Author Topic: Avery Bradley doesn't realize his potential  (Read 5908 times)

Re: Avery Bradley doesn't realize his potential
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I hope Isaiah, in the offseason, will teach AB and Smart better ball handling skills. I think Pressey learned something from Isaiah so it might be helpful to those two as well.
Isaiah is not that great of a ballhandler actually. Yes, he's deceptively quick and agile, but the dribble is often loose and at the level of his chin. I'm surprised he doesn't get called for palming violations.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
I am sorry but Bradley sucks, always has always will. Not sure what fans see in him other than he's a Celtic.  He wouldn't start on any other team in the NBA, he's overpaid, short, deer in headlights, inconsistent, can't dribble, shell of a defender so called shooting guard!

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don't think his problem is ball-handling really.  He doesn't have a great handle relative to other guards, but he's good enough to make straight two-bounce drives to the hoop

His problems IMO are that he isn't good in the paint when he does get there - he's a mediocre finisher and he doesn't have the mindset to draw fouls and get to the line.  I don't remember the last time I saw him go up and challenge somebody at the rim, but I know for a fact that he has the athleticism to do it. 

He uses his dribble to move laterally for an open midrange jumpshot, and he makes them at a good (though streaky) clip.  That's a double-edged sword - he's a good shooter in that range, but the midrange jumper is an inefficient shot by nature and it reinforces the notion that he doesn't have to attack. 

That's why he has lines like 19 points on 9-16 shooting - despite having a great game from the field, it's still not very efficient because he doesn't take a lot of threes and he rarely gets to the line.  So his next step has to be one of those two areas - either start attacking and drawing fouls, or improve that three point stroke and start launching from beyond the arc.
Obviously, you don't really understand basketball.  Gotta be much slicker with the ball.

Thanks for the assumption. 

And no, for the role Bradley would play it's not crucial.  He's not a top option - he isn't going to draw a team's best perimeter defender and have help waiting for him if he gets into the lane.  Guys like Irving and Harden need to deal with that stuff.  For Bradley?  I want him to attack closeouts, turn the corner on the pick often enough to keep a defense honest, and beat the occasional quickness mismatch.  He doesn't need Irving's handle to do those things, but if he could do them consistently then it would make him a significantly more efficient offensive player.  He's never going to be a #1.  I just want him to be a serviceable #3/#4. 

Frankly, I have more concerns about his passing than his handle in those situations.  Can he consistently make the kick to the corner or the drop-off to the big when he hits the second line of defense in the paint?  That's the skill that I'm not sure he has. 

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I agree his handle isn't the major problem, would it be better if he could handle like Irving - yes.  But thats a completely different player.  We can hope for that player, but we shouldn't hope avery turns into that player - because thats not him.

I wish he would be a little more aggressive heading to the goal when the step presents itself.  But I would really like to see him continue to work on his range. From the naked eye it looks like his range has improved - but I think he could stand to extend it another foot or so.  Allow him to come off picks just a bit deeper...

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I love AB, he's a good two way shooting guard. I liked the way he played D on Irving and I think he's the best on ball defender on quicker PGs with similar size. I also liked he developed a good mid range shot and his 3pt shot is decent. He's a good leader: he's quite but he lead by example. Did he ever get a tehnical foul in his career? He's very competitive.

Of course, he has his flaws (ball handling, passing) but he is improving slightly his handles and passing every year. I said that he doesn't realize his potential because he is very quick, athletic and explosive to blow by bigger shooting guards so I would expect him to do it more often and maybe he can get to the free throw line. I think he's faster than Rondo. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4691413/whos-faster-rondo-or-bradley
Yesterday, I saw glimpse of that slashing ability. This kid's got hops.

Look at 1:00 and 8:12 until 8:26 of the first video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vXmYlfkms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJVTePSMYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdPW7hFiucE

The end of the Cavs game I found myself really liking how AB and Smart where playing. Both seemed to be digressing to more attacking games and less focused on producing open jump shots. That not to say I want to see them stop playing team offense but it is nice every once in a while to just attack the rim.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 03:27:25 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Make play for him at the 3pt line and let him spend his energy on defense.
He has the potential of being a better Ray Allen (because of its defense) if he works on his 3s the way Ray did.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I would like AB to be able to finish a fast break.
Fixed that for you.  ;D

Bradley shot 61% at the rim for the year and 67% in the playoffs. That's pretty good. Where he struggles is outside the circle in the paint and just off the two blocks. He's also much more inconsistent than he is chided for being from the midrange. If you look at his bball-ref this is all easily accessible information.

Given your realist(/pessimist) nature, I would assume you think Bradley has topped out and I would agree with you on that. However Bradley is very strong at the rim and from 3. Those are the two most popular shots in today's game of basketball. Bradley is also strong defensively and can guard both backcourt positions. While he lacks the  3-position defensive versatility of a Draymond Green or a Trevor Ariza, Bradley has all the makings of an elite 3-and-D player at just 24. Every championship contender needs one of those guys, and some are even heralded members of such teams' starting lineups (Ariza, Danny Green, etc.).

edit: not trying to prop up a strawman argument in my second paragraph. Just infusing some positivity by pointing out that getting a Danny Green/Trevor Ariza in the second half of the draft is pretty good.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
He's being asked to do way too much offensively. With the right fit, I think he's a starting SG on a playoff team. I also think a lot of his shooting problems are STILL confidence issues. Hasn't hit his prime yet. I hope it lines up with the C's having a good roster.

The numbers don't show it clearly, due to his role changing, but it looks to me like his offense has steadily improved.

If he's traded to a team where he's the 4th option we'll all be like "Why wasn't he doing that for us?"

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I am sorry but Bradley sucks, always has always will. Not sure what fans see in him other than he's a Celtic.  He wouldn't start on any other team in the NBA, he's overpaid, short, deer in headlights, inconsistent, can't dribble, shell of a defender so called shooting guard!
You are wrong. I don't know where you played basketball at besides your backyard or who taught you how to scout. But he hit some big shots yesterday. If we had a rim protector he would lead his man right to him but we don't. He can run too. His ball handling has improved. When he is not on the floor we are minus 8 more points a game. He is a perfect 3rd guard. He is not a traditional shooting guard but he will play for many more years.

"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I miss that 2012 Celtics team.

I miss it too, that team made me choose to be a Celtics fan and I chose the right team. But, most importantly, I miss the "FLEXING" celebration!!!!!

Wow, remember back in the days when our bench was literally Mickael Pietrus, Ray Allen, Keyon Dooling, Marquis Daniels, and Greg Stiemsma and made it to the East Finals and in Game 7...wow! That run was something...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 05:50:08 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
after reading a lot of posts in this thread I kind of feel like I was the only one watching this guy play the past 2 seasons.

so instead of quoting multiple posters i'm just going to say this about AB. if this post season proved anything it's that AB as a major contributor offensively and defensively is not something you can count on.

his "improved jump shot" is a farce. he takes pull up jumpers that are usually contested. these are bad shots and bad shots catch up to you eventually. that's what happened against Cleveland.

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He's being asked to do way too much offensively. With the right fit, I think he's a starting SG on a playoff team. I also think a lot of his shooting problems are STILL confidence issues. Hasn't hit his prime yet. I hope it lines up with the C's having a good roster.

The numbers don't show it clearly, due to his role changing, but it looks to me like his offense has steadily improved.

If he's traded to a team where he's the 4th option we'll all be like "Why wasn't he doing that for us?"

This. The dude is a great 3&D rollplayer, but he's been thrust into a bigger role the last couple years. He's actually been solid nonetheless, shooting 1.6/4.6 (35%) from 3 this year and 4/8.6 (47%) from 2. Not world-beating numbers, but pretty good for a guy whose value is mostly on the defensive end. I think there's a reason DA passed up offers of a 1st round pick for him at the trade deadline.

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 06:14:04 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
bradley at best is a 3 and D hustle defender
previously he has shown he cannot be a PG as he has difficulty running an offense

and he has a clear height disadvantage at the 2 spot affecting his offense and defense potential at that position

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I would like AB to be able to finish a fast break.
Fixed that for you.  ;D

Bradley shot 61% at the rim for the year and 67% in the playoffs. That's pretty good. Where he struggles is outside the circle in the paint and just off the two blocks. He's also much more inconsistent than he is chided for being from the midrange. If you look at his bball-ref this is all easily accessible information.

Given your realist(/pessimist) nature, I would assume you think Bradley has topped out and I would agree with you on that. However Bradley is very strong at the rim and from 3. Those are the two most popular shots in today's game of basketball. Bradley is also strong defensively and can guard both backcourt positions. While he lacks the  3-position defensive versatility of a Draymond Green or a Trevor Ariza, Bradley has all the makings of an elite 3-and-D player at just 24. Every championship contender needs one of those guys, and some are even heralded members of such teams' starting lineups (Ariza, Danny Green, etc.).

edit: not trying to prop up a strawman argument in my second paragraph. Just infusing some positivity by pointing out that getting a Danny Green/Trevor Ariza in the second half of the draft is pretty good.
Well, the 67% in the playoffs is really 6 out of 9 shots, so let's not pretend it means anything. And it would help if we actually  thought for a second about the shot mix Bradley is getting at the rim. If we do, here's what comes out...

Bradley is NOT a strong finisher off of dribble-drives. He shot 110 of 179 total at the rim, and 68% of his field goals were assisted (that's 74 shots). Taking these out, he's a putrid 34% (36 of 106).

For comparison, Isaiah Thomas shot 58% at the rim (126 of 216), and 23.8% of these were assisted (30 makes). Taking these out -- 51.6% on unassisted shots (96 of 186).

See where I'm heading with that? Sure, if you're happy that Bradley can make a wide open layup, then he's perhaps "strong at the rim". But it's just not working for him when he's trying to make it happen by himself, and anyone who's watched a Celtics game over the past couple of seasons probably knows that already.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't think his problem is ball-handling really.  He doesn't have a great handle relative to other guards, but he's good enough to make straight two-bounce drives to the hoop

His problems IMO are that he isn't good in the paint when he does get there - he's a mediocre finisher and he doesn't have the mindset to draw fouls and get to the line.  I don't remember the last time I saw him go up and challenge somebody at the rim, but I know for a fact that he has the athleticism to do it. 

He uses his dribble to move laterally for an open midrange jumpshot, and he makes them at a good (though streaky) clip.  That's a double-edged sword - he's a good shooter in that range, but the midrange jumper is an inefficient shot by nature and it reinforces the notion that he doesn't have to attack. 

That's why he has lines like 19 points on 9-16 shooting - despite having a great game from the field, it's still not very efficient because he doesn't take a lot of threes and he rarely gets to the line.  So his next step has to be one of those two areas - either start attacking and drawing fouls, or improve that three point stroke and start launching from beyond the arc.
Obviously, you don't really understand basketball.  Gotta be much slicker with the ball.

Thanks for the assumption. 

And no, for the role Bradley would play it's not crucial.  He's not a top option - he isn't going to draw a team's best perimeter defender and have help waiting for him if he gets into the lane.  Guys like Irving and Harden need to deal with that stuff.  For Bradley?  I want him to attack closeouts, turn the corner on the pick often enough to keep a defense honest, and beat the occasional quickness mismatch.  He doesn't need Irving's handle to do those things, but if he could do them consistently then it would make him a significantly more efficient offensive player.  He's never going to be a #1.  I just want him to be a serviceable #3/#4. 

Frankly, I have more concerns about his passing than his handle in those situations.  Can he consistently make the kick to the corner or the drop-off to the big when he hits the second line of defense in the paint?  That's the skill that I'm not sure he has.
I didn't make an assumption.  I responded directly to your comment about just needing two dribbles.  It is much more complex than that.  My point is that unless he improves his ball handling (which he pretty much can't anymore btw), then he ain't attacking the rim because he isn't going to get by his man consistently.