Author Topic: Love says KO play was "bush-league" and "on purpose"  (Read 35754 times)

Re: Love says KO play was "bush-league" and "on purpose"
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2015, 12:39:18 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I love what the Inside the NBA guys are saying about this situation. They're basically saying he'll regret saying that, because two of his teammates did worse stuff.  Also, they said its just playoff basketball, and they pointed out that Love was doing the exact same thing lol

Total non-issue. Ridiculous that this has been blown up like this. Every basketball analyst covering this issue has said the same thing, too.

« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2015, 12:42:25 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
On Inside the NBA, All 3 said Perk and Smith were intentional (obviously) and worse than KO's foul which they saw as just an accident. Charles says JR Smith should get 5 games.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:27:49 AM by colincb »

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2015, 12:55:50 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/does--bush-league--play-complicate-love--celtics--mutual-free-agent-intrigue--023954774.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

If it would make Kevin Love more likely to sign here I think the C's would trade KO immediately.

Is this had any effect on his free agency then he wasn't coming here to anyway. It's been back to Cleveland or the Lakers in my eyes from the start.

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2015, 12:58:20 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2015, 01:10:42 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Well, it all says a lot about the Character of a LJ team.  That's about it.  They can punch you in the face, and expect you to be suspended for it.  Sweet, like the attitude of wife beaters who tell there wife it is her fault.  Way to be role models for the kids guys.  Way to go!  Didn't this happen on the way to a 4 game sweep for Cleveland?  You'd think the way the behaved they were the ones getting swept.  Like bizarro world, but what else can you expect from a LJ team.

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2015, 01:35:33 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Give it a few days before judging Love too harshly. The guy was just starting to play well, in his first postseason, and is prob now out for a few weeks, which might mean he's done for the year, depending on how the Bulls play. Kelly definitely didn't make a basketball play, but was he trying to hurt Love? Almost impossible to tell, but it is true KO doesn't have a reputation for doing this kind of stuff. Also, Love might cool off when he sees that he did pretty much the exact same thing to KO a few seconds earlier as the ball came off the rim. The injury is very unfortunate, no matter what, but its the kind of play that happens all the time. Its just that the result this time was pretty bad. But, yeah, give Love a few days. I bet he'll cool off.

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2015, 01:48:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
- LilRip

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This is exactly why I have no interest in getting a guy like Love here, no matter how good a player he might be.  Sorry to say, but I'd rather root for a good group guy who work their buts off and play with a modest 'team first' attitude but get knocked out in the first or second round, rather than root for a group of guys who are good enough to contend but act like entitled whiny brats the entire way.   

I don't care how many championships a group of guy might win, I can't respect players like this.

Kevin Love should retire and take up a career in Golf, or perhaps Lawn Bowls.  He's been a whiny little brat pretty much his entire career and just doesn't seem to have the toughness to make it in a contact sport. 

IT's response: "We can say the same thing.  We're all men here.  We don't need to cry...It is what it is.  It's playoff basketball."

Haha love that quote!! Can't give IT a Tommy Point, so you get one for the quote!  ;D

Yeah, Love is clearly in the wrong to point out a dirty play that could, theoretically, cost him, and his team, the NBA title.  Nobody else in the world would be doing that.

Well, except for pretty much every other human being on the planet.

It's one thing to say that a dirty play is dirty.  To say that it was a foul, and that KO was being unnecessarily physical. 

It's another thing entirely to claim that a player went out there and intentionally pulled your arm out of it's socket because he WANTED to injure you.

That's a disgraceful thing to say, and is exactly the type of comment I expect from a guy like Love, who has been an absolute whinger his entire career.

When Wade dislocated Rondo's arm, do I believe that he did that on purpose?  Absolutely not.  I believe that he pulled Rondo down on purpose (he was falling and clearly grabbed Rondo to try to stop his own fall), but do I believe that he was standing there thinking "This guy is frustrating me, I'm going to try and rip his arm out of it's socket"?  Of course not.  Was it a dirty play?  Absolutely.  He pulled Rondo down partially to stop his own fall, and probably partially to take one Celtic out of the play to give Miami the advantage - but I don't for a second believe he intended to hurt him. 

In fact I think Rondo basically said the same thing.  I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of "it was a dirty play, but I don't think he intended to hurt me" or something.

Guys get hurt in the NBA, it happens...especially in the playoffs.  I can't think of the last time I heard a guy say "I think he intended to injure me".  That's just a horrible thing for a professional athlete to say about another.

Video of the play supports Love's claim.  You can say that it supports a deliberate action that was not intended to injure, if you wish, but there's no question that KO did what he did on purpose, and that he was clearly doing so in a way that could easily result in injury.  He didn't just lock down on the arm, after all.  He clearly pulled on it, as well.  KO's only defense is to claim he was stumbling.

Love and Olynyk were hooked up.

There was a loose ball situation, and the ball went past them.

Love and Olynyk both started to move in an attempt to get to the ball.  Obviously this is the playoffs, and Olynyk wanted to stop Love from getting the ball, so he wanted to pull him away from the ball. 

Since the only part of Love Olynyk could maintain a grip on was his arm, Olynyk tried to pull/hold him (by the arm) away from where the ball was going.  In the process, Love continued to try to pull the opposite direction, towards the ball. 

The combination of a 230lb Olynyk pulling one way and a 250 lb Love pulling the other essentially meant there was double the force acting on his arm, hence the dislocation.

I can almost guarantee you that Kelly Olynyk is sitting down right now, running through the situation over and over in his head, wishing that he had approached the play in a different way.  I would imagine he is probably feeling absolutely horrible knowing that his actions caused this injury to another player.

Was Olynyk's play wreckless?  Yes, it was.  Was it dangerous?  Yes, it was.  Did he purposely grab Loves arm and try to pull/twist it with an intent to hurt him?  No, I can assure you he didn't. 

Alas that's what Love is insinuating.

Simple fact of the matter is this.  If that whole scenario played out the same way, and Love managed to break free of Olynyk's grip and made a run for the ball, an no injury every happened...then nobody would be talking about it.  The officials would have called a foul, everything would have been rosy.  Why?  Because it was a basketball play.  It was one player trying to hold off another player from getting to the ball.  There was no malicious intent, there was no violent tug.  If Olynyk pulled him so hard that Love went flying and fell to the floor, then I'd be calling a flagrant and saying it was with intent.  But it wasn't like that at all.

The only reason anybody is talking about this is because a guy got injured as a result of the play, and that (at the end of the day) is the reality of it. 

Same with the Perkins play.  He set a hard on Crowder, and I bet Crowder felt that hit...but there was no intent to injure him.  He just wanted to make him hit the floor and give him a bruise or two - a reminder that if you play physical, we'll play physical back.  Many people seem to think that should have been a flagrant, I don't think so.  The only way Perkins screwed up is when he Crowder down threateningly and then started coming at him - in this NBA that's pretty much a guaranteed technical foul.

The JR Smith play was an entirely different situation.  Smith made a voilent, head high swing at Crowder.  Full force.  Regardless of whether Crowder got hurt on that play or not, that's an immediate flagrant.   

If Love said that the foul was reckless and unnecessary then I'm fine with that. That's not what he said though.  He insinuated that Olynyk made the play intentionally to hurt him, and that (IMO) is an unsportsmanlike reaction to the play. 

Yeah i get he's frustrated, but it's still not right.

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2015, 02:27:20 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Give it a few days before judging Love too harshly. The guy was just starting to play well, in his first postseason, and is prob now out for a few weeks, which might mean he's done for the year, depending on how the Bulls play. Kelly definitely didn't make a basketball play, but was he trying to hurt Love? Almost impossible to tell, but it is true KO doesn't have a reputation for doing this kind of stuff. Also, Love might cool off when he sees that he did pretty much the exact same thing to KO a few seconds earlier as the ball came off the rim. The injury is very unfortunate, no matter what, but its the kind of play that happens all the time. Its just that the result this time was pretty bad. But, yeah, give Love a few days. I bet he'll cool off.
I don't have any sympathy since Love's teammates repeated beat one of our players in the head and did cause him injury on purpose on there way to a 4 game sweep.  I get Love being upset about getting hurt, but when your team's character appears to be #$%#, well - he's part of that team, so that is how much respect he deserves.

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:14 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Agreed.

I know there's not much love for Love on these boards but he would immediately become the best player on this current roster. I'm having a hard time fitting another 2015 FA on this team that would make sense as it's currently constructed. Of course, I got attached to our guys and don't wanna lose any of them.

This is true but lets be honest - how many of the high profile free agents WOULDN'T immediately become out best player?  If we got Deandre Jordan, he'd immediately become out best player - and he's not even an all-star lol

I'm honestly just not that convinced that Love fits the team.  I get that he's an excellent scorer, and he'd be a small upgrade on the boards, but in every other regard he hurts the team more than he helps it.  His defense is a definite step back compared to Sully and probably even Olynyk, and his attitude and lack of leadership ability are significant concerns to me if you're paying a guy upwards of $20 Million. 

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2015, 02:48:37 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I am frankly embarrassed for Kevin Love.  He will never live this down; it is emblematic of how he has carried himself, on and off court, for his entire pro career.  Right now, he is the laughing stock of the NBA world.  If you don't believe that, just check out the reaction from around the league.  Maybe KL believes that Olynyk is some kind of brutal enforcer, the Mike Ehmentraut of the NBA (and Brad Stevens as Gus Fring!). 

"Hoisted by his own petard."  Rather ironic and amusing that the King of the Armlock wound up being injured precisely because someone used his own maneuver against him in reply.

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2015, 03:08:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've watched the replay many times and I don't know what the hell Olynyk was doing.  Why did he wrap his arm around Love's and yank his arm?  It sure did look intentional.  I don't blame Love for thinking it was intentional.   If roles were reversed (Love a Celtic and Olynyk and Cav), ya'll would be calling for Olynyk's head. 

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2015, 03:38:39 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Watch in slo-mo and you could see Olynyk yank downward on Love's arm when it was in a pretty precarious position. anyone else and I would say it was on purpose but I just don't think Mr. hairdo has the balls to do it!!!
Next year I want to see this kid do some strength and conditioning and lose that freakin' hair. he's paying for it with the officials and the guy spends practically every minute on the court tucking that hair and getting it out of his eyes!!!   

« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2015, 05:33:27 AM »

Offline Mlewis1392

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think this whole thing is blow out of the water. You see Avery coming across Kevin and Kelly going for the loose ball. All that happened was Kelly saw Avery coming from the corner of his eye and he wanted to hold Kevin so Avery can get the loose ball. Unfortunately his hold was much worse than he intended I don't believe Kelly is that type of guy to take you out like that. Guy tried helping his team win a loose ball

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2015, 07:02:08 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
it may not have been a basketball play, but I doubt Kelly "freakin" Olynyk the enforcer ::) meant to injure love. what are the odds you can even dislocate someones shoulder by tugging on someones arm?

what Perkins and JR Smith did were much worse...because they intentionally were trying to injure crowder.