Author Topic: On the 'Toine vs Rondo contributions  (Read 18052 times)

Re: On the 'Toine vs Rondo contributions
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
For me, that was Posey's title, not Rondo's.

I meant he participated on a team that won the title.  Walker helped the Heat win one.

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Let's not kid ourselves.  If you're gonna hold yourself to the rather ridiculous notion that its "so & so's title", then 2008 is KG through & through.

On the matter of the topic, give me Rondo.  For all his warts, when he was on, he was on.  He also put together some of the greatest Celtics postseason performances I've ever seen.  He was also a member of a Celtics championship team & a starter at that.  Walker was not.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 11:21:27 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Love both of them. Don't like seeing either guy getting as many negative comments from Celtics fans as they get. Both guys are gone now. Best to remember the good times, I reckon.

Just...  disappointed in Rondo, I mean, as much as I can be from an outside perspective.  I thought he had the chance to really take a leadership role, really take this young squad that was pretty desperate for guidance.  Didn't happen.  Really feels like he checked out of the C's as soon as they began rebuilding, he was just biding his time until he was traded or he could sign with L.A.   Stopped playing defense, by his own admission.  Just seemed to be going through the motions. 

Feels like he quit.  That's why the emotions are always going to run high and negative towards him.

Antoine was a massively flawed player, and I don't think he always understood what needed to be done to win but I never got the sense he wasn't putting forth the effort when he was on the floor. 

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
To me, Walker seemed to love playing basketball - just hated practicing the finer parts of his game. Didn't like working out. Didn't work on his ball handling, shooting, etc....

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
To me, Walker seemed to love playing basketball - just hated practicing the finer parts of his game. Didn't like working out. Didn't work on his ball handling, shooting, etc....

Not quite Derrick Coleman but Walker was insanely gifted and wasted a lot of it.  He got into bad habits early in his career and it carried with him. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney

Not quite Derrick Coleman but Walker was insanely gifted and wasted a lot of it.  He got into bad habits early in his career and it carried with him.

The irony is that in the latter half of his career, Toine got in better shape. Slimmed down, etc...his skills just eroded exponentially faster than they should've.

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 03:15:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

shame about Coleman.  he looked ready to take over the league when the Nets had him and Kenny Anderson but he just seemed to stop caring when Drazen Petrovic died.   

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The irony is that in the latter half of his career, Toine got in better shape. Slimmed down, etc...his skills just eroded exponentially faster than they should've.

I sometimes think Sully has some of this in him.

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Let's not kid ourselves.  If you're gonna hold yourself to the rather ridiculous notion that its "so & so's title", then 2008 is KG through & through.

Not in my book. With out The Captain then the Celtics wouldn't have got past the Cavs in the second round and KG would still be ringless.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Loved Toine, but I go prime Rondo over prime Toine every time.  Toine for all his skill and versatility and passion never had the freak athletic chops to raise his game to the heights Rondo reached. I just can't imagine Toine being able to cross swords with the like of LeBron and come away the winner.  He had a hard enough time matching Kenyon Martin.

But both guys were absolute workhorses. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
Loved Toine, but I go prime Rondo over prime Toine every time.  Toine for all his skill and versatility and passion never had the freak athletic chops to raise his game to the heights Rondo reached. I just can't imagine Toine being able to cross swords with the like of LeBron and come away the winner.  He had a hard enough time matching Kenyon Martin.

But both guys were absolute workhorses.

This is just about where I land. Such an interesting discussion though.

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Not in my book. With out The Captain then the Celtics wouldn't have got past the Cavs in the second round and KG would still be ringless.

That's exactly part of the reason why the discussion is so silly: basketball is a team game.

That said, we saw what Paul Pierce accomplished as the best player on the Celtics for a long time: a whole lot of not much. He needed KG (and vice versa) the same way two elements need each other to create a reaction.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Love both of them. Don't like seeing either guy getting as many negative comments from Celtics fans as they get. Both guys are gone now. Best to remember the good times, I reckon.

TP.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2015, 12:24:53 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Here's my assessment of the 2008 title, the cornerstone was Pierce and KG.

Then, the key supporting staff was RA, Posey, and Perks in the middle.

And afterwards, the rest of the crew: House, T Allen, Rondo, Powe, BBD, Cassell, PJB, etc.

In 2010, Rondo raised his game to the key support staff level.

So in my hypothetical scenario of a 23 year old 'Toine in 2008, he'd have been in the key supporting staff, earlier on, as the vocal leader of the 2nd unit, and he would have remained on in from '09 to '12, up until PP & KG got traded.

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »

Offline AntoineWalkerShimmyShake

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Antoine, obviously.  8)