Author Topic: 50 Wins Next Season? Paint Me A Picture.  (Read 14131 times)

Re: 50 Wins Next Season? Paint Me A Picture.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:09 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Danny goes bargain basement shopping for a plethora of olayers, hoping to strike gold with guys that blossom under Brad on the cheap.

Thabeet or Sanders or Tyson Chandler or some combo at C.

Gerald Green, Crowder, Jerebko  and more cheap wings with length and 3 pt range.

Danny Green, Josh Smith, Enes Kanter... try nabbing guys who are more under the radar and let the system put the rest together. Certainly,  many ways to go in FA, with trades and the draft.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 11:21:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Despite the late season surge, I don't see this as a 40 win team right now.  We snuck up on some teams who weren't familiar with our role players.  I think lotto is more likely than 50 wins.  Ainge might pull something off though.

This thread too? C'mon man, the point of this thread is clearly defined: how can the Celtics become a 50 win team. Not what are we now and what catastrophe of a season could happen. This thread is about positivity, trying to figure out where we can go from here. Try thinking about the positives of the team, just on this thread at least.
you realize of course, that you may be forcing larbrd's head to explode.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 11:22:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Gerald Green, Crowder, Jerebko  and more cheap wings with length and 3 pt range.
I think Gerald Green would be a good target.

It'd be nice to have a SF who can make outside shots.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it will be even harder next year.    Our guys may improve we may get some pieces but so will other teams and they will have proven stars back.   I think it will be harder to make the playoffs next year than it was this year.   Of course, we exceeded my expectations this year by five wins on the high end of my prediction.    But I think NYC, INDY will be better next year with Melo and George back.   There are going to be some other teams too, that improve.

This team played their guts out.   But a lot of teams were tanking hard this year.   They make or may not be next year but if your playing a blatantly tanking team it is different than one who is trying.   Look at our late season wins against the Cavs they did not help us much or were good indicators in the playoffs of success, were they?

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 11:27:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think it could be accomplished if Smart and Young take enormous leaps in their respective developments. Smart would then serve as a legitimate PG with Young being the potent scorer we desperately need. The next big thing would be the acquisition of a Center who can play at a high level immediately, so most likely not WCS or Nerlens Noel (although I personally love Nerlens and a trade for him would be my choice for our future). I'll use DeAndre Jordan just for arguments sake. I also don't think ET is the long-term answer at 3, so let's say we overpay and get Middleton or pull off a miracle and move up to 5 or 6 to get Justice Winslow, leaving our starting 5 as:

Smart
Young
Middleton or Winslow
Crowder (resigned)
Jordan

I think this is easily a 50+ win team in the East and a potential contender. Of course, every part of this scenario is unlikely, but I see this as a possible route to banner #18.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 11:55:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
20-9 down the stretch this year.  Very simple picture:

(20/29) * 82 = 56.55.

;)

One thing I'm willing to say definitively is that the Celts aren't going to maintain that pace into next year if no significant changes occur.

But I highly doubt Ainge is just going to stand pat.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 12:03:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I agree that heading in this vein is one of the most likely ways to approach 50 wins -- upgrade the three point shooting on this team in a really serious way.  Increase the team's three point percentage from 32.7 to 36 (would put them in the top 10 this year) and you'd increase the team's scoring by almost a point per game, which is actually pretty significant.  Could increase it even more by taking more three pointers per game (27 per game would be good for top 5).

On top of that, increase the free throw attempts per game by 3 or 4, and you're talking about a 2 or 3 point increase.

Finally, make an upgrade in the frontcourt that will improve the rebounding -- the Celtics had a -.9 rebound differential this season -- and that could make the necessary difference.

What moves could Ainge make to accomplish these goals, though?  I'll post some ideas soon.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 12:04:55 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

why can't we ever get players like gerald green!? :D
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
#1 - Trade Bradley + Olynyk + #16 to CHA for #9 (Stanley Johnson) & Marvin Williams; draft Upshaw w/ Clips pick
#2 - Sign Greg Monroe (upgrades rebounding, free throws)
#3 - Trade for Kevin Martin and Chase Budinger using Wallace + Turner + Pick (upgrades outside shooting, free throws)
#4 - Sign Wilson Chandler (assuming Denver declines team option; adds outside shooting)
#5 - Re-sign Crowder & Jerebko

Smart / Thomas / Pressey
Martin / Crowder / Young
Chandler /Johnson / Budinger
Sullinger / Jerebko / Williams
Monroe / Zeller / Upshaw
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:36:33 AM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 01:16:49 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Posted elsewhere:

Rondo TPE and picks for Ty Lawson (Nuggets rebuild)
Use Prince TPE to acquire Omer Asik in sign and trade
Gerald Wallace for David Lee (salary dump to retain D. Green)
retain Crowder

Lawson / IT
Smart / Bradley
Crowder / Turner
Lee / Sullinger
Asik / Zeller / KO

Still have MLE to acquire another vet player to round out rotation.

I love this, but I would make one little twitch.

I'd go for CJ McCollum instead of Ty Lawson. Has size, can play either Guard spots, younger and is showing that he can score.

Lillard is not going anywhere, and with the speculation that Aldridge may leave, the chances of Portland taking a pick/s would be good, to somehow "soften the blow".

While Lawson is going to be an upgrade, I'd prefer a younger, still growing (game wise) McCollum.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 01:20:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Draft picks won't help the immediate winning efforts so I'd go all in on Cousins and Gay for Young, AB 16, KO, Wallace, 28, 33, 45, Brooklyn 2016, Brooklyn 2018, Dallas 1st, Wolves picks, they also end up with a tpe by trading more salary which C's can fit without losing RR-TPE.
Use RR-TPE and 2nd for AI as Warriors have to shred salary to sign Green.
Resign Crowder.
Resign Jerekbo or Bass

Smart/IT
Turner/AI
Gay/Crowder
Sully/Jerekbo
Cousins/ Zeller
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:40:52 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 01:30:01 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
How many games did we win in 2007?  How many did Cleveland win last year?

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 01:36:20 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I think we'll probably end up signing one defensive center of some sort. There are just too many on the FA market for us to not get somebody (Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Roy Hibbert,  Robin Lopez, Omer Asik, Kosta Koufos, or umm.. Maybe even Javale Mcgee)

It's not likely that we'll make a "fireworks" type signing beyond that, but even just a competent defensive rotation center probably has us comfortably playing .500 basketball. 50 wins is a bit of a stretch but I think we'll be close.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 02:02:16 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Isn't it obvious?  Get Dwight Powell back ;) (sarcasm), ahaha. ;D Btw, can we use time travel in this scenario, because I'm kind of partial to that (sarcasm), lol ;D.

Anyway, to get to 50 wins we must have Hassan Whiteside (sarcasm)! ;) ;D Since he's currently under contract, step one in my brilliant beyond brilliant plan (sarcasm), muahaha ;D is to kidnap Pat Riley and extort the Heat for Whiteside. ;) ;D  In the unlikely event that this attempt fails ;) ;D, create incriminating photos of Riley at various Miami gay bars/clubs and use them as blackmail to obtain Whiteside, and if that doesn't work, 'inform' ;) ;D the Heat of a hypothetical scenario in which we hire a couple of hit-men, I mean, independent contractors ;) ;D, to show up at Dwyane Wade's house and go all Tonya Harding on his knees, as demonstrated in this incredible song by Weird Al, ahaha. ;D We must have Whiteside (sarcasm)! ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU95v23MQ4c

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:20:00 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 02:35:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Despite the late season surge, I don't see this as a 40 win team right now.  We snuck up on some teams who weren't familiar with our role players.  I think lotto is more likely than 50 wins.  Ainge might pull something off though.

This thread too? C'mon man, the point of this thread is clearly defined: how can the Celtics become a 50 win team. Not what are we now and what catastrophe of a season could happen. This thread is about positivity, trying to figure out where we can go from here. Try thinking about the positives of the team, just on this thread at least.
you realize of course, that you may be forcing larbrd's head to explode.  ;D
There's infinite paths Boston can take to get to 50 wins next season.  Most of them are unlikely.  Right now this is a 32-45 win team as-is (if we resigned Crowder and Bass).

A lot of the paths have been roughly laid out already.   I doubt Ainge has any idea what he'll do, but he'll jump at an opportunity.   I could think of endless hypotheticals.  I'll come up with a crazy one on the fly.

In this scenario, the Knicks land the #1 pick, draft Townes and decide it's best to build around the young phenom.  They put Melo on the market.   Boston goes all-in and offers Marcus Smart, Wallace's expiring, Thomas, Sully, Oly, Zeller, Young, #16, #28, Brooklyn's 2016 1st, Dallas 2016 1st, Brooklyn 2018 1st...  Knicks reluctantly take the offer, because the Lakers shockingly refuse to give up Julius Randle or their top 4 pick in a trade offer.  Irate celticbloggers have a panic attack. 

We let Bass, Crowder and Jerebko walk. 

We trade Bradley for a future pick and trade exception.  We renounce all trade exceptions.

Boston now has the following on the books:

Melo - 22 mil
Turner - 3.4 mil

That leaves 41 mil in cap space and Melo/Stevens as a draw.

Offer Rondo 10 mil
Offer Monroe 14 mil
Offer Asik 9 mil
Offer Afflalo 8 mil

Ride or die with PG - Rondo, SG - Afflalo, SF - Melo, PF - Monroe, C - Asik.  Turner as the 6th man...  Fill out the roster with whatever.  It aint pretty, but it gets you your 50 wins.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:46:11 AM by LarBrd33 »