Author Topic: Who are tankers mad at exactly?  (Read 6711 times)

Re: Who are tankers mad at exactly?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 10:53:23 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
2) You can be a player good enough to prevent tanking, but not good enough to create a championship caliber team. Horford. Noah. Lowry. No man's land. Raptors are in no-man's land, except their roster has a lot more trade assets.

And if the Hawks or Bulls win the title this year? "They won't, though." But that's what people could've said about the Pistons in 2004, the Mavs in 2011, the Spurs last year. Surprises happen. Neither of those teams are favorites this year, no doubt. But they do have a legitimate shot. And if one does happen to win it all, then what? Then you'll revise your examples, substitute different good players who've never won? And proceed to include either Horford or Noah as one of the league's standard-setters for what kind of player it takes to win a championship?

3) If Dallas is lottery it's a "barely-miss-the-playoffs" pick in the 13-15 range. And again, those picks from other teams is completely independent of the Celtics' own record. Sure, maybe there's a 15% chance Brooklyn completely flames out and creates a top 5 lottery pick (even though they will fight like hell to avoid that because there's 0 incentive for that) but that's just wishful homerism. That's like Lakers fans this year hoping Houston would crash and burn without Dwight, but the Houston pick still ended up as a crappy first. That's what the Dallas pick is, a crappy first. Better than Rondo walking, but not good enough to hang the "future" on.

This is exactly the kind of reasoning that bad GM's use. Exactly the reason why protections exist, because stupid execs kept thinking this way. "Our pick will be pretty good, look at our roster now, we'll never be that bad." A single season-ending (or career-ending, at their age) injury to, say, Dirk or Deron and -- WHOOSH -- the pick is gold.

Why do you think Dallas asked for Top 7 protection, if it's such a sure thing that the pick would be late lottery at worst? Because **** sometimes happens, especially to teams long in the tooth, short on depth, light on assets, and stuck in the brutal Western conference. Even if the chances of it being a 8-10 pick are relatively low, they do exist. 10%, 15%, 20%...those are the odds that GM's are stuck looking for these days in any pick, because the league has gotten tightfisted with future picks, so that's all there is.

As for Brooklyn fighting like hell to make the playoffs because they don't own their pick...by that logic, no team's future pick would ever be worth much, because every team that didn't own their pick would fight like hell. Obviously, some teams just blow, anyway, and that's how other teams get top 5-10 picks that aren't their own. Injuries, old age, surprise departures, locker room turmoil, roster inflexibility, just plain old suckitude. All there, looming over Brooklyn as possibilities. Their ceiling is a low playoff seed. A bad break here and there and all three of those picks could be top 5. What other team's picks in the entire league that a front office wouldn't either withhold from discussions or protect up the wazoo would you rather have? They're among the most valuable other-team-owned picks in the league. Absolutely not overrated.

The Celtics need a top 8 pick. Enough of the James Youngs, the KO, the Sullingers, the pure mediocrity that breeds more mediocrity. Again, this is a COMPLETELY independent probabilistic event than the Nets/Dallas pick, because banking on those picks to get the franchise player is like saying you only need 1 stroke to get the ball in the hole. Yes, you can get the hole-in-one, but I like the odds a lot more if you had multiple strokes. That's the entire crux of the tanker argument, increasing probability.

Given the number of potentially-good future firsts the Celtics have, that's exactly what the Celtics can provide either another team in a trade, or themselves if they keep the picks: Increased probability. You're offered one future 1st with a 25% chance of turning into gold, or two with a 15% chance each -- what's a better offer?

Tanking this year to get into the top 5 was essentially impossible because too many teams with worse rosters and coaches were trying the same thing. So you're talking about the difference in probability between, say, 8th and 16th, for one pick, in one year. That is minuscule in the big picture. The average GM would be, like, what, 20% more likely to pick a franchise player at 8 versus 16? And that's 20% on top of what is already only, like, a 1-in-4 or 1-in-6 chance at best for mid-late lottery picks? You're worried about losing out on that one-off meager advantage, and dismissive of the upsides present in the Brooklyn and Dallas picks? Come on, dude.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yes no strategy is 100% but the only thing that I know for 100% certainty is that making the playoffs every year as a 7 seed and not trading for/signing elite players will get us nowhere.

I'm fairly new here, but I'm pretty sure that no one at all is proposing that as a strategy. Everyone here thinks we need to acquire at least one elite player, right? There is literally no one here who thinks this current roster doesn't need at least one elite upgrade, right? Right. The fans you're thinking of only exist in your imagination.

Well played. 
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:47 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
The franchise benefits from the national publicity for Stevens and our hard-working little crew of over-achievers FAR more than tanking in the hopes of a high lottery pick - remember last year?

We landed the sixth pick, rather than a top pick, and we got a decent player, but no one who really changed the direction of this rebuild - until Ainge made the move for IT.

Time to move on. The floor for this franchise has been established. Time for Ainge to bring in players to elevate this team from 40 to 50 wins in the regular season. The tanking days are gone.

Again ... would love to hear how this is going to be accomplished in one summer.

We went from a 25-win-pace team to a 40-win team (on pace for even more) in a span of, like, one month, in the middle of the season. It's not that difficult to imagine going from 40 to 50 in the space of an entire offseason. The really hard part would be shifting from 50 to Championship.

Picking a single scenario is a fool's errand, though. No telling now which players will be available for what in potential trades. But there'll definitely be a handful of established All-Stars available, plus a handful of up-and-coming potential All-Stars, a whole bunch of sleepers. There is every year. We'll be able to upgrade any position, not boxed in to any particular setup, so we could get in on literally any trade possibility. Plenty of cap space for contract dumps. (I won't even entertain the idea of free agents, getting a good one would be gravy.) Options are nearly limitless. Why are you so pessimistic?

I'm not saying it's impossible.  I think it's easy to say it without offering one of the allegedly many ways it could plausibly happen, in your view.  If you did, we could discuss whether or not it's actually plausible.

Well, you tell me which players you'd define as game-changers who'd be theoretically available first, and then I'll play the trade machine game. The thing is, we don't really know yet, and we probably won't, at least not until the playoffs are over and the draft is near, when the basketball hot stove (or is it a cool fridge given the seasons?) revs up and trade rumors fly, and even then we'll be depending on media reports most of which are bogus...because neither you nor I are NBA execs with an inside look at the league.

But in the abstract, if [2nd tier star] on [floundering team] is available, let alone [1st tier star who secretly wants a change of scenery], the Celtics will be among the top teams in the hunt, because they have so, so many picks. Not to mention a roster full of decent contracts for decent young players including a couple with fairly high upside. Plus some filler, like the exceptions and Wallace. And cap space. That's only if one player like [whoever] is available. If there are 3-4 of them available, then the Celts almost by default will wind up with one, as one of the few franchises capable enough, flexible enough, ready enough to make such a trade. Cheer up. The summer should be fun.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 11:22:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No sense crying about it now, what is done is done, do you want to sound like Kevin Love?

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
the Mavs in 2011, the Spurs last year

The Mavs were very good in 2011. They weren't some hapless underdog. And give me a break on the Spurs. They were one Ray Allen miracle away from winning in 2013 and after they go back in win it the next year you compare them to the Raptors?  You can't win in the NBA without star players. There is no parity. Every year it is the same top 4 or 5 teams with very little change. The only time there is change? When the Lebron James of the world decide to play for a different team.

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
the Mavs in 2011, the Spurs last year

The Mavs were very good in 2011. They weren't some hapless underdog. And give me a break on the Spurs. They were one Ray Allen miracle away from winning in 2013 and after they go back in win it the next year you compare them to the Raptors?  You can't win in the NBA without star players. There is no parity. Every year it is the same top 4 or 5 teams with very little change. The only time there is change? When the Lebron James of the world decide to play for a different team.

Man, I'm not saying they were bad or even "underdogs", because all three of those teams definitely had legitimate shots.  (Few expected the aging Spurs to return to the Finals the next year, nevermind win.) I'm saying they were surprises, i.e., the basketball world expected a few other teams to come away with the title. And I didn't compare them to the Raptors, I compared them to the Hawks and Bulls, teams that also have legitimate shots despite everyone's attention being on the Warriors, Cavs, et. al.

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 11:40:29 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
sort-of-tanker here, and I'm not mad. I would've preferred we missed the playoffs, but it isn't worth being mad about-- we aren't likely to miss out on the next Kawhi Leonard by picking #16 instead of #12. We also didn't do much good for the franchise by being swept by LeBron, but at least there were some good games and I enjoyed watching them.

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I think the answer is obvious

They are mad at themselves

Or their fathers

Don't worry, life's good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFS3BW0yOsw
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 11:52:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
They are like spoiled kids ....seeing the newest and greatest toy s in the store and having a tantrum cause they can't have all the best young players .

I'm proud the Celtics don't believe in rebuilding by putting a sorry product on the floor just to get a Lottery hope ...that may be hurt or bust......then back to squared one.

You play your best.....let the chips fall where they may .

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 01:55:12 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
everyone.  not sure where or why losing on purpose makes sense, when the idea is two teams play a game against one another and try to win, is the whole point of the sport, or any sport for that matter.

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 03:03:07 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I'm not saying it's impossible.  I think it's easy to say it without offering one of the allegedly many ways it could plausibly happen, in your view.  If you did, we could discuss whether or not it's actually plausible.

Nobody can tell you who exactly will be the next Celtics superstar to lead us to #18. Whoever claims that is lying.

What I can tell you with certainty is that the opportunity to get one will come, it always does. All we can do is put ourselves in the position to be able to strike when the opportunity arises, which is exactly what we're trying to do.

So called "tankers" are mad at contentious, divisive "anti-tankers" who insist on turning everything into a discussion about who is on which side.

It's tiresome.

Pff, that's nothing compared to the great "KG/Pierce for picks" war of 2011. Now THAT was intense and tiresome.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 03:05:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'm sure that opportunity will come, eventually.  Very well may not come this summer though, which could mean another year in the 30 to 40 range.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 03:10:35 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
I'm sure that opportunity will come, eventually.  Very well may not come this summer though, which could mean another year in the 30 to 40 range.

Yep. It's hard to be an NBA fan.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 03:17:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It's actually way too easy, given how much of my time gets spent on it.  Heh.

I'm excited to see where this is all headed.  Even another development year could be really interesting if Ainge makes a move to acquire another prospect with some real upside.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 03:22:53 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

It's actually way too easy, given how much of my time gets spent on it.  Heh.

I'm excited to see where this is all headed.  Even another development year could be really interesting if Ainge makes a move to acquire another prospect with some real upside.

That's the spirit, man  ;)

3 down, 7 to go.