Author Topic: Enjoying yourselves Anti-Tankers?  (Read 12788 times)

Re: Enjoying yourselves Anti-Tankers?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 04:51:41 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
This thread should be titled

"Enjoying yourselves Tankers?" because a lot of the tankers on this board were pulling hard for a sweep here and now they are reaping the benefits.

I mean OP is basically giddy that we got swept.

I know, right? It's pretty sad. OP was probably rooting for the Cavs all series long just so he could hop on here and make this thread. Great job, dude. Congratulations.

Tankers only care about videogames, fantasy games, mock drafts. Watch games? So boring...
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Was it worth it? Did the crew gain "valuable playoff experience!" Newsflash, nobody on this team will be here when we are back to a championship level so it won't matter. We could be crossing our fingers for a top 3 pick right now to help speed up the rebuild but nope. Sorry. Try again next time. At least we have the Brooklyn pick next year to rely on. Ainge is so bad at tanking maybe someone else can do it for him.

(Sorry in advance, this thread was just too easy NOT to make)

:'(
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 04:56:25 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
Was it worth it? Did the crew gain "valuable playoff experience!" Newsflash, nobody on this team will be here when we are back to a championship level so it won't matter. We could be crossing our fingers for a top 3 pick right now to help speed up the rebuild but nope. Sorry. Try again next time. At least we have the Brooklyn pick next year to rely on. Ainge is so bad at tanking maybe someone else can do it for him.

(Sorry in advance, this thread was just too easy NOT to make)

You try again next year. Ainge won't tank. And you and your friends tankers will waste hours and hours and hours creating threads asking for us to tank and crying because "look, uncle, I want that center I'm seeing at Draft Express, I want him now, now, now".
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I LOVE what the Celtics did this year and they proved to be a team AND organization to be PROUD of.  I'm not sure that fans and Philly and NY can say the same thing.  A top 3 pick guarantees nothing.  It may take the C's a little bit longer to be at a championship level, but I am ok with that because I can confidently say that the Celtics are moving in the right direction with DA and CBS.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Anti-tanker reporting...glad Celtics started winning and played well enough to make the playoffs.   Didn't like C's losing series to Cavs 4-0 however but that was expected.

The idea that the C's if they finished low enough to miss the playoffs would result in a great player in the NBA draft is very unlikely.   

I don't like losing but I'm not naïve to think the current roster is going to get them much further next year.   Hope the C's can make progress and build on this season.

MikeB

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yep.

I'm as happy as a Pig in Slop about now

If we listened to our good friend from Cavs Kevin Dsad, we'd be blown out by 50 pts every night. That didn't happen.

We instead proved that we are 1 or 2 stars away from going deep. Someone out there is paying attention to BOS, and when they call, Danny will be waiting

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
This team deserved to feel the love and intensity from a home playoff crowd.  I enjoyed watching them give their all all, even when grossly outmatched. 

Onward and upward.
Yup

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I don't think you can call this C's season anything but a major success across the board. 

1) They completely overhauled the roster during the season

2) Traded away 2 of their top 3 overall best players (I think Sully was and is a more talented player than Jeff Green),

3) Amassed a ton of draft picks and salary cap flexibility

4) Acquired possibly the best 6th man in the league who has a ridiculously cheap contract

5) Got tons of valuable reps/mins for their best young prospect (Smart)

All while getting significantly better as a team and nearly finishing with a .500 record, reaching the playoffs and competing with one of the best teams in the NBA and a 4-time MVP.

They are just as good from a talent and competitive standpoint as the team was 2 years ago.  The future looked very uncertain and possibly even bleak then.  It looks WAY BETTER NOW.  This team is legitimately one good/very good NBA player away from being one of the top seeds in the East next year, and they only have one player over 30 (whose $11 Mil contract is expiring next season, a wonderful trade chip)

I am very happy with everything that happened.  This team is in great shape with great leadership.  Next year is gonna be a lot of fun.

The opposite of what it would be if we had tanked.

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
This thread should get exactly what happened to JR Smith today.  It's stuff like this that brings this site down to new lows.

We are Celtics fans.  Brad Stevens coaches to win.  Danny makes trades to develop this team into a winner.  And 1997 proved to REAL Celtics fans that tanking guarantees nothing...

This thread is a joke...

What does making the NBA playoffs as a fringe team guarantee? Less than nothing. Has a 7th or 8th seed EVER won the championship?

I would of taken the half a percent chance at a top 3 pick by not making the playoffs than squeezing in. At least then you have an actual chance. The NBA is flawed in that it is a game built around stars. If you do not have stars or multiple exceptionally good players you have nothing.

I love the Celtics as much as anyone that's why I want them to land the next anthony davis and actually develop into a championship team. This is Boston, not Sacremento. It is championship or bust.

An Anthony Davis comes around once every 5 years. If you tank and finish last, that only gives you a 25% chance at staying #1. So you have to wait for the right year for there to be a superstar, and then even if you tank perfectly and finish last, you're still most likely not gonna get the #1 pick. Then you have to wait another 5 years and try again, when it will in all likelyhood not
work again.

How/why the hell are you willing to do that?

That was one example. Every draft has at least one or two franchise players. Last year was Parker and Wiggins, year before that was Nerlens Noel, Year before that was Anthony Davis, Damian Lilliard, and Andre Drummond. You cant win championships drafting Kelly Olynyks every year.It also doesnt matter if the actual player is valuable.

A top 3 pick is inherently very very valuable in the NBA. You can use it to trade for a Kevin Love.

Noel and Gobert. They both are studs in the making. Gianis could be. But im on the fence with him. I ain't with the hype. Rudy tho, he's stats had people mentioning him for DPOY. In just his second year.

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I'm enjoying myself

Do pro tankers EVER enjoy themselves?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What reaction do you predict from tankers if the Pacers get a top three pick?  I think it will be incredibly entertaining.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 06:05:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Like in 2007-08 when Danny brought together almost an entire new team and then instantly won a championship, we witnessed history this year. No one had ever seen an instant championship turnaround going from second worst record to title before. It was unbelievable.

This year we saw what no one else had ever seen before again. The amount of trades in season, the amount of roster turnover, the amount of injuries and the age of the players on the final roster combined to create a situation that once again never happened before. Teams that have that many trades, injuries and roster turnover all while having almost the entire roster be young(under 25 year old players) DO NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!! It doesn't happen!!

How can you not be satisfied and proud of this team if you are a Celtics fan?

They are ridiculously young. They have a second year 30 something coach. They started off the year with a brutal schedule and unhappy campers. Ainge ripped apart this roster over and over again and yet for the final half of the season the Boston Celtics had one of the best records in the NBA.

Unreal. I am not sure I have ever been more proud to call this team my team. You're dang skippy I am enjoying myself right now. I am a Boston Celtics fan!

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
I'm enjoying myself

Do pro tankers EVER enjoy themselves?

Yes, when they trade Phil Pressey for Anthony Davis in a videogame.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 06:17:19 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If the alternative is trying to lose, then yes, I enjoyed myself. 

It amazes me that people think the 10th pick in the draft is going to net us a franchise changing player.  The Timberwolves ended up with the last two #1 picks and they were/are horrid and back in the lottery.  But we are the #10 pick away from a championship.  Puuuullllllleeeassse.

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2015, 06:18:35 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
That was one example. Every draft has at least one or two franchise players. Last year was Parker and Wiggins, year before that was Nerlens Noel, Year before that was Anthony Davis, Damian Lilliard, and Andre Drummond. You cant win championships drafting Kelly Olynyks every year.It also doesnt matter if the actual player is valuable.

A top 3 pick is inherently very very valuable in the NBA. You can use it to trade for a Kevin Love.

Are you actually a fan of the Celtics, you know, the franchise that won a championship in 2008 after its GM traded for Kevin Garnett (a much more valuable player than Love) using a package centered on a player picked 1st 2nd 3rd 15th? Do you follow some other team, or do you just have amnesia? Yes, a higher pick is usually more valuable, in general. But it's quite possible to score a franchise player without using your own pick to draft at the top of the lottery. If your premise says otherwise, then everything else you argue on top of that premise is wrong. Proven wrong, by recent history, the recent history of this same franchise, led by the same GM.

Anyway, none of the players you just mentioned there have even sniffed a Finals yet. They are evidence of nothing so far. In fact, there are only six teams in the entire league that've won a championship since 1999. Spurs, Lakers, Pistons, Heat, Celtics, Mavs. Only stars on those teams drafted higher than ninth by the team they won a title with: Duncan, Wade. That's it. 16 years of championships, and only two players fit your paradigm of The Only Way to Win a Championship. Your paradigm fails.

There are multiple paths to building a championship roster, because there are multiple paths to acquiring championship talent. Not just drafting high.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.