Author Topic: We still need a starting PG and a big man  (Read 5170 times)

Re: We still need a starting PG and a big man
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wish Grant was a little taller and could play SF.  His old man, Harvey was 6'8".

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 01:24:52 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Isaiah may or may not be too small to be a starting PG for this team. That's yet to be tested. We still don't know. He plays larger than 5'9" or 5'10", and if his "playing size" is 6'0", well, plenty of good teams have 6'0" starting at PG. But hey, maybe he does just fall...short. Not really viable starting PG material. (Despite him doing a half-decent impression of one for Sacto.) Okay...

I still don't think any of the starting PG options available as draftees, free agents, or trade targets represent a large enough upgrade over settling for Isaiah to be worth the sacrifice in resources, which should all be focused first and foremost on trading up to draft, signing, or trading for a big man. The right star in the frontcourt could make Isaiah look like a Top 10 PG.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 01:49:09 AM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Why are people already giving up on Smart or IT in a coach Stevens run offense. Its obvious a traditional PG isn't as much a fit in how our offense works now and Smart seems perfect for it.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 02:27:38 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We play Turner as the PG on the SG spot and move Bradley so the court time he has gets distributed to IT, Turner and Smart. Problem solved.

We have a decent PG in Evan Turner who can create plays for himself and others, has solid court vision and can make timely passes when his teammates are open. We slot him in as the de facto SG, defending opposing SG's but playing the facilitator role in our offense, while Smart is the "PG" defending the other PG's but plays mostly as a 2.

As for a big man, all I can say is "YES".
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 04:35:02 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Smart at PG. Stevens wants movement not a ball dominant PG. We also got to see Smart can create and break a defense down when allowed by working pick and roll. Keep Smart at PG.

I think Young has to develop into a SG similar to what Middleton has been at the position. (Use his length to defend and score over guys).

Add in IT, Turner and AB and you complete the PG and SG rotation. That is a solid group.

Team needs a SF. Turner isn't a SF. Gigi is a tweener. Young too finesse for SF. Crowder isnt the answer at all either. Crowders okay on D but nothing special. Only thing he does really well at SF is rebound. Pure bench guy. I'm all for Vezekov at 28 maybe Oubre at 16 if he slips. (Also I assume C's make offers to Kawhi and Butler. You never know)

Team does need a Center. I'd love a push for Cousins but it's not likely.

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 07:22:44 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
For some reason my gut is telling me to stay away from Jerian Grant. He hasn't impressed me, but then again I only saw him play in two games.
What I did notice was that all of his points came around the basket where he bullied his way inside due to his size. I'm not sure that he will be able to do the same in the NBA (Smart was also good at driving to the basket in college, but hasn't really shown the same ability in the NBA). Besides that I also noticed that he forces a lot of his shots, and he is a terrible rebounder considering his size.
I would stay away from him, but then again that's only my opinion.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 07:30:20 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
PG position has to be considered after you are set at the SF, PF and C.
To give an example, imagine you manage to get Love and Middleton and an offensive threat at the C. In that case the floor is spread and you need a PG that can penetrate in the paint. And for that example we are lucky to get one of best at this job : IT will have a boulevard in the paint.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'll say this. We can stand to improve at every position so any upgrade Danny can bring in will make this team better. We have a lot of decent - good players, now we need to get some very good players or hope someone turns into that. Beginning to believe Smart can be very good he's the only one so far that I would say that about.

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We need to pick the best player available because whoever that is probably has the best chance of becoming an All Star.

We need to get Smart a wing man that can attack the paint and score.
Delon Wright looks good, Kris Dunn, Payne, Tyus Jones.
I want a PG with size that can shoot (not too greedy am I?).

Caris Levert is going back to school so I'd take Wright then Dunn, Payne, Jones as guards.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
We need to pick the best player available because whoever that is probably has the best chance of becoming an All Star.

We need to get Smart a wing man that can attack the paint and score.
Delon Wright looks good, Kris Dunn, Payne, Tyus Jones.
I want a PG with size that can shoot (not too greedy am I?).

Caris Levert is going back to school so I'd take Wright then Dunn, Payne, Jones as guards.
Kris Dunn is also returning to school ;D!
Jeff Goodman: Kris Dunn is returning to Providence, sources confirmed to ESPN. School will announce this afternoon. Twitter @GoodmanESPN

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We're certainly not perfectly set at PG, but we need a center in the worst way. i would also look for some athletic help at power forward, and a solid scorer at SF.

You can generally find a decent PG at the trading deadline or as the season progresses.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why stop there, lol? ;D We really need an upgrade at every spot, but more importantly, what we really need is a star, imo, regardless of position.

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 02:56:43 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Why stop there, lol? ;D We really need an upgrade at every spot, but more importantly, what we really need is a star, imo, regardless of position.

Over and out.

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 03:24:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
PG position has to be considered after you are set at the SF, PF and C.
To give an example, imagine you manage to get Love and Middleton and an offensive threat at the C. In that case the floor is spread and you need a PG that can penetrate in the paint. And for that example we are lucky to get one of best at this job : IT will have a boulevard in the paint.

And SG.

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
What we really need is a defensive center who can guard the rim and REBOUND. It hurts me to see Tristan Thompson kill us that much on the boards.