Author Topic: Avery Bradley doesn't realize his potential  (Read 5918 times)

Avery Bradley doesn't realize his potential
« on: April 27, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
I love AB, he's a good two way shooting guard. I liked the way he played D on Irving and I think he's the best on ball defender on quicker PGs with similar size. I also liked he developed a good mid range shot and his 3pt shot is decent. He's a good leader: he's quite but he lead by example. Did he ever get a tehnical foul in his career? He's very competitive.

Of course, he has his flaws (ball handling, passing) but he is improving slightly his handles and passing every year. I said that he doesn't realize his potential because he is very quick, athletic and explosive to blow by bigger shooting guards so I would expect him to do it more often and maybe he can get to the free throw line. I think he's faster than Rondo. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4691413/whos-faster-rondo-or-bradley
Yesterday, I saw glimpse of that slashing ability. This kid's got hops.

Look at 1:00 and 8:12 until 8:26 of the first video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vXmYlfkms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJVTePSMYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdPW7hFiucE

Re: Avery Bradley doesn't realize his potential
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Bradley isn't very good. He is too small and can't handle the ball that well.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:51:20 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
In terms of being able to drive by a defender, handles are more important than quickness.  Hence, the problem for Avery.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The window on his potential is closing fast, we know what we have in him.   He is a tweener, and can be a great defender, who doesn't seem to be able to tie playing offense and great defense together in the same game.

If the playoffs showed me anything it is that small ball is for the regular season.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think Avery Bradley can be really good if he was in the right situation. Right now, he just has too much offensive responsibility for his skillset. If he can learn how to move without the ball ala Rip Hamilton, we'd be talking.

- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I would like AB to be able to finish a fast break.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I don't think his problem is ball-handling really.  He doesn't have a great handle relative to other guards, but he's good enough to make straight two-bounce drives to the hoop. 

His problems IMO are that he isn't good in the paint when he does get there - he's a mediocre finisher and he doesn't have the mindset to draw fouls and get to the line.  I don't remember the last time I saw him go up and challenge somebody at the rim, but I know for a fact that he has the athleticism to do it. 

He uses his dribble to move laterally for an open midrange jumpshot, and he makes them at a good (though streaky) clip.  That's a double-edged sword - he's a good shooter in that range, but the midrange jumper is an inefficient shot by nature and it reinforces the notion that he doesn't have to attack. 

That's why he has lines like 19 points on 9-16 shooting - despite having a great game from the field, it's still not very efficient because he doesn't take a lot of threes and he rarely gets to the line.  So his next step has to be one of those two areas - either start attacking and drawing fouls, or improve that three point stroke and start launching from beyond the arc. 

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I miss that 2012 Celtics team.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I don't think his problem is ball-handling really.  He doesn't have a great handle relative to other guards, but he's good enough to make straight two-bounce drives to the hoop. 

His problems IMO are that he isn't good in the paint when he does get there - he's a mediocre finisher and he doesn't have the mindset to draw fouls and get to the line.  I don't remember the last time I saw him go up and challenge somebody at the rim, but I know for a fact that he has the athleticism to do it. 

He uses his dribble to move laterally for an open midrange jumpshot, and he makes them at a good (though streaky) clip.  That's a double-edged sword - he's a good shooter in that range, but the midrange jumper is an inefficient shot by nature and it reinforces the notion that he doesn't have to attack. 

That's why he has lines like 19 points on 9-16 shooting - despite having a great game from the field, it's still not very efficient because he doesn't take a lot of threes and he rarely gets to the line.  So his next step has to be one of those two areas - either start attacking and drawing fouls, or improve that three point stroke and start launching from beyond the arc.

I completely agree with you Atzar. I hope he start attacking and drawing fouls more. I remember DA saying in the game where he was commentating that the next step to become a better rounder player would be by attacking the rim more.

Watch from 1:54, DA agrees with me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JAEU971lP0

P.S. Shutout to CELTICS LOWDOWN

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:17:42 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser

I miss it too, that team made me choose to be a Celtics fan and I chose the right team. But, most importantly, I miss the "FLEXING" celebration!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think Bradley would be better off taking dagger threes in transition.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:59:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't think his problem is ball-handling really.  He doesn't have a great handle relative to other guards, but he's good enough to make straight two-bounce drives to the hoop

Obviously, you don't really understand basketball.  Gotta be much slicker with the ball.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

I miss it too, that team made me choose to be a Celtics fan and I chose the right team. But, most importantly, I miss the "FLEXING" celebration!!!!!

The Flex!

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I hope Isaiah, in the offseason, will teach AB and Smart better ball handling skills. I think Pressey learned something from Isaiah so it might be helpful to those two as well.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Fixed that for you.  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."