Author Topic: Cedric Maxwell claims Cavs players told him they'd retaliate for Love's injury  (Read 6794 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Crowder always seemed like a hardworking and extremely likeable player. I can't really recall him taunting or preening in a way that is very common for NBA players. I also can't really remember ever hearing something bad said about him by an opposing player. Am I just being a blind homer on this?

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I don't doubt that it was retaliation, but why would they tell Max?

Someone said he was talking to Perk about in halftime or something. It makes more sense coming from Perk than the others, since he was here for quite a few years and probably developed a relationship with Max. My guess is, if it's true, Perk was just fired up enough to not think about the potential ramifications of letting this slip and told Max.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
the celtics need to make sure they stand up for their own players.

wade intentionally hurt rondo and never faced any consequences.
he similarly took a monster cheap shot on IT this year and didn't get his comeuppance.

now the cavs are taking shots at us.

the league won't protect the celtics, they turn a blind eye to the actions of favored teams/stars.

if we tolerate this, we'll continue to be victims. at some point we need to send a message and deliver some payback, not to some scrub, but to their best players. maybe we'll be "dirty" etc, but that's a key element in becoming a better team, a team that garners respect form players and officials alike.

real winners don't let themselves be pushed around - just ask the heat, lakers, celtics, bulls, pistons, etc.
i love crowder's attitude BTW. the whole team needs a little more of that attitude. zeller and KO in particular need some of that. your opponents need a little bit of fear and doubt when they come into the lane. a little bit of that swagger will help this team a lot in the playoffs next year.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Because the point of retaliation is to make it known it will happen. That's my guess.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

Even if Max did hear something, I doubt he will be called to testify at the suspensions hearing.

Perk was clearly premeditated.  He deserved the foul and the Flagrant 1 Tech.  In my opinion, he also deserves a one game suspension for getting his hand up in Crowder's face.  It didn't amount to much but is was the kind of after the whistle escalation that the league should punish.

Smith was not premeditated, it was just a violent, angry, and extremely dangerous act.  Anything less than 2 playoff games suspension and the league should expect criticism and claims of favoritism. 

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Did Smith really "smack" him? It looks like a close-fisted punch.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Checking in perk, who sat on the bench for all but a minute this series, and having him go after crowder immediately was one of the most transparent retaliations I've ever seen. 

Why did they target crowder though?  Why didn't they take out olynyk ?

Edit:  read the post above me.  Good explanation

If you believe the Cleveland blogger I linked to in another thread, Stevens went to great lengths to keep Olynyk away from Perkins, including pulling KO back from the scorer's table when Perk checked into the game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Is any of this supposed to be shocking? I'm not being snarky, but like LarBrd said, everything about the rest of the game after the Love injury - including Stevens deliberately holding Olynyk out of the game - was ridiculously obvious.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532

he similarly took a monster cheap shot on IT this year and didn't get his comeuppance.

the league won't protect the celtics, they turn a blind eye to the actions of favored teams/stars.

if we tolerate this, we'll continue to be victims. at some point we need to send a message and deliver some payback, not to some scrub, but to their best players. maybe we'll be "dirty" etc, but that's a key element in becoming a better team, a team that garners respect form players and officials alike.

real winners don't let themselves be pushed around - just ask the heat, lakers, celtics, bulls, pistons, etc.
i love crowder's attitude BTW. the whole team needs a little more of that attitude. zeller and KO in particular need some of that. your opponents need a little bit of fear and doubt when they come into the lane. a little bit of that swagger will help this team a lot in the playoffs next year.
If Red were still around, this is the type of situation he would insert himself into. At the very least he'd be calling the Cavs out publicly - but more than likely he'd have been in the middle of it yesterday sticking up for his guys.

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
If I was a Cavs fan I'd just be embarrassed that is the way their team behaves while they are sweeping an inferior opponent.  Not much to root for IMO.  Must be just another example of LJ  being such a great leader.  The Cavs could have had many many flagrant calls on them in that last game if they called them by the book.  I was watching another game, and the refs called a flagrant a couple times during the games, and the announcers just kept saying they were surprised it was called, but that is the rule by the book, and the refs are trying to keep the game under control.  They let Cleveland repeatedly do this the whole game.  These were the plays like where KI hit IT across the head knocking him to the floor, or the play where they pulled Bass to the ground alkwardly under the basket, etc, etc.  So, one could argue, that by letting Cleveland get away with murder on the court, in order to coddle them to an easy four game sweep, the game was out of control resulted with Love being injured.  This is the real problem with not calling a fair game; everybody loses.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not sure how anyone could be surprised at this.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge.

Why else would Perk have come into the game in the 2nd quarter?

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

If Red were still around, this is the type of situation he would insert himself into. At the very least he'd be calling the Cavs out publicly - but more than likely he'd have been in the middle of it yesterday sticking up for his guys.
Was it the max fight that red jumped into?  ;D

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Because the point of retaliation is to make it known it will happen. That's my guess.

I think it that they want the team to know it was retaliation and not just accident.   That would make another team think twice.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This is more than plausible, Perk acted like a goon.  Usually, retaliation is targeted at the guy who did it though.   I think they went after Crowder to protect LeBron and because Crowder ran his mouth about being physical.

Perk is a goon.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532

Was it the max fight that red jumped into?  ;D
The amazing thing about the Max fight is he went after a fan and didn't even get tossed from the game...lol