Author Topic: The Nuggets offseason and how it could effect the celtics (speculation)  (Read 5152 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
With one eye on the playoffs and the other on the draft and off-season I wanted to point out that the changes in denver could effect the Cs. 

They have Faired and Lawson tied up long term and will lack any real cap room this off-season. They do hold a nice colection of trade exeptions, #7 + #37 picks, a future 1st from memphis and the right to swap 2016 1st with NYK.

Coming off a terrible season in a stacked conference and looking for a coach I think they are primed for an all out rebuild. This may give the Cs an opportunity to cash in some assets to improve their roster.

As for building block young players I think its safe to say Nurkic is their center and everything else is up in the air. Harris may prove to be a nice 3rd guard and is only 20. Aside from that their under 25 players are lacking. Faried is only 25 but media reports came out that management felt pressure to sign him long term when they really didnt love the idea.

I could realistically see them trading Lawson, Faired, Chandler and Galinari in a total rebuild move. The first two (lawson and faired) where rumored to be available at the deadline. Lawson was rumored to be available for 2 1st round picks at deadline with the Cs along with Utah and Sac being mentioned (pre IT4 trade). Faired had a list of suiters with no real deal leaked and Chanlder had interest from OKC.

What I could see happening (total speculation)

Lawson + #37  to Sac for #6 +filler
       Sac gets the point guard they desperately need

Faried + Chandler to the Cs for TPE + #16 + Sully + Turner (or swap Chandler for Galinari and Turner for Wallace)
       The price may seem steep for the Cs but this is a clear upgrade at the PF and SF. Sully is a great talent but as a long term player he scares me. The 16th pick will be a wait and see who falls pick where the likely BPA will be a PG or PF. The Cs are set at PG and Faried is better then the PF available. It also helps that his long term contract will actually be a solid deal after the cap jumps. This trade still leaves the Cs with #28, #33 and #45 this year and 3 firsts next season. DA will have the luxury of using those picks on high upside talent as his rotation will be set.

Post trade fall out

Sac top 5

PG Lawson
SG McLemore
SF Gay
PF Thompson ?
C  Cousins

Denver

using DX to project who they get at #6,#7 and #16. I could see them going Euro heavy with Hezonja and Porzingis and then PG at #16 with either Grant or Tyus Jones

Nuggets young core

PG Grant/Jones
SG Harris
SF Hezonja
PF Porzingis/Sully
C Nurkic

They would also have Gallinari, Foye, Hickson and Turner to play significant role/ build trade value with in 2015-2016

Cs Rotation

They add scoring and size at the SF and athleticism and rebounding to the PF. I would expect Ko to expand his role and actually play more minutes then Zeller despite coming off the bench or he very well could start with Zeller as the 3rd big. This team will be very competitive and a playoff team. While still having alot of assets and cap room thanks to the cap jumping.

PG Smart
SG AB
SF Chandler
PF Faried
C  Zeller
6th IT4
7th KO
8th Crowder (resigned)

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I like your thinking...pretty realistic...it's a couple of steps in the right direction...maybe end around 48 wins.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wont happen. Especially the return the Celts get

Faried cannot spread the floor and would be a pf coming off the bench for CBS. Why not sign Davis (cheaper alternative) instead?

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If you google Faried not well liked in the Nuggets organization that kind of scares me off.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think you've done a good job on the Nuggets side and the Lawson deal makes sense as Karl wants him, but I'm not sold on the Celtics piece. Paying more for Faried for insurance and D vs Sully and then the 16th for a below average SF in Wilson Chandler who has no D.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Wont happen. Especially the return the Celts get

Faried cannot spread the floor and would be a pf coming off the bench for CBS. Why not sign Davis (cheaper alternative) instead?

I think BS would be able to figure things out with Faried on offense. Looking at Shot Charts Faireds is very similar to Splitter for the Spurs with Faired having more range. Pop has been able to play Splitter around 20-24mpg while still maintaining spacing. I dont think its a stretch for BS to expand this to 32mpg for Faried. While on the Court with KO he would be the only non-space creator, playing more of a pick and rim dive/offensive rebound role. Zeller is showing some range to his game and with only 62 attempts compared to duncans 175 is actually a better % mid rang shooter. 50% vs 39.4%. While Faried will have limitation that need to be worked around on offense he will be a perfect fit on D. 

The reasoning behind Faried over Davis is talent consolidation. Yes Davis has a similar skill set to Faried but he is not at the same level.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If you google Faried not well liked in the Nuggets organization that kind of scares me off.

just my opinion, that doesn't mean much to me considering this organization fired George Karl after winning coach of the year and I believe that was without Carmelo. I honestly think that organization is a mess.

As for spacing the floor, Bass doesn't space the floor much either beside his jumpers. We get younger at the PF position and more athletic. Doesn't really hurt. If we can sign an ace shooter to come off the bench or have a solid starting SF, I think we should be set for next year

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I think you've done a good job on the Nuggets side and the Lawson deal makes sense as Karl wants him, but I'm not sold on the Celtics piece. Paying more for Faried for insurance and D vs Sully and then the 16th for a below average SF in Wilson Chandler who has no D.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/11/20/5124280/the-return-of-wilson-chandler

Above is an article from 2013 about Chandler with Quotes from Karl, seems like a perfect SF for the Cs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I have no interest in Faried (limited skill-set) or Gallinari (health, injuries).

I am interested in Ty Lawson though. I think Boston could make an interesting trade offer based around their two first round picks and cap filler. Or maybe Isaiah Thomas + the early first round pick. Then move Smart to SG alongside Ty Lawson at PG.

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Our 2 firsts to Denver for Lawson
Lawson+Olynyk for #6 to Sacramento

Re: The Nuggets offseason and how it could effect the celtics (speculation)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Nice... 5 starting players with no outside shooting..... no thank you...
bradley smart stanley johson love and koufos a much better version
trade sully and pick for johnson love and koufos in f.a.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I have no interest in Faried (limited skill-set) or Gallinari (health, injuries).

I am interested in Ty Lawson though. I think Boston could make an interesting trade offer based around their two first round picks and cap filler. Or maybe Isaiah Thomas + the early first round pick. Then move Smart to SG alongside Ty Lawson at PG.

Gallinari is the ONE that we need and can afford precisely DUE to his HEALTH and INJURIES.  I would love to see a 6' 10" SF on this team!!!  And one that can flat generate his own OFFENSE!!  He is a career 37% shooter from long range and a career 85% FT shooter.  The reason he has a low (42%) FG percentage is because of all the threes he typically takes.  Granted, he is NOT a great rebounder, but he had the 16th best plus/minus for SF's and that is him just coming back from injury and ONLY playing 24.2 minutes per games.  And his has NEVER played for a REAL coach like Brad Stevens.  He played for Mike D'Antoni in NY for goodness sakes!!!

Get him NOW Danny!!  Gallinari is ONLY owed $11.6 million next year and is then a FA!!  We could trade a first rounder and absorb him with our 12.9 million TPE.

Thoughts??

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Doesn't scare me off. Would love to have Faried. Would be a huge upgrade at the PF to what we have now.

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I totally agree with Who.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Faried is a guy I would have totally loved to give to Rondo.

But without Rondo, simply meh.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale