Author Topic: Warming up to PF draft prospect Christian Wood  (Read 6853 times)

Warming up to PF draft prospect Christian Wood
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
And we might have to reach for him at 16. 

Watching some more game highlights and analyzing his stats (game logs) , Wood has the potential to be  a real good pf in the nba. In 2012 his measurements were 6'10 in shoes with a 7'2 wingspan, 220 pounds.  Could be slightly taller with a slightly longer wingspan and a few pounds heavier now.  His drawback at the moment is a lack of 10-15 pounds to handle nba pfs  .  Still Wood is not afraid to get involved under the basket , explosive ,  has a good jump shot and handles for his size. Good rebounder /shot blocker. 

Has wide shoulders unlike JJJ. His body shape reminds me of Anthony Davis. Just not as long wingspan.  Game reminds me of Chris Bosh

game-highs for last season.
Rebounds: 19 vs Fresno State (2015-02-10)
Blocks: 7  vs Fresno State (2015-02-10)
3 point shooting: 4-6 vs Wyoming (2014-12-31)

Overall per game stats for last season:  15.7 ppg,  10 rpg, 2.7 blk, FT % .736, FG% .497

Christian Wood at 16. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkstASbGp7Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhCqp7Y4xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_H7fpSbK0

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:25:09 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Warming up to PF draft prospect Christian Wood
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
16 is too much of a reach for Woods. But I say if you like a guy then pound the table for your guy and take him. I want Vezenkov at 28 that is a reach but he is a favorite.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
16 is too much of a reach for Woods. But I say if you like a guy then pound the table for your guy and take him. I want Vezenkov at 28 that is a reach but he is a favorite.

in your opinion why is it too much of a reach?

his stats were very good for last season.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I don't know if I would draft him with the 16th pick (I haven't seen him play that much), but I would definitely select him with the 28th pick! Either him or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

I think the worst case scenario in regards to Christian Wood would be something along the lines of John Henson which wouldn't be a bad pick.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

He pretty much got handled by every other NBA prospect. So he is two or three years away from defending NBA PFs. His offense isn't there either. Not a bad project guy for 28 though. Maybe if they trade down to 20 or lower range. I also don't see him as a guy that can play over any of the PFs currently on team either so unless we lose all in FA and trade Sully or KO he isn't getting much PT to develop quick either. He is DL player year one.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I don't know if I would draft him with the 16th pick (I haven't seen him play that much), but I would definitely select him with the 28th pick! Either him or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

I think the worst case scenario in regards to Christian Wood would be something along the lines of John Henson which wouldn't be a bad pick.

Christian Wood is not a 28th pick talent.   JJJ is a 28th pick talent. Because even though he had good length, explosiveness and ability to make the jump shot, he had no handles, narrow shoulders and was rail thin (after 4 seasons in college).

Wood improved his game/stats across the board last season compare to his freshman year, has very good handles for his size and wide shoulders (base to work with).   Maybe he ends up not able to put on many pounds which then leads him to becoming a possible bust , BUT if he can, he will be a difficult player to play against. 

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He pretty much got handled by every other NBA prospect. So he is two or three years away from defending NBA PFs. His offense isn't there either. Not a bad project guy for 28 though. Maybe if they trade down to 20 or lower range. I also don't see him as a guy that can play over any of the PFs currently on team either so unless we lose all in FA and trade Sully or KO he isn't getting much PT to develop quick either. He is DL player year one.

This is false.  He had a terrific game against Arizona. 24 pts , 10 rebounds . Reading Arizona had trouble handling wood and put several different players against him to try to slow him down

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/christian-wood-1/gamelog/2015/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLm8dyskJo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

This is false.  He had a terrific game against Arizona. 24 pts , 10 rebounds . Reading Arizona had trouble handling wood and put several different players against him to try to slow him down

To be fair the guys he had success with in that game werent really NBA prospects. RHJ did just fine against him and Stanley Johnson dominated him on both sides of the ball. I think Wood is a project purely because of how thin/weak he is but he could certainly turn into a really nice pick. Ainge tends to like 2 thing
1. Sophomores
2. guys who came out of HS really highly ranked
AB is 2, Sully is 1 and 2, KO is 1, Smart is 1 and 2, James Young and Melo are kinda outliers here but Young was 9th ranked recruit and Melo was a sophomore I believe.

Guys to watch for me are:
Oubre and Turner (top recruits)
RHJ, Wood, Portis

and interesting ones to watch are Dakari Johnson and Cliff Alexander. Both could be available in rd 2 or at Clips pick.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

To be fair the guys he had success with in that game werent really NBA prospects. RHJ did just fine against him and Stanley Johnson dominated him on both sides of the ball. I think Wood is a project purely because of how thin/weak he is but he could certainly turn into a really nice pick. Ainge tends to like 2 thing
1. Sophomores
AB is 2, Sully is 1 and 2, KO is 1, Smart is 1 and 2, James Young and Melo are kinda outliers here but Young was 9th ranked recruit and Melo was a sophomore I believe.

RHJ, Wood, Portis

and interesting ones to watch are Dakari Johnson and Cliff Alexander. Both could be available in rd 2 or at Clips pick.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2014-12-23-nevada-las-vegas.html
seriously?? Johnson went 3-11 and had 13 points.  I watched a bit of that game , and while he was solid defensively, he was not "dominating" by any means on the offensive end.  Wood's length bothered some of his shots. Wood's length bothered several Arizona's shots

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

1. Sophomores

RHJ, Wood, Portis

Wood > Portis.  Portis like JJJ has narrow shoulders, under the rim player for the most part. Does not have a long wingspan to makeup for this issue

Cliff Alexander is a Thomas Robinson part 2.  Just raw also.  Some team will take him in the 2nd round but I hope it's not the Celts
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:18:55 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:21:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

1. Sophomores

RHJ, Wood, Portis

Wood > Portis.  Portis like JJJ has narrow shoulders.   

Cliff Alexander is a Thomas Robinson part 2.  Just raw also.  Some team will take him in the 2nd round but I hope it's not the Celts
I want no part of Portis just trying to match players with Danny's habits if you will.

I wouldn't mind Alexander or d Johnson in round 2/ clips pick. For me, I like Oubre for his upside and i have no idea what to think of turner but if we stay at 16 I'd be happy with  RHJ or wood. However I would be shocked if we pick at 16
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

1. Sophomores

RHJ, Wood, Portis

I want no part of Portis just trying to match players with Danny's habits if you will.

I wouldn't mind Alexander or d Johnson in round 2/ clips pick. For me, I like Oubre for his upside and i have no idea what to think of turner but if we stay at 16 I'd be happy with  RHJ or wood. However I would be shocked if we pick at 16

you really think we can move up a little?? 

I hope so but not optimistic.  Such a premium these days to keep draft picks and develop.

Unless there is a team that likes a prospect when we pick at 16 and wouldn't mind getting another 2nd round, late 1st pick in addition

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

1. Sophomores

RHJ, Wood, Portis

I hope so but not optimistic.  Such a premium these days to keep draft picks and develop.

Unless there is a team that likes a prospect when we pick at 16 and wouldn't mind getting another 2nd round, late 1st pick in addition
Id be shocked if we got into the top 10 where the real talent is. Id absolutely love Stanley Johnson, but dont think itll happen. However getting into 10-14 is a lot easier than people think.

I think Chicago's 16 and 19 for 11 and Randolph scares people off but Chicago's primary motivation in that trade was to clear cap and not have to pay 2 1st rounders or a top 10 pick in hopes of chasing Melo.

Historically if you are just outside the lotto like we are a late 1 or some 2s can get you anywhere you want in the 10-14 range.

Also Ainge knows that 4 rookies is not wise. he also knows 4 roster spots are not wise, so Ainge will either consolidate picks, pick Euros(an intriguing option), or trade out (use TE to add someone like Taj Gibson etc)

I think if Ainge likes Oubre or Turner or whoever in 10-14 he will move up. If he likes a guy like Gibson he will trade out, and the only way I see him keeping the pick is if he uses the 2s to move up with the Clips pick. Historically 1 or 2mid 2s can get you anywhere you want in the 20-30 range.

I expect Danny to be busy on draft night
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

1. Sophomores

RHJ, Wood, Portis

Id be shocked if we got into the top 10 where the real talent is. Id absolutely love Stanley Johnson, but dont think itll happen. However getting into 10-14 is a lot easier than people think.

I think Chicago's 16 and 19 for 11 and Randolph scares people off but Chicago's primary motivation in that trade was to clear cap and not have to pay 2 1st rounders or a top 10 pick in hopes of chasing Melo.

Historically if you are just outside the lotto like we are a late 1 or some 2s can get you anywhere you want in the 10-14 range.

Also Ainge knows that 4 rookies is not wise. he also knows 4 roster spots are not wise, so Ainge will either consolidate picks, pick Euros(an intriguing option), or trade out (use TE to add someone like Taj Gibson etc)

I think if Ainge likes Oubre or Turner or whoever in 10-14 he will move up. If he likes a guy like Gibson he will trade out, and the only way I see him keeping the pick is if he uses the 2s to move up with the Clips pick. Historically 1 or 2mid 2s can get you anywhere you want in the 20-30 range.

I expect Danny to be busy on draft night

Honestly this is what I expect

On draft night, Danny tries to move up .  Maybe then try to draft a Oubre or Johnson

If he can't, he is not going to bring back, Bass, Jerebko, Datome, maybe Pressey and use the draft to fill in his roster. Also hope Sullinger, KO, Smart and Young take the next steps to help the team.

If he keeps the picks , I'm hoping he chooses one of

16:  Grant, Lyles, Wood
28:  RHJ, Wright, Martin
33:  highest ranked 1st round prospect that drops here
45:  International prospect (draft and stash)