Author Topic: So... What lessons did we learn?  (Read 13318 times)

Re: So... What lessons did we learn?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
That we should tank next year and trade our entire team and picks for a star.

Oh yeah...that sounds logical.

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It seems to me that being a team mate of IT4 would be a wearing experience, I can envision him being one of those guys who bounces from team to team and ends up playing on 6-8 teams when his career is all said and done, gets his numbers, but not much else.
Rich man's Nate Robinson.

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Keeping: Smart, Crowder, Young
Trading block: Everyone else.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I also learned that outside of Smart and Crowder, any of these guys can be traded. As well as Brad Stevens is the man.
isnt crowder a free agent ?
Restricted
How much is he getting on the open market?  Retaining him might eat into our cap space. If we want to sign a max contract or a couple impact players, we may be forced to let bass, jerebko and crowder walk.

I don't know what he'll cost, but I watch a guy like Draymond Green play a starring role for the best team in basketball, and it makes me think I'd be willing to see the Celtics spend some money to retain Jae Crowder.

Now, if somebody offers him something silly like over $10million a year, that would be tough to match.  Who's going to offer him that, though?  Contenders can't afford to pay that to a guy a like Crowder (plus, most of them already have a guy like that), and rebuilding teams are looking for potential stars, not highly paid glue guys.

I think we can get him back at a reasonable rate.  Something like six or seven per year for three or four years would make me happy.
You letting Bass and Jerebko walk?  Letting those guys walk and giving Crowder 7 mil leaves us with roughly 16 mil in cap space.  Still enough to sign an impact player.   Probably just enough to bring back Bass and sign Asik.   Gives us a nice 32-45 win team next season.

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It seems to me that being a team mate of IT4 would be a wearing experience, I can envision him being one of those guys who bounces from team to team and ends up playing on 6-8 teams when his career is all said and done, gets his numbers, but not much else.

. . . Aaron Brooks . . . Jerryd Bayless.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
They're not even close, as currently constructed.  They do not have a single player who would currently be thought of as a legit 'starter' on a championship level team.

On the other hand, they've got money, space and picks.  If they can pull off a major FA coup (Aldridge + Love, for example), they could be serious contenders in the pathetic East as early as next year.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nothing we didn't know already.

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I also learned that outside of Smart and Crowder, any of these guys can be traded. As well as Brad Stevens is the man.
isnt crowder a free agent ?
Restricted
How much is he getting on the open market?  Retaining him might eat into our cap space. If we want to sign a max contract or a couple impact players, we may be forced to let bass, jerebko and crowder walk.

I don't know what he'll cost, but I watch a guy like Draymond Green play a starring role for the best team in basketball, and it makes me think I'd be willing to see the Celtics spend some money to retain Jae Crowder.

Now, if somebody offers him something silly like over $10million a year, that would be tough to match.  Who's going to offer him that, though?  Contenders can't afford to pay that to a guy a like Crowder (plus, most of them already have a guy like that), and rebuilding teams are looking for potential stars, not highly paid glue guys.

I think we can get him back at a reasonable rate.  Something like six or seven per year for three or four years would make me happy.
You letting Bass and Jerebko walk?  Letting those guys walk and giving Crowder 7 mil leaves us with roughly 16 mil in cap space.  Still enough to sign an impact player.   Probably just enough to bring back Bass and sign Asik.   Gives us a nice 32-45 win team next season.

I'm not signing Asik.  I'd love to bring back Bass and Jerebko, but if signing Crowder means that we have to let those guys walk, then so be it.

You say we'd still have $16 mill. left over?  That could buy us something nice. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I do not want Asik.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Never-ever, put a player above the team. 

We went away from TEAM ball, to Pick-n-Roll / Iso ball every time IT4 came in. Guys standing around waiting for IT4 to create.  Heck, we even slowed the game down waiting on IT4.  SO PREDICTABLE.....

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2015, 05:44:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Shorter Jamal Crawford
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 05:47:35 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Shorter Jamal Crawford

That's the best comparison I have of him. He's a good player and asset.

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
we need a consistent and reliable rebounder, a star

that'll be a start

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Most likely we are getting swept, our comeback is too little, too late.

What are some lessons we have learned from the Playoff Experience?

We need a defensive rebounder.

We need to make open 3s.

We do those two things...team can play with anyone in this conference.

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Never-ever, put a player above the team. 

We went away from TEAM ball, to Pick-n-Roll / Iso ball every time IT4 came in. Guys standing around waiting for IT4 to create.  Heck, we even slowed the game down waiting on IT4.  SO PREDICTABLE.....

That's way too simple of an analysis.  Cleveland's defense forced that.  Turner could not create much all series (except Game 3).  We don't have anyone else on the roster who can dribble penetrate besides Thomas, so when he was in that is exactly what he needed to do.  Cleveland is just a really athletic defensive team.  It starts with Lebron, but adding Shumpert and Mozgov to that team was a huge positive.  They are both excellent defenders.  Kyrie was really good all series on D as well.