Author Topic: 50 Wins Next Season? Paint Me A Picture.  (Read 14115 times)

Re: 50 Wins Next Season? Paint Me A Picture.
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Raptors look to retool and agree to trade Derozan
  This is what I hope happens, he would be some more offense and can create his own shot, something we really need.

What's the fascination with a shooting guard who is 27% career on threes and who dribbles too much while being bad at dribbling?  If he creates his own shot, it's because he is a chucker who creates a lot of contested shots.  He'd be a bad fit for an offense based on ball movement and would be a downgrade on defense.
The fascination is with a guy who gets to the line 7-8 times a game. That is a useful offensive skill.

But he's bad enough at everything else that he is a net negative player.  You're looking at a player who resembles Kobe Bryant.  Unfortunately, he resembles old Kobe, not prime, championship-winning Kobe.
I'm not really a fan of his game, but i think the C's need to upgrade anyway they can and he certainly would be an upgrade.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
  This is what I hope happens, he would be some more offense and can create his own shot, something we really need.

What's the fascination with a shooting guard who is 27% career on threes and who dribbles too much while being bad at dribbling?  If he creates his own shot, it's because he is a chucker who creates a lot of contested shots.  He'd be a bad fit for an offense based on ball movement and would be a downgrade on defense.
The fascination is with a guy who gets to the line 7-8 times a game. That is a useful offensive skill.

But he's bad enough at everything else that he is a net negative player.  You're looking at a player who resembles Kobe Bryant.  Unfortunately, he resembles old Kobe, not prime, championship-winning Kobe.
I'm not really a fan of his game, but i think the C's need to upgrade anyway they can and he certainly would be an upgrade.

An upgrade on Bradley's backup?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 11:19:14 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

An upgrade on Bradley's backup?
I think he would be a better starting 2 than Bradley.

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 11:20:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Derozan has always played well against us.   There are times where he cleaned PP 's clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9infe9KWfQI

He would be a big upgrade over Crowder or Turner.  It would be nice to have a guy who can score 17  and be able to take him man one on one.  We lost the CAVs series because we could not score reliably in the clutch.

I don't see them giving up on him either as he is a keeper.

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2015, 11:22:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Step one, Ainge makes an amazing trade to bring a star to Boston.

Step two, remaining young players/drafted players take huge step forward.

Step three, Stevens have them play as hard as they did down the stretch this season the whole season.

I just don't think all of that will happen.

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 11:30:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I don't see them giving up on him either as he is a keeper.

If they're not willing to give up on Derozan and instead see him as a core piece, they are a team that is happy to plateau at being a second-round exit.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Step one, Ainge makes an amazing trade to bring a star to Boston.

Step two, remaining young players/drafted players take huge step forward.

Step three, Stevens have them play as hard as they did down the stretch this season the whole season.

I just don't think all of that will happen.
I think if they do trade for a star there is an increased possibility of bringing in an impact free agent. Adding that step to your 3 steps would pretty much cover all the ways this team could get better.

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 11:55:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Derozan isn't a great player but he's better than anybody on our team, and he's certainly better than Bradley. 

That said, he's a flawed player and if he's a core piece he should be a secondary scoring option and he should be surrounded by shooters because he's similar to Evan Turner as an outside shooter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Derozan isn't a great player but he's better than anybody on our team, and he's certainly better than Bradley. 

That said, he's a flawed player and if he's a core piece he should be a secondary scoring option and he should be surrounded by shooters because he's similar to Evan Turner as an outside shooter.

Derozan or Bradley, the Celtics still need to add better pieces to be a contender.  Neither is a core star.  Bradley would be a much better fit around those other pieces than Derozan.  I'd take Derozan if my goal were to be a consistent non-contending playoff team.  I'd take Bradley if my goal was to be better than that.

I could accept Derozan in a sixth man role as a scorer off the bench, but Thomas is better than Derozan.

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I'm not sure this is the best long-view-short-view balance but assuming Kawhi, Gasol, Butler, etc all turn down our max offer, here is how I would work to improve the squad-

fa targets- Chandler, Matthews, Lin
trade target- Gallinari
outgoing trade assets- Bradley, Wallace expiring, picks
ignore-  monroe, lopez, dragic, jordan
draft target- Harrell

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he is more consistent than ET, PhoSita, but that is an apt comparison in some other regards.

Bradley would be a much better fit around those other pieces than Derozan.
  You have a lot of guts to say this after his playoff series.  Unfortunately, we have something called stats that can diffuse this argument.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3978/seasontype/3/demar-derozan

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4240/seasontype/3/avery-bradley

Bradley average 12 PPG in these playoffs, he played some great D though.  But shot .38%.  He did hold Irving to 23 PPG and .44% shooting.  In retrospect, one has to question how good that D was at times.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4240/avery-bradley

Derozan averaged 20 PPG and shot .40%

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3978/demar-derozan

Neither is that great but I would take Derozan over him.  Since he has a career playoff average of 22 PPG to AB's 8.

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
50 wins isn't as far away as is being said here. With no changes we could get 50 and would at least be close. If we can just replace Datome with someone as goof or better than IT, then I think we have 50 wins. There have been a lot of names talked about. Just get 1 and we are probably about 50 wins.

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
50 wins?  Ainge would have to pull out a miracle.  I seriously see the C's sliding back out of the playoffs next year as several of the Eastern teams that missed the playoffs or just got in get injured players back and/or add good young talent via the draft to strengthen their teams.

Indy, Charlotte, Miami and Milwaukee all fit that situation.  Sure, Brooklyn figures to get worse (thankfully we have that unprotected pick) but that's about it. 

Boston will still have a team of role players unless Danny pulls off a heist in a trade.  The concern I'd have with trading for a top player is just much of the asset stockpile would be gone after that deal.  Would we have anything left to add to whoever we brought in?

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2015, 12:45:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Derozan or Bradley, the Celtics still need to add better pieces to be a contender.  Neither is a core star.  Bradley would be a much better fit around those other pieces than Derozan.  I'd take Derozan if my goal were to be a consistent non-contending playoff team.  I'd take Bradley if my goal was to be better than that.

I could accept Derozan in a sixth man role as a scorer off the bench, but Thomas is better than Derozan.

I would only go after Derozan if I already had another superior player in place and I needed a wing with size who could get to the rim and draw fouls.

Bradley is an OK player, but if your goal is to create a contender you need to do it with superior players and Derozan is one, just not a top tier player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
50 wins?  Ainge would have to pull out a miracle.  I seriously see the C's sliding back out of the playoffs next year as several of the Eastern teams that missed the playoffs or just got in get injured players back and/or add good young talent via the draft to strengthen their teams.

Indy, Charlotte, Miami and Milwaukee all fit that situation.  Sure, Brooklyn figures to get worse (thankfully we have that unprotected pick) but that's about it. 

Boston will still have a team of role players unless Danny pulls off a heist in a trade.  The concern I'd have with trading for a top player is just much of the asset stockpile would be gone after that deal.  Would we have anything left to add to whoever we brought in?
This isn't painting a picture so much as throwing cold water at the canvas.

We aren't debating whether it will happen here, but suggesting ways it could happen.

On the bright side, none of the teams you listed as getting better are in our division. If Toronto takes a step back in trades and New York isn't able to add a viable 3-10 to their roster I think winning the division isn't out of the question even if the teams you listed improve.