Author Topic: Kosta Koufos is my #1 (realistic) option come July  (Read 6829 times)

Kosta Koufos is my #1 (realistic) option come July
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I can't help but think Koufos would be a great fit on this team.

Legit center who is a plus defender and rebounder but also has some offensive ability that hasn't likely been tapped into yet. Fits the bill of the Brad Stevens "underutilized" players who can thrive in a bigger role. Also more likely to leave his current team than most FA's.

Give the Greek $8-10mill/year and let Stevens work with his magic on a guy who's still only 25.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Kosta Koufos is my #1 (realistic) option come July
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
if he reaches his full potential he would be on Asik's level. Why not just go for the proven player in Asik ?

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
if he reaches his full potential he would be on Asik's level. Why not just go for the proven player in Asik ?

Koufos is 3-4 years younger and already has more offensive ability IMO (not that that's saying much in terms of Asik).
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think he could a legitimate starting C in the NBA once he is no longer stuck behind Gasol and Randolph.  Not a star or near star, but an average starting C that provides rebounds and defense.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has some skills but he has some limitations as well.    That being said, I have never cared for his game.  He is slow and not an athlete.  I hope Ainge does something a little more fantastic than Koufos.  He is a poor shot blocker  and moves like his feet are in concrete.    We just got exposed by a bigger more athletic team.     This guy is not a huge upgrade on what we have in any way.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I think he could a legitimate starting C in the NBA once he is no longer stuck behind Gasol and Randolph.  Not a star or near star, but an average starting C that provides rebounds and defense.

I think he could have a Gortat-level impact once Marcin got out from behind Howard. Not the same skill-set, but similar overall impact.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Koufos is 3-4 years younger and already has more offensive ability IMO (not that that's saying much in terms of Asik).

Just to be clear, Asik is signficantly better at rebounding and defense than Koufos.  Koufos is a good rebounder, but Asik is an elite, top five rebounder.  Asik is also an elite defender stuck on a team with an idiot head coach.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Koufos would be a big upgrade for us and I think someone we could get at a discount then improve his value by giving him a starting role.

However, I expect us to aim higher then go to Koufos as a fallback plan rather than having him be one of our top targets.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:46:01 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Koufos could be a very good value play. He would be one of the better defensive centers in the East, although what we would gain on defense we probably lose on offense compared to Tyler Zeller.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:43 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Just to be clear, Asik is signficantly better at rebounding and defense than Koufos.  Koufos is a good rebounder, but Asik is an elite, top five rebounder.  Asik is also an elite defender stuck on a team with an idiot head coach.

Sure, at this point their respective careers but Koufos still has upside or polishing that can be done IMO and I dont cringe when I watch Koufos try and catch a basketball.

I don't think the gap in rebounding and defense is as significant as you make it out to be either. Koufos also isn't the liability Asik is at the end of games due to FT shooting.

I'd certainly be happy with Asik but I think for this team is prefer Koufos.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Asik has declined this year, massively from what I've seen. Not the same mobility, lift, and activity defensively.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Kosta Koufos would be a good player to add to the team, but not the high level target you hope for as a fan for a "splash".

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Koufos fine, but I don't see him as a difference maker, and I don't think he has much upside.  He can give you 10 pts and 8 or 9 rebounds if you play him starter minutes, and he can defend the center position OK.

So in my mind he's like Zeller.  Mediocre as a starting option, pretty good as a backup.  Perhaps less likely to get overwhelmed physically like Zeller just did against Mozgov, but Koufos isn't overwhelming by any means in terms of size or strength.

Wouldn't be a bad guy to add, but unless it's a follow-up to a move for a superior talent somewhere else, I'd rather the team go after a guy who maybe has some upside, even if it's a long shot e.g. Bismack Biyombo.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Sure, at this point their respective careers but Koufos still has upside or polishing that can be done IMO and I dont cringe when I watch Koufos try and catch a basketball.

I don't think the gap in rebounding and defense is as significant as you make it out to be either. Koufos also isn't the liability Asik is at the end of games due to FT shooting.

I'd certainly be happy with Asik but I think for this team is prefer Koufos.

This season, Asik had a total rebounding percentage of 21.4, a tick higher than his 21.0 career mark.  Koufos was at 18.1.  To give you an idea of how that translates, their per36 rebounds were 13.6 vs 11.4.

The difference in FT% this season was 58.3% vs 64.7%, so the gap might not be quite as huge as some people think it is.  Both are light years ahead of Deandre Jordan's 39.7%.  (I can't help but make a gratuitous slam on Jordan, who I do not want.)

Asik doesn't have good hands, but he is good at running the floor and getting out in transition and very good at outlet passes, so he fits well with a team that is looking to run.  I know that Koufos is considered to be decent at running the floor for a man his size, but I haven't seen anything about his passing ability.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd be excited if we land Koufos.

Faf is right about him not being a sexy name. But he has adequate offensive skills, legitimate size and a solid enough defense to be a competent starter. But what I'm really going to be excited about is how he will turn out to be. Tyler Zeller was about as close to being a nobody and he was able to turn it around within this system. Koufos could do the same (not that he's a nobody), and be a much more productive player.

I'm all for it. He could be a cheap pickup too.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace