Author Topic: So... What lessons did we learn?  (Read 13319 times)

Re: So... What lessons did we learn?
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
Two bad games for IT shooting the ball and many are ready to toss him off the island? Seems a little harsh to me...Here are my thoughts:

Keep if $ is right: Crowder, Bass & Jerebko

Guys who could excel off the bench: Zeller, Olynyk & IT

Possible All-Star: Smart

Need to see more of: Young

Guys I'd drive to the airport: Bradley, Turner, Datome, Wallace, Pressey & Sully (IF he doesn't lose weight)

No doubt, this team needs plenty, but they're ahead of schedule...A bench of Olynyk, Zeller, Bass, IT, Crowder and an improving Young is a good start. IF Sully is healthy and in shape, he could easily start at the four. If Smart improves as much as I think he's going to, he's still capable of playing the point. I would like the starting '2', '3' or '4' to be able to handle the rock at times.

Targets @ PF: Greg Monroe, Paul Millsap, Greg Monroe, Draymond Green, Tristan Thompson, Thomas Robinson & Al Jefferson (PO)

Targets @ C: DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler & Omer Asik

Targets @ SF: Kawhi Leonard, DeMarre Carroll & Khris Middleton

Targets @ PG: Patrick Beverley & Jeremy Lin

Why would you want jeremy lin?

Why list Bass as a keeper?

The only players I would list as keepers who are FA this summer are Jorebko and Crowder. Jorebko deserves around 4-5 mil a year for three years as a major bench piece, and Crowder probably deserves 5-6 mil a year off the bench. Those are two actually quality bench players.

Bass is a not as good as Jorebko or Sullinger for that matter. Just in better shape than Sully.

I would list Jimmy Butler as an actual possible target along with Khris Middleton for SF. Don't want Lin even a little bit. Would take Greg Monroe as a Center, not a PF. He is better there. But would rather try to find a stronger defensive type to fill that spot.

I think this is going to be a really busy offseason starting from the draft onward. Even if Ainge can't make the big splash he wants to, I am sure he will be all over the place trying to find the best fitting pieces to be our number 1 and 2 type guys that we need on our team.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Keep - Smart, Young (we haven't seen nearly enough of him yet, imo), Crowder, and maybe Sullinger, although if some gm is dumb enough to give us someone/something good for him, I'd probably jump at the chance to ship him out of town, lol. ;D

Jettison - everyone else, haha. ;D Thomas, especially.  I can't stand him.  It's frustrating enough watching him even try to play defense, and it's even worse when he's on offense.  He's nothing but a hero ball player, and on the rare occasion when he actually feels like passing, more often than not he gets in the air before he knows what he's going to do, which is a cardinal sin for a point guard.  He plays completely out of control, most of the time, as well.  Pass (unlike him, lol ;D).

Everyone will be on the table. Danny will trade anyone

I know.  It's like Game of Thrones, NBA edition, lol. ;D

We're talking about the guy who traded Rondo, PP, KG, Toine, Big Al, Perk, GG, Jeff Green, among countless others. You think he's going to lose any sleep over trading anyone on a team that was just swept out of the first round?

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I would be sad to see Smart and Crowder go. I love their grit and effort. I would also be sad to see IT go because while he has his warts, he is wonderful in this system and he puts in max effort every game. I can't begrudge a guy who has a hard time defending guys who are 5-10 inches taller than he is.

But I believe that Danny will put an better team on the floor for next season, regardless of who stays and who goes. And that thought and anticipation excites me.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
Ainge (or for that matter any GM) will not spend on $$$ on bench players.  You save your money for starters - and big money for All-Star starters.

The Celtics have very good bench players and a few that may be borderline the fourth or fifth starters on a playoff team.  Ainge will not spend significant funds signing any of our players that are free agents.

He will save his cash to make a splash.  The Crowders, Jerebkos etc.. can be obtained at any time.  They are on rosters across the league and are easily obtainable.  Teams like Cleveland, Chicago or Memphis will no doubt offer MLE to our free agents to fill their benches.

My thoughts on the C's roster

Bradley - couldnt stop Irving, still a solid defender, ultimately an undersized  BENCH D+3 SG
Smart - still early in development - a rich man's Bradley.
IT4 - Bench sparkplug, undersized showed flaws against larger and physical opponents
Pressey -  3rd string PG
Young - not enough info

*Jerebko - decent bench player (#9-10 in rotation, not your first big off the bench)
*Datome - end of bench player
Babb - trade filler
*Crowder - energy, 3+D, solid bench player
Turner - inconsistent, borderline starter, effectiveness would diminish with a true PG playmaker

*Bass - borderline starter
Olynyk - bench stretch 4, needs to be more aggressive and gain strength
Sully - needs to get in shape, borderline starter
Zeller - solid #2 C
Wallace - expiring contract