Author Topic: How can Danny Trade Up  (Read 5154 times)

How can Danny Trade Up
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Armed with the #16, #28, #33, and #45 picks the best move for him would be to trade up, because quite simply there is just no way to sign 4 rookies in one offseason, especially if you plan to have a successful one.

Danny is going to ask himself... hmmm, which team in the lottery does not need their pick?
Or hmm, which team in the lottery needs a player that I have?

Answer: OKC, I mean do they really need pick #14? And the Jazz with pick #12, have reported interest in our $32 million dollar defensive ace, Avery Bradley.

Both scenarios are very doable. OKC needs some assurance after Enes Kanter, a stretch big who is set to be a restricted free agent, while already getting paid 6 million in the 2014-2015 campaign, OKC may not want to overpay the guy, who will most likely be trying to cash out this summer. This is where Danny will strike with Olynyk, who is 7 foot tall and can shoot threes around the same % as Kanter, and the #28 and #45 picks. Here Danny could play around and maybe grab Jeremy Lamb who is not getting any playing time, yet is averaging 6.3 points in 13 minutes, and it gives us some size and 3 pt. shooting in our backcourt, where we need it the most.  Plus that sweet #14 pick!

The Jazz offer sheet will be a bit tricky as Avery Bradley alone won’t yield us anything… Rodney Hood or Hayward?… well, it depends on how strongly he feels about reuniting Brad Stevens with his former star player.  Why would the Jazz do it? Simple, Hayward is locked in for 15 million, so they will get some flexibility this summer, plus they will be getting great perimeter defense… I’d say throw in Turner, #16 pick and #33 pick and they should loosen up their grip on Hayward and that #12 pick.

Now with the #12 picks and #14 picks in hand, Danny can trade up even further or just nab the BPA at these spots in the draft. I’d say screw that, and couple both of these picks to Miami for their #10 pick and hope and pray that  one of the high projected picks fall to us. Hopefully, WCS, as I see the teams at #5-9 biting at the talent available at the 3 spot.

Re: How can Danny Trade Up
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
#16 , clips pick and ko,bradley or sully could likely get us into the top 10

If Stanley Johnson is there at # 8 or lower, that's who I would want .

I think the kid has a chance to be Khwai Leonard clone , but bigger and stronger .

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:58 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
#16 , clips pick and ko,bradley or sully could likely get us into the top 10

If Stanley Johnson is there at # 8 or lower, that's who I would want .

I think the kid has a chance to be Khwai Leonard clone , but bigger and stronger .

Sully actually stepped up to play at home, while Olynyk had some good showings he is most likely the most moveable out of the two.

I don't know if that scenario could yield Danny a top 10 pick, simply because history suggests the price for picks 4-9 are starter quality players.
I like Stanley, but with this trade-up idea i was looking to address the team's biggest needs which was a rim protector and a scoring 3, with Jae Crowder to compensate for Hayward defensively, even though he is solid still.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not minding us making a move for Hayward because he does something not a lot of guys can do on this team, he can create his own shot.   He has his faults though too and I think a lot of guys here would be against it.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Armed with the #16, #28, #33, and #45 picks the best move for him would be to trade up, because quite simply there is just no way to sign 4 rookies in one offseason, especially if you plan to have a successful one.

Danny is going to ask himself... hmmm, which team in the lottery does not need their pick?

Answer: OKC, I mean do they really need pick #14? And the Jazz with pick #12, have reported interest in our $32 million dollar defensive ace, Avery Bradley.

Both scenarios are very doable. OKC needs some assurance after Enes Kanter, a stretch big who is set to be a restricted free agent, while already getting paid 6 million in the 2014-2015 campaign, OKC may not want to overpay the guy, who will most likely be trying to cash out this summer. This is where Danny will strike with Olynyk, who is 7 foot tall and can shoot threes around the same % as Kanter, and the #28 and #45 picks. Here Danny could play around and maybe grab Jeremy Lamb who is not getting any playing time, yet is averaging 6.3 points in 13 minutes, and it gives us some size and 3 pt. shooting in our backcourt, where we need it the most.  Plus that sweet #14 pick!

The Jazz offer sheet will be a bit tricky as Avery Bradley alone won’t yield us anything… Rodney Hood or Hayward?… well, it depends on how strongly he feels about reuniting Brad Stevens with his former star player.  Why would the Jazz do it? Simple, Hayward is locked in for 15 million, so they will get some flexibility this summer, plus they will be getting great perimeter defense… I’d say throw in Turner, #16 pick and #33 pick and they should loosen up their grip on Hayward and that #12 pick.

Now with the #12 picks and #14 picks in hand, Danny can trade up even further or just nab the BPA at these spots in the draft. I’d say screw that, and couple both of these picks to Miami for their #10 pick and hope and pray that  one of the high projected picks fall to us. Hopefully, WCS, as I see the teams at #5-9 biting at the talent available at the 3 spot.

so, if I'm following correctly, your net result is this:
#10 (possibly WCS but probably gone by then--probable pick is a SF or PF prospect), Hayward & Jeremy Lamb
FOR
#16, #28, #33, #45 & AB, Turner, KO.

I'd say that's a gross overpayment for a decent SF, a SG that can't get time on an OKC squad that really needs a good SG and a prospect likely to be a SF (who'll be stuck behind Hayward) or a PF (who would be lucky to be as good as Sully).

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I would not minding us making a move for Hayward because he does something not a lot of guys can do on this team, he can create his own shot.   He has his faults though too and I think a lot of guys here would be against it.

I was very against getting Hayward this Summer, thought it would've been a huge mistake to go after him.

That said, the transformation he gave his body this Summer proved me wrong, now I want Hayward here.

I felt the same with Chandler Parsons, but on that regard, I remain of the same mind. Avoid.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

#10 (possibly WCS but probably gone by then--probable pick is a SF or PF prospect), Hayward & Jeremy Lamb
FOR

I'd say that's a gross overpayment for a decent SF, a SG that can't get time on an OKC squad that really needs a good SG and a prospect likely to be a SF (who'll be stuck behind Hayward) or a PF (who would be lucky to be as good as Sully).

Funny, I read it in the opposite direction: that's not enough for landing a top-ten pick plus Hayward, who'd be a great scoring and facilitating wing for the current roster.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

FOR

Well it will be a shooting guard that can shoot, a SF that can make his own shot and is familiar with Stevens(our only good take away this season), even if we just land Kristaps Porzingis, I think we should all agree that the Olynyk experiment has failed... is time to move on, as much as I love him for going all Ronda Rousey on Love.

Smart is essentially the same player Bradley is except he brings more tangibles.. I don't see us losing anything and gaining a lot. Unless you think our next star will be available at the 16th, 28th, 33rd, or 45th pick... they won't supply us with anything we need right now...

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd like to see a double-trade-up with 2 other teams, using a lot of assets to nab Winslow, Hezonja or WCS around #6.

For example, use Sully to trade up to #10 (heat) then use #10 in a package to trade up further

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I'd like to see a double-trade-up with 2 other teams, using a lot of assets to nab Winslow, Hezonja or WCS around #6.

For example, use Sully to trade up to #10 (heat) then use #10 in a package to trade up further

We might not want to risk giving away our best rebounder at the moment, though.

But say we do end up with the Heat's #10, a run at #6 is doable without giving away Sullinger... depends how bad you want one of those guys, we still have that Mavs and a slew of Nets picks.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
For the C's to trade up I think it would take a future first, since there isn't a whole ton of value in the 28th pick.

For the record I am 100% in favor of trading a Mavs or Brooklyn pick to get into the top 10 and grab WCS or Stanley Johnson.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

That's not how trades work.  If Boston has the assets to trade up for Miami's pick, the deal doesn't get done unless Miami doesn't like who is available at that spot and Boston does.  Both teams wait and see who goes in the first nine picks before pulling the trigger on any deal, so you would be hoping for a highly projected player falling to #10 and Miami not being interested in that player.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 12:46:36 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
For the C's to trade up I think it would take a future first, since there isn't a whole ton of value in the 28th pick.

For the record I am 100% in favor of trading a Mavs or Brooklyn pick to get into the top 10 and grab WCS or Stanley Johnson.

I see Winslow, Johnson, and even Hezonja getting picked over WCS... Kings already have Demarcus. The Pistons already have Drummond, might get Prozingis to stretch the floor.. the Hornets however, might nab him.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think the only reasonably realistic scenario mentioned would be OKC giving up their pick in some kind of trade down + player deal.

OKC sends: 14th pick
Boston sends:Dallas 2016 pick+Zeller or Turner

I can't see any scenario where Utah gives up Hayward for Bradley.
Would you swap Hayward for Bradley? Hell no!

Other options would be future picks to Miami + a young impact player for their 10th pick.
Miami sends: 2015 pick#10
Celtics send: 2015 pick#16+Clippers pick#28+Turner

Final options are likely to be something like our own 2015 #16 pick AND Bradley or Olynyk on the way out with a top 10 pick coming our way.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

That's not how trades work.  If Boston has the assets to trade up for Miami's pick, the deal doesn't get done unless Miami doesn't like who is available at that spot and Boston does.  Both teams wait and see who goes in the first nine picks before pulling the trigger on any deal, so you would be hoping for a highly projected player falling to #10 and Miami not being interested in that player.

I now how trades on draft day works, I'm just pointing out the assets we have in to make it all happen, of course Miami will have to be interested in the SF or PF that becomes available, in which case, I'm hoping is Cauley-Stein they already have Whiteside.