Author Topic: Toronto Raptors Firesale  (Read 7694 times)

Re: Toronto Raptors Firesale
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Valanciunias is definitely the target and I don't think it's out of the question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he a pick of the old regime? Been getting the vibe for a while that they might think he should be farther along than he is. Seems like they've been talking about him becoming "more assertive" for a while now.

With that ball hoggy back court they might not think he can demand the ball enough to warrant the contract he'll be owed. As Lucky17 pointed out Kelly would be a seemingly natural trade chip, unlike some other Canadian prospects he has ties to Toronto. Would he be enticing enough to trade inside the division? Stranger things have happened.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I'd love to have Jonas, though he's young enough that they'd keep him around.

I think Lowry and Smart could form a pretty terrifying backcourt, and Lowry's contract is manageable given the cap explosion and his production. It'd also possibly help draw another star to the roster. Lowry for Wallace, KO/Sully, and a future pick maybe? A stretch four would work well with Jonas in the middle I think. We'd also be free to shop Bradley, too.

Perhaps we could then convince a Love or Jordan to come here. How far would this roster get in the East?

PG: Lowry, IT
SG: Smart, Bradley
SF: Turner, Crowder
PF: Sully/KO
C: DJ, Zeller

Well, I just noticed that Lowry slots into the Rondo TPE perfectly.

KO as the native son returning to Canada also fits nicely into a rebuilding narrative for Toronto. Add the #16 pick, and maybe a future pick?

The resulting logjam in the backcourt would need to be addressed.

Shop Bradley. He'd really be redundant with Lowry being a more physical, better-shooting, more well-rounded version of him. Lowry and Smart would probably be as good as AB/Smart defensively, while bringing more shooting and scoring.

Lowry is not a better shooter than Bradley.

But let's wait for the Washington-Toronto series to finish because Toronto still has a chance. If they do get swept or beaten in 5 or something then maybe they would make players available but Lowry and Derozan are all stars and I thought they really liked Valanciunas so I feel like it would take a lot to get those players. I don't think they would be rushing to trade the players on rookie deals either. But they have good players that would be good to trade for.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:05:01 PM by Forza Juventus »
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Lowry, Derozan & Jonas. All three  :)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why would anyone want Lowry?  Sure, he had a great postseasn LAST YEAR and had a good/great campaign this past season when he wasn't injured, but he's already 29, and if it really took almost a decade for him to develop into the player he is today, how much more can he grow, and who's to say that these past two years aren't just a fluke?  He's a really good player, sure, but he's just signed a big contract, and we're nowhere near the point where adding a player like him could put us over the top, so I say no.  Sorry, guys.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 10:23:02 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Why would anyone want Lowry?  Sure, he had a great postseasn LAST YEAR and had a good/great campaign this past season when he wasn't injured, but he's already 29, and if it really took almost a decade for him to develop into the player he is today, how much more can he grow, and who's to say that these past two years aren't just a fluke?  He's a really good player, sure, but he's just signed a big contract, and we're nowhere near the point where adding a player like him could put us over the top, so I say no.  Sorry, guys.
If hes not too expensive in terms of draft picks/ players I think hes worth adding. I mean like you said hes 29 but I doubt he breaks down over the next 3 years. Will he improve? Id be shocked but hes already a legit 18ppg 6-7 assist 5 board all star point gaurd for the last 2 seasons. You plug him in right away hes our best gaurd.

That lets us move AB or Thomas to recoup some of the value and cap space lost in the deal to acquire him.

Lowry Thomas  Smart is a very very good backcourt especially if Marcus expands his offensive game.

Id be curious what the cost would be. I mean if its KO and Clips pick, absolutely if we start talking Nets and Mavs picks probably not.

Derozan, psycho T, Valunciunas, Ross, Lowry are all worth taking fliers on but Id be careful not to sell the farm as none of them are real needle mover types.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I'd love to have Jonas, though he's young enough that they'd keep him around.

I think Lowry and Smart could form a pretty terrifying backcourt, and Lowry's contract is manageable given the cap explosion and his production. It'd also possibly help draw another star to the roster. Lowry for Wallace, KO/Sully, and a future pick maybe? A stretch four would work well with Jonas in the middle I think. We'd also be free to shop Bradley, too.

Perhaps we could then convince a Love or Jordan to come here. How far would this roster get in the East?

PG: Lowry, IT
SG: Smart, Bradley
SF: Turner, Crowder
PF: Sully/KO
C: DJ, Zeller

Well, I just noticed that Lowry slots into the Rondo TPE perfectly.

KO as the native son returning to Canada also fits nicely into a rebuilding narrative for Toronto. Add the #16 pick, and maybe a future pick?

The resulting logjam in the backcourt would need to be addressed.

Shop Bradley. He'd really be redundant with Lowry being a more physical, better-shooting, more well-rounded version of him. Lowry and Smart would probably be as good as AB/Smart defensively, while bringing more shooting and scoring.

Lowry is not a better shooter than Bradley.

But let's wait for the Washington-Toronto series to finish because Toronto still has a chance. If they do get swept or beaten in 5 or something then maybe they would make players available but Lowry and Derozan are all stars and I thought they really liked Valanciunas so I feel like it would take a lot to get those players. I don't think they would be rushing to trade the players on rookie deals either. But they have good players that would be good to trade for.

I guess you're right. I thought his percentages were better, though percentages don't necessarily mean he's not a better shooter.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 06:51:24 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don't think Ujiri will tear it down. He didn't do that with the Nuggets when it looked like they hit their ceiling. He just kept adding talent and trying to move forward. He has also made similar comments in the past with regards to rebuilding that strong suggest this is his believe system in roster building.

So I do not expect a fire sale. I think Toronto will look to add to their group and continue to move forward with their group.

Agreed, they have no insentive to go into a full rebuild. Their Core is young and under contract for the next season. If things go south maybe they move guys at the deadline to avoid paying but I cant see that.

What they will likely look to do this off-season is upgrade at the starting SF and PF. I can see Ross, #20 and their 2016 pick from NY all being in play to bring in a young vet starter.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Jonas  and possibly Caracole. I think Lou Williams would cost too much

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Well , for the cheap money and the effort , hustle , and team style ball Stevens likes .....Psycho T would fit the present core .

He is kind of guy you hate to see your team have to,play against .  But I,like his tuff ness. .....if he is on our side  ;D
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Lowry, Derozan & Jonas. All three  :)

Feels like we're  in the minority for liking Derozan. Think he'd walk onto this team as our best scorer.  At worst he would take pressure off IT maybe stop him from getting triple teamed. Possibly build something around Bradley/Olynyk/Pick(s).

Maybe try to get Patrick Patterson thrown in there for them to make room for Olynyk?
something like... http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mfkedxq 
You'd need to throw in one of your better picks of course but one's a high risk gamble and one's a known commodity, not a bad consolidation of assets if we could swing it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:26:40 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
DeRozan and the Brazilians. Say what you want about Demar, but none of our roster, none of them come close to him. Or would be an All star.

Seems like he is getting back into shape, that injury kinda killed his vibe. But a 20ppg player who can get to the FT line. Also getting better on the boards and assists since they traded gay. Good on defence, and can play some time at the 2/3. Can post up and has a good Mid-range game.

older article
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1910628-the-case-for-demar-derozan-to-make-2014-nba-all-star-game

more recent (jan 2015)
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/raptors-missing-derozans-impact-on-defence/

While the brazilians got size and some skill and upside. Worth a risk, also we drafted one of them loool I remember seeing him and his Afro, putting on that celtics cap like "yup, another Center, hopefully he ain't no fab melo". They they traded him to the hawks and traded up.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would go for DeRozan and Jonas and they would help us a lot.   I might even offer a few picks for them.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm fairly skeptical about a SG who is 27% career on threes.  I prefer Bradley.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I'm fairly skeptical about a SG who is 27% career on threes.  I prefer Bradley.

and under 40% from the feild

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jonas is the guy to target, but I think they are more likely to try and add and make another run.  Maybe they go after a guy like Brook Lopez to pair with Jonas.  That would be a very formidable front court. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip