Author Topic: Love says KO play was "bush-league" and "on purpose"  (Read 35720 times)

Re: Love says KO play was "bush-league" and "on purpose"
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I don't blame Love for running off the court after his shoulder was pulled out of socket.  That is just the smart thing to do.  It has nothing to do with toughness.  I don't get the criticism of this.

I also sympathize with Love in that he was emotional after the game and blurted out some statements he probably shouldn't have (his coach did this too).  I don't 100% agree with what he was saying but I certainly understand that he was pizzed.

In terms of the actual altercation, the pictures that have been posted here show all the NBA should need to judge on this.  Love held Olynyk's arm first.  This could have been the end of it but the ball happened to go right over their head forcing them both to turn around and chase it (if the ball had gone to the other side of the court, that would have been the end of it).

Olynyk did grab on to his arm more than he needed to partly out of frustration that he had been held just a second earlier.  It seems to me that he pulled on his arm on purpose but his intent was to keep Love from getting the ball.

No one likes to play against someone like Olynyk who plays a kind of "goony" game.  He is not a "goon" per se but because of lack of talent, his game is goony sometimes.  Grabbing, clutching, reaching, pushing, whatever, all to make up for lack of talent.

This was not a totally clean play but I also would not call it dirty.  I don't think there is enough to base a suspension on.  Olynyk was trying to be "scrappy" but ended up being "goony".  You shouldn't be suspended for being goony by accident.

« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Kevin Love is a funny guy, especially considering that he was grabbing and clutching Olynyk's arm in a similar way about 2 seconds before getting his shoulder dislocated (0:39 below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ31539Cg04
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
KO grabbed him so he wouldn't get the rebound, as another celtic was about to track the ball down. it was a foul. happens a million times a game. love would know, as he's the one doing the grabbing most of the time.

love is a clown, winners don't whine the way he did there. back in the 80's or 90's nobody would have blinked an eye at that play. it's a good thing for the cavs he's only their third-best player.

« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Love fouled KO twice on that play before he got his arm pulled.  Once under the basket pinning KO's arm, and then holding him off with his own arm, which KO then gave a tug too.

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Kelly answered a question regarding the foul;
Have you realized how much backlash there’s been over the play? Kelly Olynyk: I’d probably get killed if I went to Cleveland right now. I don’t think if someone gave me their arm and I was running forward like that and locked up, I don’t think I could dislocate someone’s arm if I tried. I think it’s a real tough thing to do. Like I said before, it’s kind of ridiculous to say you intentionally meant to. I’d never intentionally hurt someone, him or anybody else for that matter. I don’t think anybody goes out trying to hurt anyone. I think it’s just real unfortunate. If you get tangled up and he doesn’t dislocate his shoulder, there’s’ noting dirty ever said or anything. It’s just a foul. So I just really hope he can get back as soon as possible and help that team keep making a push. - Boston Globe

Hope Cleveland gets knocked out since I've lost all my respect for that team (not that I had any before game 4 anyway.. ::) )
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Since we are talking "bush-league"; This is what Shaq, Barkley and Kenny Smith had to say about the actions of Perkins and J.R.
The crew from Inside the NBA -- Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O'Neal -- didn't hold back with their thoughts. Barkley said during the postgame show a minimum of five games would be warranted, but believes the league should consider 10. O'Neal and Smith both said five was the proper number. "What Kendrick Perkins and J.R. Smith did was bush league," Barkley said. "You can't just go around hitting people in the face. It was like watching a boxing match. Your knee doesn't collapse like that."

At least I hope that JR gets 10 games. He's a big knuckle head, and always has been.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:07:19 PM by TA9 »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2015, 04:11:13 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Since we are talking "bush-league"; This is what Shaq, Barkley and Kenny Smith had to say about the actions of Perkins and J.R.
The crew from Inside the NBA -- Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O'Neal -- didn't hold back with their thoughts. Barkley said during the postgame show a minimum of five games would be warranted, but believes the league should consider 10. O'Neal and Smith both said five was the proper number. "What Kendrick Perkins and J.R. Smith did was bush league," Barkley said. "You can't just go around hitting people in the face. It was like watching a boxing match. Your knee doesn't collapse like that."

At least I hope that JR gets 10 games. He's a big knuckle head, and always has been.

Sadly he's probably getting 0. Or 2 at the minimum. Reason: LeBrons.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2015, 04:57:40 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
To sum it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LAs7X5ybE

hopefully the injury doesn't cause long term problems to KLove, but I'd hate to have him in Celtic Green. The guy smells like Laker.

« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
IF KO's play was bush league, what were Smith and Perk's plays?

« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Love's straight-down runaway to the locker-room and his whining post-game are simply new arguments proving he is not the answer for Boston moving forward, especially as a free-agent landing max money.

Pretty sure his presence of mind was to get to trainer or Dr. asap -so there would be less damage to ligaments or muscle hence missing the least amount of time due to the injury. Not sure how you can fault him for that

Seconds before the "incident" :

Who instigated it then?
Ppl get tangled up all the times going for rebound. However this is what KO did

Clearly KO has a hold of his wrist, yanking it, and pushing down at the shoulder with full force using both his arms. That def is not a bball play in anyway shape or form or else ppl would be dislocating their arms while battling for rebounds all the time

Don't you know, Love should've continued to play with a dislocated shoulder.

« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I am frankly embarrassed for Kevin Love.  He will never live this down; it is emblematic of how he has carried himself, on and off court, for his entire pro career.  Right now, he is the laughing stock of the NBA world.  If you don't believe that, just check out the reaction from around the league.  Maybe KL believes that Olynyk is some kind of brutal enforcer, the Mike Ehmentraut of the NBA (and Brad Stevens as Gus Fring!). 

"Hoisted by his own petard."  Rather ironic and amusing that the King of the Armlock wound up being injured precisely because someone used his own maneuver against him in reply.
Like all the things Pierce did? 

The head bandage playoff game?

The playoff game he was carried off the court only to return?

Those were things fans of other teams used to believe that Pierce was soft. 

Did those moments define Pierce's career?

Love got hurt.  He is out at least two weeks.  He is emotional about being removed from his first crack at the playoffs. 

Still want him on the Celtics next year.  He becomes their best low post offensive player and their best outside threat.

When Love gets stabbed multiple times and still plays a full season as a starter, or when he gets his teeth knocked out and still comes back and finishes the game, let me know.

Because someone is not considered tough in the NBA until he has been stabbed? 

And once again, I am not calling Pierce soft, just pointing out examples where others found a moment in the playoffs to call him that.

I didn't say you need to be stabbed to be considered tough but to say "Like all the things Pierce did" and insinuate equating Love (whose body of work thus far points to a whiny and "soft" player) to someone like Pierce is ridiculous.

Showing where a player that has been labeled similar in the past because of single playoff moments is not ridiculous.

Labeling Love because of one playoff incident where he was actually injured is ridiculous.

I said Love's body of work thus far points to him being whiny and soft. This is just the latest and it coincides with his rep. Comparing him to Pierce's body of work is as ridiculous as saying KO is pretty much like Bill Laimbeer.

So, Love is whiny and soft because he got his shoulder dislocated?

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
To sum it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LAs7X5ybE

hopefully the injury doesn't cause long term problems to KLove, but I'd hate to have him in Celtic Green. The guy smells like Laker.

Disagree. I really hope he's a Celtic next season.

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I dont like Love much in the way I dont like Melo, or Lebron for that matter. I hate the way they go about themselves etc but they are such basketball talents that if they considered coming to boston Id find a way to love them real fast

« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2015, 12:40:16 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
This is exactly why I have no interest in getting a guy like Love here, no matter how good a player he might be.  Sorry to say, but I'd rather root for a good group guy who work their buts off and play with a modest 'team first' attitude but get knocked out in the first or second round, rather than root for a group of guys who are good enough to contend but act like entitled whiny brats the entire way.   

I don't care how many championships a group of guy might win, I can't respect players like this.

Kevin Love should retire and take up a career in Golf, or perhaps Lawn Bowls.  He's been a whiny little brat pretty much his entire career and just doesn't seem to have the toughness to make it in a contact sport. 

IT's response: "We can say the same thing.  We're all men here.  We don't need to cry...It is what it is.  It's playoff basketball."

Haha love that quote!! Can't give IT a Tommy Point, so you get one for the quote!  ;D

Yeah, Love is clearly in the wrong to point out a dirty play that could, theoretically, cost him, and his team, the NBA title.  Nobody else in the world would be doing that.

Well, except for pretty much every other human being on the planet.

It's one thing to say that a dirty play is dirty.  To say that it was a foul, and that KO was being unnecessarily physical. 

It's another thing entirely to claim that a player went out there and intentionally pulled your arm out of it's socket because he WANTED to injure you.

That's a disgraceful thing to say, and is exactly the type of comment I expect from a guy like Love, who has been an absolute whinger his entire career.

When Wade dislocated Rondo's arm, do I believe that he did that on purpose?  Absolutely not.  I believe that he pulled Rondo down on purpose (he was falling and clearly grabbed Rondo to try to stop his own fall), but do I believe that he was standing there thinking "This guy is frustrating me, I'm going to try and rip his arm out of it's socket"?  Of course not.  Was it a dirty play?  Absolutely.  He pulled Rondo down partially to stop his own fall, and probably partially to take one Celtic out of the play to give Miami the advantage - but I don't for a second believe he intended to hurt him. 

In fact I think Rondo basically said the same thing.  I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of "it was a dirty play, but I don't think he intended to hurt me" or something.

Guys get hurt in the NBA, it happens...especially in the playoffs.  I can't think of the last time I heard a guy say "I think he intended to injure me".  That's just a horrible thing for a professional athlete to say about another.

Video of the play supports Love's claim.  You can say that it supports a deliberate action that was not intended to injure, if you wish, but there's no question that KO did what he did on purpose, and that he was clearly doing so in a way that could easily result in injury.  He didn't just lock down on the arm, after all.  He clearly pulled on it, as well.  KO's only defense is to claim he was stumbling.

Love and Olynyk were hooked up.

There was a loose ball situation, and the ball went past them.

Love and Olynyk both started to move in an attempt to get to the ball.  Obviously this is the playoffs, and Olynyk wanted to stop Love from getting the ball, so he wanted to pull him away from the ball. 

Since the only part of Love Olynyk could maintain a grip on was his arm, Olynyk tried to pull/hold him (by the arm) away from where the ball was going.  In the process, Love continued to try to pull the opposite direction, towards the ball. 

The combination of a 230lb Olynyk pulling one way and a 250 lb Love pulling the other essentially meant there was double the force acting on his arm, hence the dislocation.

I can almost guarantee you that Kelly Olynyk is sitting down right now, running through the situation over and over in his head, wishing that he had approached the play in a different way.  I would imagine he is probably feeling absolutely horrible knowing that his actions caused this injury to another player.

Was Olynyk's play wreckless?  Yes, it was.  Was it dangerous?  Yes, it was.  Did he purposely grab Loves arm and try to pull/twist it with an intent to hurt him?  No, I can assure you he didn't. 

No, you can't.  As you said, what K.O. did was reckless and dangerous.  It's potentially knocked a player out of an entire series, and the NBA has suspended him for his action.  He's lucky he only got the one game.

We can be fans of a team without being shills for it.  We should be fans of the team without being shills for it.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2015, 12:45:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Man if you think its a measure of fandom to be against "reckless" grabbing and holding you must have hated KG/Perkins/Pierce/Posey/Sheed/etc.