Author Topic: Threes and Free Throws  (Read 2305 times)

Re: Threes and Free Throws
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
@ threes,

(1) a SF who can shoot
(2) a starting PG who can attack, beat his man, get into the paint and make good pass

Agreed on the SF.  Replacing Turner with a forward who can shoot and still get to the line would make a huge difference.

As for the PG, I think they can stick with the Smart / Thomas combo and hope to see enough improvement from Smart to make it work.  The alternative would be to shell out a bunch of money or assets to get a middle-of-the-road starting option like Reggie Jackson, Kemba Walker, or Brandon Jennings.

I am not seeing it with Smart.

The most important element to offenses in NBA now is dribble penetration rather than post play in the past. You gotta have someone who can beat his man and get into the paint. Smart was the worst starting PG in the league at this this season. Even with improvement, it's unlucky he'll ever be more than bottom 1/3.

Most teams get the dribble penetration from the PG position. A few lucky teams have a LeBron or a Harden who can do the job for them. If Boston cannot get a wing like that -- which given how few of them are in the league seems highly unlikely to happen -- I have a tough time seeing them ever having a high functioning offense with Smart at the point.

You might be right, but it's too early in Smart's development to just give up on him.  So either you try Smart at the 2, or you see if he can get inside and to the line at least as often as he did in college.

There just aren't many better options for the Celts at point guard right now, as far as I can see.  Unless you want Ainge to give up a treasure trove to acquire Ty Lawson.

I would be preparing to make that change. Not necessarily this summer but I do think it'll need to happen at some point. Probably sometime soon.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be in favor of trading Bradley to move up in the draft or upgrade somewhere else in the lineup and then try Smart at the 2.

Think it's going to be tough to find a better option at starting point without giving up a lot, though.

Maybe they can try to sign George Hill next summer.  He would be a good fit, I think.  Brandon Jennings should be available this summer, unless Detroit declines to sign Reggie Jackson.

I've never been a fan of Jennings, but maybe Brad could work some magic with him the way he's cleaned up Turner's game.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Game 4 really highlighting these weaknesses.

Celts 1-16 from three point land in this game at the start of the 4th quarter.  Attempted 25 free throws, but only shooting 56%.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 12:45:15 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
C's current roster does not contain a 20/10/4 big man.

C's current roster does not contain a Jordan / post Jordan "go to wing player".

C's current roster does not contain a "modern day" go to "one" who can score and play make for his teammates.

Sully, at best is a 15/8/2 post player, but he needs better conditioning and he needs to stay injury free! Opposing teams are not going to really game plan their defense just to stop Sully.

Marcus Thorton & Isiah Thomas may be our current team's most likely "go to player" from the wing spot. Smart isn't the greatest FT or 3PT shooter, and he seems to have an uncontrolled temper, and I am being polite.

Isiah Thomas is a very good player to have on a roster, but he cannot be a team's credible go to player or #1 option. His stature is too short/small and he isn't exactly the best play maker, and right now with out current roster's talent.....who exactly does anyone "play make" for on the offensive side of the ball? My answers are Tyler Zeller down low, Bradely and Olly off curl picks? Again, opposing defenses are not really going to game plan to defend against our players.

When the opposing team is already that much more offensively talened than we are, they are not exactly going to over contentrate on figuring out ways to stop us. They are more likely going to emphasis on how to improve their own offensive schemes.

The wild card, IMO, that we do possess is CBS's play book. I do think CBS makes our offensive side of the ball......looks better than it actually is.....

Since the talent on our roster can use a lot more work, we should focus on draft and future drafts.....things may not pan out....but that is the pool that we have access to.....unless we make trades with other teams in similar positions or are afraid of losing their own talented players to free agency.

Our last 3 loss to the Cavs were each by 8 points and we were a combined 14 - 68 from 3PT (21.88%). The FT shooting was pretty good up until our last game, but still we could focus more attention on FT, all forms of shooting.

Next season, I am actually pretty confident in our current squad....confident in them as a "regular season" team. Playoffs? Not that confident.....

Let us work more on basic aspects of the game, FT and 3PT shooting, rebounding and turnovers, etc.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 01:17:30 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Seeing a team shoot that poorly, is a mental thing, especially in a game like this, and that is part of why you want the games, even if you lose.  it helps players learn that focus, which in turn makes them more valuable as players or trade options etc, no?  If we had a couple big time players, not that this is possible, but drop a Chris Paul, and/or D. Jordan into the roster, and I imagine this series being a sweep the other way.