Author Topic: Rondo out indefinitely  (Read 30967 times)

Re: Rondo out indefinitely
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I had a Rondo thought and didn't think it deserved its own thread.  I think a potentially very good option for him at this point might be Europe. Although they might expect him to be able to shoot there.
It might be better for him to be a starter there for a year or two at close to the MLE than to do be a backup here for the MLE.  Possibly grow his brand and put himself in line for a Euro pension as well as an NBA one.

I just think he needs to be thinking that way at this point.

Rondo will land a starting gig, and for more than the MLE. 

Even accepting your premise, though, how many guys have gotten a larger future NBA contract by playing in Europe for a couple of years?
I admit it's a weak premise and would probably be a worst case scenario or a situation where he is trying to avoid being a backup.  I think Josh Childress made more going there than he was going to make here. European players sometimes go back there and you have to take taxes into account. There was some joking around at some point with Bron and I think Kobe that if they could land huge contracts in Russia they'd do it. Gerald Green saved his career going there. Fran Vazquez never came here and has one of the biggest contracts there I think.

« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I had a Rondo thought and didn't think it deserved its own thread.  I think a potentially very good option for him at this point might be Europe. Although they might expect him to be able to shoot there.
It might be better for him to be a starter there for a year or two at close to the MLE than to do be a backup here for the MLE.  Possibly grow his brand and put himself in line for a Euro pension as well as an NBA one.

I think you will be amazed at just how much Rondo gets in FA this summer. I can't imagine it will be any less than $12M/yr, but think it is likely to be in the $15-16M/yr range.

There is almost no way a team who signs him this summer is planning to use him as a back-up. He may not have ended the year stellarly, but a gm who plans to use him the correct way will definitely be wooed by Rondo's unorthodox skills and triple double ability.

The only way that happens is if Lakers ownership makes a colossally stupid move, which is quite possible, of course.  ;)  I'm not sure there will be any other offers beyond the MLE, if that.  Given the decline in his play, injury history, horrible attitude and penchant for insubordination, he's nearly played himself out of the league. 

« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Rondo will land a starting gig, and for more than the MLE. 

Even accepting your premise, though, how many guys have gotten a larger future NBA contract by playing in Europe for a couple of years?

Brandon Jennings for 1 year?  (joking, he's obviously nothing like that Rondo scenario because he didn't play in the NBA before going to Europe)
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale