Author Topic: Enjoying yourselves Anti-Tankers?  (Read 12793 times)

Re: Enjoying yourselves Anti-Tankers?
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2015, 07:11:26 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
we'll be in NBA purgatory for the next few years with a middling team that gets swept every year in the 1st round.
Has a team ever been in NBA purgatory with about $26million below the cap and two first rounders a year for the next 3 out 4 years as well as multiple 2nd rounders and trade exceptions? Has that ever happened?

Nope. TP.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
More than happy with this season.  But then again, I'm a fan a of actual basketball and not just the GM mode on NBA2K15.

Mike

A fan of being antagonistic with fellow Celtics fans, too.

Some of these people may be Celtics fans, but they're not fans of the sport, competition, struggle or sportsmanship.  They're fans of winning and of finding ways to rig the game so winning becomes easy.

Mike

You mean building a contender?  Building a talented team tends to make winning easy against all but the strongest opponents.  That's what we should want.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
This tanking or not tanking debate is getting old.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2015, 07:17:36 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Agreed. I would love to stop the debate. If the tankers don't create new threads about tanking I promise I won't criticise tanking.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What you fail to realize is we DID try to tank. Did you forget that we traded away two of our best players in the season?

If you're mad because we got to the Playoffs and got swept, be mad at thé players and coaches who competed and had a big sense of pride to not lose on purpose. Go tell them off as to why they decided to play hard instead of just giving up. Go ahead. I dare you. Because they're the reason we made the Playoffs, not the "anti-tanking" bunch. They didn't want to lose, they wanted to compete. So go tell them that what they did was the wrong thing to do and they should have just gave up on the season and not compete.

Tell them. PLEASE! I beg you to tell the players and CBS that trying to win was a stupid decision.

We on the other hand, will enjoy real progress, Jae Crowder and Marcus Smart, along with a lot of room to improve.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2015, 07:18:49 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
I 'enjoyed' them missing the playoffs last year, and I would have preferred they miss them this year, as well

Erase the quotes. Don't be a hypocrite.

I have no need to erase the quotes, and I'm not being a hypocrite.  My post stands just fine as I wrote it.  I can separate short term and long term, and can appreciate strategy.  You might want to try it yourself.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's better than threads that involve unrealistic trade ideas or trying to sign a restricted free agent who will get any offer sheet matched by his current team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

It's better than threads that involve unrealistic trade ideas or trying to sign a restricted free agent who will get any offer sheet matched by his current team.

Yeah the threads saying we could get Kawhi or Love or Draymond Green got old too.  ;D
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2015, 07:26:57 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
I'm enjoying myself

Do pro tankers EVER enjoy themselves?

I 'enjoyed' them missing the playoffs last year, and I would have preferred they miss them this year, as well, which puts me in the company of Danny Ainge, the team's GM.

And what does Ainge himself think of his performance as a GM and his ability to manufacture a championship team out of all the assets in his control now? I'm guessing he is very happy with himself and very confident about his ability. As he should be. Whatever preference he had for missing the playoffs over making them must have been a weak preference. Because he probably realizes there are different ways to build a titlewinner besides grooming players you yourself have drafted high in the lottery. Like the way he himself used 8 years ago. I doubt he's bothered much by picking a few places higher. I doubt he thinks it will significantly affect his chances to build a winner. I doubt he's not enjoying his situation.

Being a singleminded tank commander is NOT being in Ainge's company.

Ainge gets it, about the draft picks v. playoff fodder, even if the more homeristic Celtics fans prefer to ignore it.  Ainge understands that, especially without the ability to plumb the high schools for the likes of Perkins and Jefferson,  higher draft picks is the most likely way that this team is going to turn into a contender. 

"It’s not my objective to be an eighth seed in the playoffs,” Ainge told the Herald. “My objective is to win championships, and we’re a long way from that.”

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2015, 07:29:08 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I watched meaningful games at the Garden, cheered my team on, and had a great time. I got to go to a playoff game in a year where I expected us to be irrelevant by December.

So yeah, I think I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yup....loved the young guys being in the playoffs.

There is not tanking much left,  other than Bass and Wallace and Gigi......DA may trade some young talent for a pick ..but that's not tanking.....throwing the team to trash the season  ::)

Pro tankers can dream on.......if your to thick headed to accept the the fact ......DA isn't selling off his good young players in order to take a risk on a lottery pick by losing.   

Celtics is about winning the right way ...not silly gimmicks

Stevens is not a loser or losing coach .....losing is not in his DNA .....he ll play every game towin.

Get use to it ....your dreaming if anybody thinks he ll ever be part to a 76 ers fiasco

The approach to rebuilding starts with Owners and GM ......sooner your thick skulls can absorb that FACT will make you much happier people or kids .

Sorry your too absorbed into being losers to enjoy the playoffs .

I hope this team makes the playoffs again .......no more miserable years of waiting on the lottery as he high point .....that's sad way to live.

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Was it worth it? Did the crew gain "valuable playoff experience!" Newsflash, nobody on this team will be here when we are back to a championship level so it won't matter. We could be crossing our fingers for a top 3 pick right now to help speed up the rebuild but nope. Sorry. Try again next time. At least we have the Brooklyn pick next year to rely on. Ainge is so bad at tanking maybe someone else can do it for him.

(Sorry in advance, this thread was just too easy NOT to make)

Well, for the last time, then: I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOvSBjNWYsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IjTgwXRKZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlZ6cfimoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbE7oAw6soQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D68sxl04Mcw
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2015, 07:49:21 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I enjoyed it very much; Thank you for your concern;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I had a great time. Kept it much closer then I thought we would. We have cap space, draft picks and showed off some of our guys for future trades. Impossible for us to get a top pick this year and I don't know of a game changer coming out this year anyway. So it's all good for me.

As a plus it's possible that with injury's and suspensions we could've hurt the Cav's in the next round. So that's icing on the cake.
Peace through Tyranny