Poll

Do you think Danny could blow this team up if they get swept like the 02-03 Cs?

No, this is the group to build upon just add a rim protector.
4 (18.2%)
No, they are one star away. C's will sign that star.
3 (13.6%)
Yes, they need to get worse just keep a few young guys and draft a star.
10 (45.5%)
Yes, too many flawed players dump everyone.
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: 14-15 Celtics could be repeat of the 02-03 Celtics  (Read 4123 times)

14-15 Celtics could be repeat of the 02-03 Celtics
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:55:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hi Everyone, can't help feel like this team is too similar to 2002-2003.
Vin Baker=Sully, They let you down.
Eric Williams=Crowder, good toughness.
Toine=AB, Are they a part of the problem?
Delk=IT, good scoring PG.
Pierce=Turner, jack/ten of all trades...
Shammond Williams=Smart, Rookie defender.
Waltha=Jerekbo, on the court mascot.
Battie=Zeller, Decent Center that starts
Blount=KO, young big you wish did more.
JR Bremer=Pressey, tough young hustle player.

So question is does DA blow it up like he did then?

Re: 14-15 Celtics could be repeat of the 02-03 Celtics
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 02:34:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The team has already been blown up.  This is the aftermath.  They weren't supposed to win this many games.   What you see here is the post-apocalyptic Celtics... the crumbled rubble and ashes of a demolition.  Basically nobody on this team is a foundation piece.  There isn't a single player on this roster that I can confidentially say will be here next year.   Smart would be the toughest one to let go... which might make him the one most likely to go.   At this point, nothing would shock me.  We could have an entire different starting lineup in a few months.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:36 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
The team has already been blown up.  This is the aftermath.  They weren't supposed to win this many games.   What you see here is the post-apocalyptic Celtics... the crumbled rubble and ashes of a demolition.  Basically nobody on this team is a foundation piece.  There isn't a single player on this roster that I can confidentially say will be here next year.   Smart would be the toughest one to let go... which might make him the one most likely to go.   At this point, nothing would shock me.  We could have an entire different starting lineup in a few months.
I take it you voted dump everyone then.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:57:47 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I take it you voted dump everyone then.
I don't think Ainge will head into the offseason with the goal to dump everyone.  The players don't need to be punished.  It's a good culture and the players play hard in spite of their lack of talent.  But Ainge will jump at any opportunity to upgrade talent.  Everyone is available. 

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:06:43 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
The playoffs have put the question of 'what will The Celtics look like next season' out of my mind a little bit. Near the end of the season I was thinking 2 to 3 players required. Now I have moments when I think we may have only one starter here now, but I think I am getting ahead of myself and hoping for a bigger DA miracle than can be achieved. I don't want another season where we scrape into the playoffs in a weak East, or miss them completely or improve slightly. I worry that the reality may be having to wait for all the pieces to come together as we need more than 2 players.

I should have more confidence in the present group, CBS and DA. IT has been an excellent addition, next season we will compete with 3 new starters.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 03:38:40 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
You're reaching on the individual comparisons, not that it matters. The 2002-03 Cs were on the decline and it was a disappointing season. The 2002-3 team was also not young and other than Pierce, there was little upside.

Everyone's on the block with Danny. I expect a lot of trades and departures, but signing FAs will be very difficult with the salary cap going up dramatically the following year.  It's unlikely we're going to experience the tunover we've seen the last 2 years though.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Trader Danny has shipped out and brought so many new guys through I fully expect he at some point to get some of their names wrong at the introductory press conference.
Funny thing is he may just be scratched the surface with this rebuild, hasn't even loaded that chamber yet.
There is always the worry that CBS may tire of all the losing , so getting his feet wet getting to the playoffs may get Ownership and Ainge to speed up the rebuild process and use a few of those future pics this summer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:46:48 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not sure I understand the question.  When I hear "dump" I think of a team that is getting rid of one set of players, not expecting much in return, so that they can hit rock bottom and start over.  As someone else said, they have already done the dump phase (most recently Rondo and Green).  Deciding not to keep a player in the future is very different to me than to "dump" them.  The only player that is left to be dumped is Wallace.

Right now, the Celtics don't have anyone who is good enough be considered untouchable and other than Wallace, no one who is a bad enough situation (contract etc.) that they would have to dump them to continue the rebuild.  Just because there is no one left to dump doesn't mean that the rebuild is not fully on though.  The Celtics could reasonably set the goal to upgrade every position.  They won't be able to do that of course but I am sure that will be the approach.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:00:44 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Turner is nowhere close to Paul Pierce.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Amen to that!!!  We'd be in great shape if we had a young Paul Pierce on the team. 

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Amen to that!!!  We'd be in great shape if we had a young Paul Pierce on the team.
It's not a literal statistical type comparison. It's roles and vibe. But I should have probably said 7 of all trades to Pierce's Jack.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hi Everyone, can't help feel like this team is too similar to 2002-2003.
Vin Baker=Sully, They let you down.
Eric Williams=Crowder, good toughness.
Toine=AB, Are they a part of the problem?
Delk=IT, good scoring PG.
Pierce=Turner, jack/ten of all trades...
Shammond Williams=Smart, Rookie defender.
Waltha=Jerekbo, on the court mascot.
Battie=Zeller, Decent Center that starts
Blount=KO, young big you wish did more.
JR Bremer=Pressey, tough young hustle player.

So question is does DA blow it up like he did then?
This is really a stretch.  I get it, but it's a stretch. A yoga stretch.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's not a literal statistical type comparison. It's roles and vibe. But I should have probably said 7 of all trades to Pierce's Jack.

I get the role and vibe thing, but it irks me when people compare where this team is to where it was back then, because I'd be thrilled if I thought the Celts had a young Paul Pierce anywhere on this roster.

Heck, having a Toine on this roster would be a nice start (talentwise, OK ...probably wouldn't want a chucker of that magnitude).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: 14-15 Celtics could be repeat of the 02-03 Celtic
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not at all. 

That team was already plateauing and was much more in a "win now" mode at the expense of the future.  They peaked the season before with the conference finals appearance and tried to maintain that success the following season to less spectacular results.  They took even a further step back the next season. 

This team is upward trending with much more emphasis on youth.  However, the '02-'03 team still had a franchise guy in Pierce with Walker still being a solid 2nd banana. This team doesn't have that yet.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
A proper tank needs to be done. Danny should know better after this year.