Author Topic: Love says KO play was "bush-league" and "on purpose"  (Read 35721 times)

Re: Love says KO play was "bush-league" and "on purpose"
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am frankly embarrassed for Kevin Love.  He will never live this down; it is emblematic of how he has carried himself, on and off court, for his entire pro career.  Right now, he is the laughing stock of the NBA world.  If you don't believe that, just check out the reaction from around the league.  Maybe KL believes that Olynyk is some kind of brutal enforcer, the Mike Ehmentraut of the NBA (and Brad Stevens as Gus Fring!). 

"Hoisted by his own petard."  Rather ironic and amusing that the King of the Armlock wound up being injured precisely because someone used his own maneuver against him in reply.

Like all the things Pierce did? 

The head bandage playoff game?

The playoff game he was carried off the court only to return?

Those were things fans of other teams used to believe that Pierce was soft. 

Did those moments define Pierce's career?

Love got hurt.  He is out at least two weeks.  He is emotional about being removed from his first crack at the playoffs. 

Still want him on the Celtics next year.  He becomes their best low post offensive player and their best outside threat.

When Love gets stabbed multiple times and still plays a full season as a starter, or when he gets his teeth knocked out and still comes back and finishes the game, let me know.

Because someone is not considered tough in the NBA until he has been stabbed? 

And once again, I am not calling Pierce soft, just pointing out examples where others found a moment in the playoffs to call him that.

« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:43 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I am frankly embarrassed for Kevin Love.  He will never live this down; it is emblematic of how he has carried himself, on and off court, for his entire pro career.  Right now, he is the laughing stock of the NBA world.  If you don't believe that, just check out the reaction from around the league.  Maybe KL believes that Olynyk is some kind of brutal enforcer, the Mike Ehmentraut of the NBA (and Brad Stevens as Gus Fring!). 

"Hoisted by his own petard."  Rather ironic and amusing that the King of the Armlock wound up being injured precisely because someone used his own maneuver against him in reply.

Love got hurt.  He is out at least two weeks.  He is emotional about being removed from his first crack at the playoffs. 

Still want him on the Celtics next year.  He becomes their best low post offensive player and their best outside threat.

When Love gets stabbed multiple times and still plays a full season as a starter, or when he gets his teeth knocked out and still comes back and finishes the game, let me know.
(drops mic and walks away)

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
So whats a 'Bush-League' anyway?

Adj. 1) Below good standards, not good or incorrect. Pitiful, poor, terrible, awful, bad. 2) Behavior that doesn't belong in the major leagues.

On a lighter note, maybe KO is going to get some glasses and join the Hanson Brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkHm2WtSsk

A lot of these NBA guys are not tough but my standards are different having been a soldier.   They posture but watching them throw a punch that is all arm or punches from the forearm down ought to show anyone that they are basketball players not warriors.  They posture and wait to be rescued and pulled apart or quickly walk away.   It costs them money to fight, but a lot of them lack true fighting skills.   When someone demonstrates it and there are a few tough guys, it is shocking to people.   That being said, a lot of these guys are strong as heck and could still hurt a guy.   But if they faced a determined and skilled attacker, I would not bet on them. 

KG was a prime example of this type of behavior.   I loved him as a C, but he was a poser.

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

And once again, I am not calling Pierce soft, just pointing out examples where others found a moment in the playoffs to call him that.

I didn't say you need to be stabbed to be considered tough but to say "Like all the things Pierce did" and insinuate equating Love (whose body of work thus far points to a whiny and "soft" player) to someone like Pierce is ridiculous.

- LilRip

« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2015, 10:59:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
LeBron changing tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKtlBaAMGLw

RETARDED!

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I didn't say you need to be stabbed to be considered tough but to say "Like all the things Pierce did" and insinuate equating Love (whose body of work thus far points to a whiny and "soft" player) to someone like Pierce is ridiculous.

Showing where a player that has been labeled similar in the past because of single playoff moments is not ridiculous.

Labeling Love because of one playoff incident where he was actually injured is ridiculous. 

« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2015, 11:12:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The play did look if not dirty, just bad... I do wonder though if Olynyk wasn't also stumbling a bit and grabbed on to Love's arm to steady himself. He moves awkwardly and is quite clumsy, looking at his feet seems like it could be a possibility.

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Showing where a player that has been labeled similar in the past because of single playoff moments is not ridiculous.

Labeling Love because of one playoff incident where he was actually injured is ridiculous.

I said Love's body of work thus far points to him being whiny and soft. This is just the latest and it coincides with his rep. Comparing him to Pierce's body of work is as ridiculous as saying KO is pretty much like Bill Laimbeer.

- LilRip

« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2015, 11:23:44 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I said Love's body of work thus far points to him being whiny and soft. This is just the latest and it coincides with his rep. Comparing him to Pierce's body of work is as ridiculous as saying KO is pretty much like Bill Laimbeer.

What was Pierce rep before KG and Ray joined the team?  What was his playoff rep?  What was his leadership rep? 

It certainly wasn't what is is now. 

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
hide yo kids, hide yo wife, hide yo shoulders.

KO's commin!

A million TP's if I could.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I wish Kelly would come out and say "Dude if I was going to hurt someone on purpose it would have been LeBron, not some random spot up shooter".

Wow...just...wow.  TP

« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

What was Pierce rep before KG and Ray joined the team?  What was his playoff rep?  What was his leadership rep? 

It certainly wasn't what is is now.
Pierce's rep was that he was tough as nails. That he was clutch. That he could score in many ways and at any time. That he was an emotional player and that sometimes his emotions and lack of maturity could get the best of him.

His rep wasn't that he was soft which Love's rep is.

Love also seems to be at this point a bit immature and let's his emotions get the best of him.

But Pierce was a team guy who loved his team mates. Love, that is still up for debate.

« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I love what the Inside the NBA guys are saying about this situation. They're basically saying he'll regret saying that, because two of his teammates did worse stuff.  Also, they said its just playoff basketball, and they pointed out that Love was doing the exact same thing lol

Total non-issue. Ridiculous that this has been blown up like this. Every basketball analyst covering this issue has said the same thing, too.
I don't blame Love for saying/thinking that, just being emotional after a pretty serious injury. It happens.

Plenty of other arm bars, throw downs, and pushs in the back that happened that series. Love just got hurt on that one, bad luck for him.

Exactly. This kind of stuff just happens in contact sports. Love's claim would be much more appealing if he wasn't a serial offender of this exact same move.

« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
So whats a 'Bush-League' anyway?

Adj. 1) Below good standards, not good or incorrect. Pitiful, poor, terrible, awful, bad. 2) Behavior that doesn't belong in the major leagues.

On a lighter note, maybe KO is going to get some glasses and join the Hanson Brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkHm2WtSsk

A lot of these NBA guys are not tough but my standards are different having been a soldier.   They posture but watching them throw a punch that is all arm or punches from the forearm down ought to show anyone that they are basketball players not warriors.  They posture and wait to be rescued and pulled apart or quickly walk away.   It costs them money to fight, but a lot of them lack true fighting skills.   When someone demonstrates it and there are a few tough guys, it is shocking to people.   That being said, a lot of these guys are strong as heck and could still hurt a guy.   But if they faced a determined and skilled attacker, I would not bet on them. 

KG was a prime example of this type of behavior.   I loved him as a C, but he was a poser.

Thank you for your service! TP!

And I feel like I'm in the same boat. Growing up, in addition to playing basketball I was a wrestler and mixed martial arts fighter. Unless you've experienced that kind of stuff yourself, it's easy to not realize how soft this game really is today, and a lot of the "rough" stuff and "fights" that go on are nothing more than posturing and posing.

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Olynyk's intent on the play is clearly just to keep Love tangled up so he can't run to grab the ball. A Celtic is closing in on the loose ball and Love is trying to make a break for it.  Love initiated the grabbing.  He is constantly using this tactic so forgive me if I don't feel so bad if it doesn't go his way.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford