Author Topic: How can Danny Trade Up  (Read 5142 times)

Re: How can Danny Trade Up
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 11:07:52 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I see the Kings as the best trading partner. They are in a win-now move, but have glaring holes on their roster.

C - Boogie, Back up?
PF - Landry?, Williams?, Thompson?
SF - Gay, Back up?
SG - Ben Mc, Stauskas - high potential, disastrous production so far
PG - Collison, Back up?

We can have a starter offer of stretch-4 in Kelly to pair with Boogie + 16 (say Gerian Grant for PG duties), 28 (Justin Anderson as a capable SF back-up) + 33
for
6th pick (one of WCS or Johnson or Winslow will be there)

We can eat some of the terrible contracts (Thompson?) with the Prince exception.
I agree that they are a good trading partner. I think they really need a pg and I expect Russell and Mudiay to be gone by the time they pick. Moving back to pick up additional assets makes sense for them.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:26 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
To move up, the C's have a lot of assets at their disposal:

1) Their 4 picks this year.
2) One of the 2016 firsts (Brooklyn, Dallas, or our own).
3) One of Sullinger, Olynyk, and Zeller
4) James Young
5) The Minny 1st/2 2nds
6) Our myriad of 2016 2nds
7) Our more distant 1sts
8) Our trade exceptions to absorb salary

For example, in 2013 we held pick #16, and it cost us two 2014 2nd rounders to move to #13.  That is a very easy price to match again if there's someone who slides into the late lottery that piques Danny's interest, as we have four 2016 2nd-rounders, not including the Minny pick.  In 2011, we dropped from 25 to 27 for a 2014 2nd rounder.  Moving up a couple spots from the Clippers pick is also easily affordable.  In other words, I think it's pretty easy to move up 3-5 spots from both of our current selections without sacrificing anything more than 2nd round picks, or at most the Minny pick.  And depending how the draft falls, that may be enough to get a very good player.

To move into the 8-10 range, I think it would cost us #16, the more favorable of our 2016 pick or the Dallas 2016, both Top 7 protected, and one of our 2nd rounders from Philly.  To move to the 6-7 range, I think it's the above, plus a player on a rookie contract (Young, Olynyk, Zeller, or Sullinger).  Possibly the Philly 2nd wouldn't be needed in this case.  To move into the 3-5 range, I think it's #16, the best of our 2016 1sts (Brooklyn, Dallas, our own) with no protection, a rookie deal player that isn't Smart, the Minny pick, and probably a more distant first like the Memphis pick.  I don't see any team with the top 2 picks trading it for a smorgasbord of lesser picks and young players.  #3 admittedly might be a stretch as well, but I think it depends how the lottery shakes out.  For instance, if Sacramento slides up to #3, do they really need to pick their 3rd SG in a row with a top 10 pick (choosing Russell), or might they be willing to slide back this year and acquire a bunch of other pieces, considering they owe multiple future picks?

Anyway, while it's certainly no guarantee the C's trade up (it does take two to tango, after all), I think they can easily move up a few spaces on both of their picks, and get into the top 10 without paying a price that isn't affordable.  And if Ainge identifies a player he thinks is truly special and one he can build a franchise around, he can get that player too, as long as that player isn't Karl-Anthony Towns.

TP. I think that's just about on the nose. Will it take assets to move up? Sure. But depending where we are trying to get up to, the costs will be quite varied. Just for an example of things I think could work.

BOS: Kelly Olynyk + Avery Bradley + #16 and #33 to OKC for Steven Adams, Perry Jones III and #14. This Almost makes too much sense. Kanter played well for OKC but he's gonna want more money than the Thunder will wanna pay. KO is a perfect fit next to Ibaka and they have McGary, plus our two picks in a draft loaded with bigs. They love high 2nds and AB is a perfect fit for that team. He alone could put them over the top. I almost think it may be too much from us but PJ3 has potential, Adams is a legit starting 5 and it would be easier to move up again from #14.

BOS: Avery Bradley + #16 to Utah for #12 and Rodney Hood. Utah has a long standing interest in AB and the desire to compete now. I think WCS, Turner, Oubre Jr and possibly a sliding Johnson is available there.

BOS: Evan Turner OR Avery Bradley + #16, #28 OR #33 and 2016 MIN 1st to Miami for #10. Miami
could use a secondary ball handling forward like ET and a strong off-guard next to Wade.

BOS: Avery Bradley + #16 to Charlotte for #9 and Lance Stephenson. This makes sense for everyone. CHA gets rid of Stephenson who just hasn't worked out, get AB in return and only fall 7 spots. They want to win now.

BOS: Isaiah Thomas + better of 2016 DAL/MEM 2nds to Charlotte for #9, 2017 CHA 1st (Top 15 protected) and Lance Stephenson. I'm pretty sure Mo Williams is a FA and IT is a better match with their group anyways. There's some thought that Stephenson could be the ultimate Stevens reclamation project.

BOS: Kelly Olynyk + #16, #28 and 2016 MIN 1st/2 2nds to Detroit for #8 and a future 2nd. Monroe is pretty much gone from Detroit, and SVG wants to win. He needs a big on the floor next to Drummond who can stretch the floor and give room to Jackson

BOS: James Young + #16, #33, 2016 DAL 1st and 2016 PHI 2nd to Denver for #7. Denver is about to go into a total rebuild. For a good value like an extra 1st, a very high 2nd and a super young guy with high upside like Young they could consider sliding back some this year.

BOS: Jared Sullinger OR Kelly Olynyk + Evan Turner + #16, #28, the highest of the 2016 DAL/BOS 1sts (Top-5 protected) and 2016 MIN 1st/2 2nds to Sacramento for #6. We could possibly even give less if we take one of their bad contracts. If Cousins doesn't force his way out this summer, SAC has to put together a team that will really compete in the west. Turner gives them the extra ball handler they need and Karl can do wonders with a stretch 4 next to DMC.

BOS: James Young + #16, #33, 2016 BRK 1st, 2016 BOS 1st, 2016 MIN 1st, 2016 PHI 2nd and 2018 BOS 1st (Top 10 Protected) to Philidelphia for #3 and Nerlens Noel. Now, Hinkie loves himself some draft picks and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he punts out of the top 5, sells off Noel to the highest bidder or both, especially if he has confidence in the Embiid situation. Embiid makes Noel expendable, and by making a deal like this with us, he does that while also getting possibly 5 1st round picks back, his 2 high 2nds back and a 19 year old with big up-side.

Some people always make it seem like moving up in the draft is going to cost us a fortune and depending on how high up you wanna go, it may. But there's moves abound for Ainge to consider if the price is right. I trust him to only move up in the draft if the player your moving up to get is worth more than the cost your giving up. But this looks like a pretty deep draft and there seems to be a few teams to move up with above us. Gonna be a fun summer I think. Combining productive young guys with our picks is our best value play.

I personally like Winslow, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Oubre Jr., and Turner for us. Really hope we can get one of them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:12:22 PM by BDeCosta26 »

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

4) James Young
5) The Minny 1st/2 2nds
7) Our more distant 1sts

For example, in 2013 we held pick #16, and it cost us two 2014 2nd rounders to move to #13.  That is a very easy price to match again if there's someone who slides into the late lottery that piques Danny's interest, as we have four 2016 2nd-rounders, not including the Minny pick.  In 2011, we dropped from 25 to 27 for a 2014 2nd rounder.  Moving up a couple spots from the Clippers pick is also easily affordable.  In other words, I think it's pretty easy to move up 3-5 spots from both of our current selections without sacrificing anything more than 2nd round picks, or at most the Minny pick.  And depending how the draft falls, that may be enough to get a very good player.

To move into the 8-10 range, I think it would cost us #16, the more favorable of our 2016 pick or the Dallas 2016, both Top 7 protected, and one of our 2nd rounders from Philly.  To move to the 6-7 range, I think it's the above, plus a player on a rookie contract (Young, Olynyk, Zeller, or Sullinger).  Possibly the Philly 2nd wouldn't be needed in this case.  To move into the 3-5 range, I think it's #16, the best of our 2016 1sts (Brooklyn, Dallas, our own) with no protection, a rookie deal player that isn't Smart, the Minny pick, and probably a more distant first like the Memphis pick.  I don't see any team with the top 2 picks trading it for a smorgasbord of lesser picks and young players.  #3 admittedly might be a stretch as well, but I think it depends how the lottery shakes out.  For instance, if Sacramento slides up to #3, do they really need to pick their 3rd SG in a row with a top 10 pick (choosing Russell), or might they be willing to slide back this year and acquire a bunch of other pieces, considering they owe multiple future picks?

Anyway, while it's certainly no guarantee the C's trade up (it does take two to tango, after all), I think they can easily move up a few spaces on both of their picks, and get into the top 10 without paying a price that isn't affordable.  And if Ainge identifies a player he thinks is truly special and one he can build a franchise around, he can get that player too, as long as that player isn't Karl-Anthony Towns.

TP. I think that's just about on the nose. Will it take assets to move up? Sure. But depending where we are trying to get up to, the costs will be quite varied. Just for an example of things I think could work.

BOS: Kelly Olynyk + Avery Bradley + #16 and #33 to OKC for Steven Adams, Perry Jones III and #14. This Almost makes too much sense. Kanter played well for OKC but he's gonna want more money than the Thunder will wanna pay. KO is a perfect fit next to Ibaka and they have McGary, plus our two picks in a draft loaded with bigs. They love high 2nds and AB is a perfect fit for that team. He alone could put them over the top. I almost think it may be too much from us but PJ3 has potential, Adams is a legit starting 5 and it would be easier to move up again from #14.

BOS: Avery Bradley + #16 to Utah for #12 and Rodney Hood. Utah has a long standing interest in AB and the desire to compete now. I think WCS, Turner, Oubre Jr and possibly a sliding Johnson is available there.

BOS: Evan Turner OR Avery Bradley + #16, #28 OR #33 and 2016 MIN 1st to Miami for #10. Miami
could use a secondary ball handling forward like ET and a strong off-guard next to Wade.

BOS: Avery Bradley + #16 to Charlotte for #9 and Lance Stephenson. This makes sense for everyone. CHA gets rid of Stephenson who just hasn't worked out, get AB in return and only fall 7 spots. They want to win now.

BOS: Isaiah Thomas + better of 2016 DAL/MEM 2nds to Charlotte for #9, 2017 CHA 1st (Top 15 protected) and Lance Stephenson. I'm pretty sure Mo Williams is a FA and IT is a better match with their group anyways. There's some thought that Stephenson could be the ultimate Stevens reclamation project.

BOS: Kelly Olynyk + #16, #28 and 2016 MIN 1st/2 2nds to Detroit for #8 and a future 2nd. Monroe is pretty much gone from Detroit, and SVG wants to win. He needs a big on the floor next to Drummond who can stretch the floor and give room to Jackson

BOS: James Young + #16, #33, 2016 DAL 1st and 2016 PHI 2nd to Denver for #7. Denver is about to go into a total rebuild. For a good value like an extra 1st, a very high 2nd and a super young guy with high upside like Young they could consider sliding back some this year.

BOS: Jared Sullinger OR Kelly Olynyk + Evan Turner + #16, #28, the highest of the 2016 DAL/BOS 1sts (Top-5 protected) and 2016 MIN 1st/2 2nds to Sacramento for #6. We could possibly even give less if we take one of their bad contracts. If Cousins doesn't force his way out this summer, SAC has to put together a team that will really compete in the west. Turner gives them the extra ball handler they need and Karl can do wonders with a stretch 4 next to DMC.

BOS: James Young + #16, #33, 2016 BRK 1st, 2016 BOS 1st, 2016 MIN 1st, 2016 PHI 2nd and 2018 BOS 1st (Top 10 Protected) to Philidelphia for #3 and Nerlens Noel. Now, Hinkie loves himself some draft picks and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he punts out of the top 5, sells off Noel to the highest bidder or both, especially if he has confidence in the Embiid situation. Embiid makes Noel expendable, and by making a deal like this with us, he does that while also getting possibly 5 1st round picks back, his 2 high 2nds back and a 19 year old with big up-side.

Some people always make it seem like moving up in the draft is going to cost us a fortune and depending on how high up you wanna go, it may. But there's moves abound for Ainge to consider if the price is right. I trust him to only move up in the draft if the player your moving up to get is worth more than the cost your giving up. But this looks like a pretty deep draft and there seems to be a few teams to move up with above us. Gonna be a fun summer I think. Combining productive young guys with our picks is our best value play.

I personally like Winslow, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Oubre Jr., and Turner for us. Really hope we can get one of them.

TP to both. 

saltlover, I think you got the pricing exactly right.  It's not cheap to trade up and I think that we got lucky trading #16 and 2-seconds for #13, but Dallas didn't want either.  Good for both teams.  I would do just about any of the trades you mention, although a couple would hurt (which means that they are probably priced about right). 

BDC, Thanks for reminding me how much fun all the off-season trade speculation can be.  Would happily do either the Denver or Sac trade listed above.  That Philly trade, wow, don't know what to make of it.  I think it's pretty rich, but it makes us instantly competitive. 

Mike

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

4) James Young
5) The Minny 1st/2 2nds
7) Our more distant 1sts

good breakdown, TP.
Hadn't thought of a few of those scenarios, makes you realize how valuable those future picks are in particular. Those Brooklyn and Minny picks just have a fascinating unknown element about them.

Anyone think the Knicks would give up pick #3 or #4 For both our 2015 picks+all 3 Brooklyn picks?
What would it take?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 02:42:56 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

4) James Young
5) The Minny 1st/2 2nds
7) Our more distant 1sts

good breakdown, TP.
Hadn't thought of a few of those scenarios, makes you realize how valuable those future picks are in particular. Those Brooklyn and Minny picks just have a fascinating unknown element about them.

Anyone think the Knicks would give up pick #3 or #4 For both our 2015 picks+all 3 Brooklyn picks?
What would it take?

Absolutely, but that is a very expensive trade for #3 or #4. 

Mike

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

4) James Young
5) The Minny 1st/2 2nds
7) Our more distant 1sts

TP
Good read , I know it is their job but I wonder how many hours per day Danny Ainge and his staff go through all the different ways things can play out leading into the draft, 16-18 hours a day??Without him colouring his hair the last couple of years you can see that Gray coming through ha ha :) It would be fascinating to be in their war room and see the different strategies play out live.

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

4) James Young
5) The Minny 1st/2 2nds
7) Our more distant 1sts

good breakdown, TP.

What would it take?

If Knicks were at 3 or 4, they'd do that in a heartbeat.  This would allow them to send this year's picks to clear Calderon from next year's books, freeing up more cash for another free agent, while getting three consecutive unprotected firsts from a team that was inches from the lottery and trending downwards.

If Danny did that I'd murder him.  For #1 in the form of Towns, okay.  But 3 or 4?  He better not dare.