Author Topic: Sneaky FA Target -Tyson Chandler  (Read 8917 times)

Re: Sneaky FA Target -Tyson Chandler
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think he is too old. By the time Ainge puts enough pieces around him to truly compete for a title, it'll be darn near time to replace Tyson.

I prefer Greg Monroe.

I'm on board with Monroe if they are willing to really retool the rest of the frontcourt to work with him.  But is that reasonable for a guy like Monroe?  And does he really fit Stevens's system? Monroe is a nice player but is he the kind of guy you accommodate because of his talent?

Cb8883, you're trying too hard.

Not trying anything but let me ask you something. Honestly, does Tyson Chandler make the Boston Celtics contenders? I mean sure they probably win the Atlantic with him and another FA signing but they'll never win the title. If they build through the draft then they could become elite in a few years. Trade up for Okafor instead.
To use your terminology, Al Jefferson 2.0 is not going to make us elite.

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 01:18:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think he is too old. By the time Ainge puts enough pieces around him to truly compete for a title, it'll be darn near time to replace Tyson.

I prefer Greg Monroe.

I'm on board with Monroe if they are willing to really retool the rest of the frontcourt to work with him.  But is that reasonable for a guy like Monroe?  And does he really fit Stevens's system? Monroe is a nice player but is he the kind of guy you accommodate because of his talent?

Not trying anything but let me ask you something. Honestly, does Tyson Chandler make the Boston Celtics contenders? I mean sure they probably win the Atlantic with him and another FA signing but they'll never win the title. If they build through the draft then they could become elite in a few years. Trade up for Okafor instead.
Does Middleton and Chandler along with the resigning of Jae Crowder and the assumption that Ainge gets something decent with his 3 top 35 picks and his 13 mil and 8 mil trade exceptions make us division champs? I think so

Keep in  mind thats without using any Nets picks, the Mavs or Grizzlies picks, or even factoring in any improvement from James Young and wed still have  alot of cap to go with it.

Smart(21) IT4(26)
Bradley(24) Young(19) Turner(26)
Middleton(23) Crowder(24)
KO(24) Sully(23)
Chandler(32) Zeller(25)

2 2015 1s
3 2016 1s
TE's of 7 and 13 mil
significant cap space

thats not so bad
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 01:31:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I prefer Greg Monroe.

Does Middleton and Chandler along with the resigning of Jae Crowder and the assumption that Ainge gets something decent with his 3 top 35 picks and his 13 mil and 8 mil trade exceptions make us division champs? I think so

Keep in  mind thats without using any Nets picks, the Mavs or Grizzlies picks, or even factoring in any improvement from James Young and wed still have  alot of cap to go with it.

Smart(21) IT4(26)
KO(24) Sully(23)
Chandler(32) Zeller(25)

2 2015 1s
3 2016 1s
TE's of 7 and 13 mil
significant cap space

thats not so bad

I don't believe Ainge can have both cap space and the TPEs. The TPEs count against the cap.

I think Ainge carries the cap holds on all pending FAs, the TPEs, and the MLE, instead of ditching all of them for cap space.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 01:31:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You're operating on the premise that trading up for Okafor is going to be possible?  Because I don't think it will be.
Yeah not unless we move up to 4th/5th or something and a team is in love with a guy they know will be there at 4/5. (OJ Mayo/Kevin Love situation)

That'd require two trades and that's pretty outlandish to all come together.

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

I prefer Greg Monroe.

Smart(21) IT4(26)
KO(24) Sully(23)
Chandler(32) Zeller(25)

2 2015 1s
3 2016 1s
TE's of 7 and 13 mil
significant cap space

thats not so bad

I don't believe Ainge can have both cap space and the TPEs. The TPEs count against the cap.

I think Ainge carries the cap holds on all pending FAs, the TPEs, and the MLE, instead of ditching all of them for cap space.
You are definitely right that you cant use any exceptions while under the cap, but is it possible to use the exceptions early in the offseason, then renounce the cap holds etc to get below it???

I honestly am not sure but I thought you could do that.

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
^ You mean something like:

1. July 15: Use the TPEs to acquire players/free agents in trade
2. July 30: Renounce MLE, and the rights to Bass and Jerebko to open up cap room

I think that's possible. But the resultant gains would be small, I think. I'm not even sure that step 2 would open up much more than the MLE in cap space. Haven't done the math, just a quick guess.

[I'm assuming that Ainge is sending out little or no salary in step 1.]

Edit: the TPEs are $12.9 mil (Rondo) and $7.7 mil (Prince). So, that's nearly $21 mil against next summer's payroll.

Add the MLE of $5.5 mil (?) and that basically puts Boston at the salary cap for next year, even before renouncing rights to UFAs, or factoring in QOs and incoming rookie salaries.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:48:31 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

I prefer Greg Monroe.

I don't see anyone in this Draft that's going to win us a title either. So why not try to improve one step at a time while we can.

I also don't think anyone has suggested that he'll be the piece to push us over the top, but obviously he can be a BIG help on a team. If we get Love somehow I think Chandler would be a great fit next to him.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:13:41 PM by JohnBoy65 »

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yes, he's turning 33. However, this season he averaged 10.3 PPG, 11.5 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 30 MPG, 66% FG, and 72% FT, while providing his usual toughness and interior defense.

We could give him a 3 year deal and he would instantly provide that rim protector we so desperately lack. His minutes would go down, which would be a good thing given his age, with Zeller still on the team and forming a nice 1-2 in the middle. The new CBA would mean that the first year deal is being paid at market value, but the following two would probably be considered a team friendly deal, even with a slight and expected decrease in production/ability as he ages.

This summer has a pretty solid FA agent class (Jordan, Lopez brothers, M. Gasol, Kanter, Monroe, etc.), which is a good thing because the position, especially with the limited amount of teams with cap space, wouldn't mean an overpay. In fact, the only other team that could probably have interest in Chandler, given their current state and cap situation, is Dallas. Which brings me to my next point.

Since we have Dallas' 1st rd pick next season, going hard after Chandler could be extremely beneficial from that standpoint. We could either cause the Mavs to overpay, which would then limit Dallas' ability to improve via free agency, or have a huge hole at center heading into the season. Both would only help the odds of that pick becoming a lottery selection.

TP, Very good idea; I love the angle about making them weaker in the process.  Is he UFA??

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Yes, he's turning 33. However, this season he averaged 10.3 PPG, 11.5 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 30 MPG, 66% FG, and 72% FT, while providing his usual toughness and interior defense.

We could give him a 3 year deal and he would instantly provide that rim protector we so desperately lack. His minutes would go down, which would be a good thing given his age, with Zeller still on the team and forming a nice 1-2 in the middle. The new CBA would mean that the first year deal is being paid at market value, but the following two would probably be considered a team friendly deal, even with a slight and expected decrease in production/ability as he ages.

This summer has a pretty solid FA agent class (Jordan, Lopez brothers, M. Gasol, Kanter, Monroe, etc.), which is a good thing because the position, especially with the limited amount of teams with cap space, wouldn't mean an overpay. In fact, the only other team that could probably have interest in Chandler, given their current state and cap situation, is Dallas. Which brings me to my next point.

Since we have Dallas' 1st rd pick next season, going hard after Chandler could be extremely beneficial from that standpoint. We could either cause the Mavs to overpay, which would then limit Dallas' ability to improve via free agency, or have a huge hole at center heading into the season. Both would only help the odds of that pick becoming a lottery selection.

TP, Very good idea; I love the angle about making them weaker in the process.  Is he UFA??

Thanks. He's turning 33 in October, but his numbers speak for themselves. It's hard to imagine that he'll fall of a cliff given the greater understanding of nutrition, recovery, and weight training of today. That's why you see players such as Duncan (38), KG (38), Pierce (37), Pau (35), Dirk (37), etc. play effectively in their mid to late 30s.

Yeah, he's an UFA.

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 04:09:55 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I was wondering why noone came up with Chandler earlier. His age is a concern but I think he can play at a high level for at least 3 years. If the price is right I would love to have him. Btw I dont think Chandler owns any loyality to Dallas after they let him go after their championship. I am sure he likes playing with Dirk, but Dirk will be gone after the next season. In addition, there is no way Dallas will compete next year, they gona face a rough offseason. Further more, I could see Tyson beeing enticed by the idea of joining a young hard playing team instead of beeing kind of the only one who brings toughnes to the Team (like in NY and Dal). I also disagree, that the players we acquire have to be young. We already have a lot of young players and tons of draftpicks which will bring in more young players, no problem to have some old vets around, as long as they make the team better, and tyson chandler will do that for sure.

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Why in the world would Chandler sign here?

I could see him signing in LA, especially the Clips if somebody makes Deandre a grotesque offer.
The Clips will pay the luxury tax to win.I don't see Jordan going anywhere.
Chandler is not coming to Boston unless in a trade. We need to move up to 7 with Denver and get WCS. Denver will trade with us they are rebuilding. If we cannot get WCS. Myles Turner should be our next target.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Although I think a post option can theoretically fit into Stevens' pace-and-space system, you'd need a guy who can also perform other roles in the offense, and who can get into position and get a decent low post shot off without eating up a bunch of the clock.  I may be selling Monroe short here, but he doesn't strike me as that kind of  player.

A post option fits into Stevens' system if he is a guy who can pass out of the post.  A black hole in the post who never gives up the ball would be a bad fit.  Pounding the ball inside and trying to score from there is just bad basketball.

Monroe is a good passer.  It seems like he would be good enough to draw a double team and pass the ball to an open Avery Bradley for three.  That's what Stevens would be looking for instead of a decent low post shot early in the clock.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't know.  After watching Chandler get completely owned by Roy Hibbert and Dwight Howard in the playoffs in two of the last three seasons, I'm not sure Chandler is what he once was.  He can still outplay many of the average to bad centers, but any of the top tier centers seem to have their way with him these days.

I don' think he will be worth the price tag he will command, particularly as his athleticism continues to wane.  Seems like nothing more than a stop-gap singing, at best.

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i would be concerned with age
there is really no point bringing chandler in to win a bunch of games
but still not become a contender

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I prefer Greg Monroe.

What kind of team would accept what he have to offer for Okafor instead of trading him elsewhere if they don't need a young big? Philly doesn't need another young big, but do we have anything they want? Smart perhaps? It remains to be seen who will be where so it is hard to tell. Some of the NJ picks will have major value, but Lopez could always have a healthy season and Deron is showing a pulse once again.