love grabbed Olynk's arm not but two seconds before it was reversed and Love was injured. I also never saw Crowder hit Smith in the head, it looked like they were just battling for position and got tangled before Smith hit Crowder.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
What incentive did Stevens have to "control his team's roughhouse antics" in this series?

It was the only way they were going to have a chance of taking a game off the Cavs.  Beat them up a little and make them check out for a game.

And I mean, yes, we played them roughly, but nothing was egregious by any means. It says a lot about the coddling of the Cavs that a team like ours was able to get under the skin.
Look at it from the other side.  A clearly inferior opponent plays you very roughly for 3 games and then 10 minutes into game 4, a player has a clearly dirty non-basketball play that injuries one of your best players and seriously diminishes your title chances.  How would you react in that situation?

The refs let the game get out of hand and frankly let the series get out of hand.  It was a tough hard fought series, but game 4 was just silly.

I didn't see any play that was "clearly dirty" until Perk's kung-fu chop screen and Smith's backfist. If Love didn't try to dig his elbow into KOs ribcage, the injury would have never happened.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
the part where he blames the announcers because they were cheering for the celtics was a real hoot. ESPN wants the Celtics to win?

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

If KO's play was a clearly dirty non-basketball play, then for the sake of logical consistency you must say that Love made a similar dirty non-basketball play just moments before. The terms "non-basketball play" and "dirty" are getting thrown around way too much anymore. How is it not a basketball play when KO was hooking his arm (as Love did to KO moments before) in order to try and get the rebound? That's called a foul, but if you equate that to a "non-basketball play" then there are 50+ of those a game. The spinning backfist by JR is a dirty non-basketball play, because there's no logical reason he should be throwing those in a basketball game.

It was just an accident, and I'd be saying the exact same thing if things were reversed. And I don't really blame Love for saying that in the heat of the moment. I think he's dead wrong and will eventually realize that (I mean, how could he not when he did the exact same thing on the same play?), but many people would be just as emotional in those situations.

Honestly, I thought Perk's initial screen was fine, too. It was definitely a flagrant 1 foul, but he went out there to set a message. It's just a hard screen to let the opponent know you won't back down. A flagrant 1? Yes, so what, in the long run a screen like that could mean more to your team than the two free throws. However, his antics afterwards by swiping at Crowder were unacceptable, and he should have been kicked out for that.