Author Topic: Sneaky FA Target -Tyson Chandler  (Read 8915 times)

Re: Sneaky FA Target -Tyson Chandler
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Yes, he's turning 33. However, this season he averaged 10.3 PPG, 11.5 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 30 MPG, 66% FG, and 72% FT, while providing his usual toughness and interior defense.

We could give him a 3 year deal and he would instantly provide that rim protector we so desperately lack. His minutes would go down, which would be a good thing given his age, with Zeller still on the team and forming a nice 1-2 in the middle. The new CBA would mean that the first year deal is being paid at market value, but the following two would probably be considered a team friendly deal, even with a slight and expected decrease in production/ability as he ages.

This summer has a pretty solid FA agent class (Jordan, Lopez brothers, M. Gasol, Kanter, Monroe, etc.), which is a good thing because the position, especially with the limited amount of teams with cap space, wouldn't mean an overpay. In fact, the only other team that could probably have interest in Chandler, given their current state and cap situation, is Dallas. Which brings me to my next point.

Since we have Dallas' 1st rd pick next season, going hard after Chandler could be extremely beneficial from that standpoint. We could either cause the Mavs to overpay, which would then limit Dallas' ability to improve via free agency, or have a huge hole at center heading into the season. Both would only help the odds of that pick becoming a lottery selection.
TP.  I'm sold.  Chandler helps our biggest weakness.  He's still a top tier defensive big.  It would hurt the Mavs significantly to lose him.

Me too, however if he is leaving Dallas I doubt he would be coming here.   He would go to a true championship contender.  I hope Ellis and Rondo leave.  Maybe Dirk retires. ;D  Dallas can't be too bad as the pick is top 7 protected.  Lol

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why in the world would Chandler sign here?

I could see him signing in LA, especially the Clips if somebody makes Deandre a grotesque offer.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
This doesn't help the goal of tanking. I hope they pass,.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think he is too old. By the time Ainge puts enough pieces around him to truly compete for a title, it'll be darn near time to replace Tyson.

I prefer Greg Monroe.

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think he is too old. By the time Ainge puts enough pieces around him to truly compete for a title, it'll be darn near time to replace Tyson.

I prefer Greg Monroe.

I'm on board with Monroe if they are willing to really retool the rest of the frontcourt to work with him.  But is that reasonable for a guy like Monroe?  And does he really fit Stevens's system? Monroe is a nice player but is he the kind of guy you accommodate because of his talent?

Cb8883, you're trying too hard.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 09:05:09 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
You forgot to mention Chandler is 33, and will be looking for another playoff contender.

1st sentence

Lol. ;D Anyway, how about making KJ McDaniels our sneaky fa target?

Totally agree!!!!  I truly believe that KJ is one of the BEST athletes in the NBA!!  I also believe that as he matures, he can and likely will become a SF rather than a SG.  He can develop his outside shot over time.

Get him Danny!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Can we stop looking for old dudes? Thanks.

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Can we stop looking for old dudes? Thanks.

Thus the discussion of KJ McDaniels:-)))

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

I prefer Greg Monroe.

I'm on board with Monroe if they are willing to really retool the rest of the frontcourt to work with him.  But is that reasonable for a guy like Monroe?  And does he really fit Stevens's system? Monroe is a nice player but is he the kind of guy you accommodate because of his talent?

Not trying anything but let me ask you something. Honestly, does Tyson Chandler make the Boston Celtics contenders? I mean sure they probably win the Atlantic with him and another FA signing but they'll never win the title. If they build through the draft then they could become elite in a few years. Trade up for Okafor instead.

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I concur he is too old, and by the time we are contending, he will be done.

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I concur he is too old, and by the time we are contending, he will be done.

Yup.

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I prefer Greg Monroe.

I don't think the Celtics need to change anything immediately. I think Monroe fits in well with this group as an undersized offensive orientated center. Monroe has improved his defense at both PF and C positions this past season. He only needs to become an average defender at C to play there full time in the future. That is an achievable goal for him.

I would sign him and wait to see how he develops. If he continues to improve his defense, I am happy to build a team around a skilled offensive center with average defense & good rebounding. If he does, the team can always move him on at a later date. Monroe will have good trade value given his skill-set and pre-CBA cap boom salary.

I think Monroe is a good fit for Stevens system. He is a very good passer and a smart player. He plays with good quickness in transition and in the halfcourt. He gives the team a true low-post option. Basically everything Tyler Zeller does plus shot-creation, improved passing and superior rebounding. 

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I prefer Greg Monroe.

Not trying anything but let me ask you something. Honestly, does Tyson Chandler make the Boston Celtics contenders? I mean sure they probably win the Atlantic with him and another FA signing but they'll never win the title. If they build through the draft then they could become elite in a few years. Trade up for Okafor instead.

I don't think Ainge can trade up far enough to get Okafor.

I think he has a good shot at the 5-9 range but probably not the top 4. Certainly not top 2 where Okafor will surely be going.

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I prefer Greg Monroe.

You're operating on the premise that trading up for Okafor is going to be possible?  Because I don't think it will be.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think Monroe is a good fit for Stevens system. He is a very good passer and a smart player. He plays with good quickness in transition and in the halfcourt. He gives the team a true low-post option. Basically everything Tyler Zeller does plus shot-creation, improved passing and superior rebounding.

While I would like to see the Celtics acquire a true low post option, I'm not sure I agree about Monroe's fit as that sort of option.

The biggest difference between Monroe and Zeller is that Tyler at least has the threat of a jumper from beyond 10 feet.  Monroe has never shown an ability to reliably hit a shot from outside of the paint.  Zeller can also move very quickly for a seven footer; few guys his size can slice down the lane and finish as he does. 

That means Zeller can be a cog in the team's ball movement, setting picks and catching the ball near the three point line, and still present the threat of knifing down an open lane to the basket, catching, and finishing the moment there's an opportunity.

Although I think a post option can theoretically fit into Stevens' pace-and-space system, you'd need a guy who can also perform other roles in the offense, and who can get into position and get a decent low post shot off without eating up a bunch of the clock.  I may be selling Monroe short here, but he doesn't strike me as that kind of  player.

If Monroe had a reliable free throw line / elbow jumper, he could operate out of the high post without killing spacing too badly.  He'd need to improve his shot a lot, though.
- Mark Twain