Author Topic: NBA Officiating... Human error or hidden agenda?  (Read 10933 times)

Re: NBA Officiating... Human error or hidden agenda?
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
That Camby foul on Nash was really strange. Probably the weirdest play that I have ever seen. I don't really understand how the other refs wouldn't step in in that situation. I am also assuming it was pre-replay. That can't happen in an NBA game.

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
What is the valid reason? Too many turnovers, too many off. rebounds by opposition? With reasons like that you'd think it would've been a lopsided victory.... but guess what?... It wasn't.
... therefore, it must have been the officiating?!  ::) ::) ::)

No, it wasn't the officiating... it was the acceptance of the officiating.

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 05:19:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That Camby foul on Nash was really strange. Probably the weirdest play that I have ever seen. I don't really understand how the other refs wouldn't step in in that situation. I am also assuming it was pre-replay. That can't happen in an NBA game.

Yeah that was bizarre.  I guess there was some contact on the screen but it seemed like Roy if anyone would've gotten the call for gripping on Hill, but Nash was obviously nowhere near the play.  Camby basically just clipped shoulders with Hill on a legal screen.

The call is one thing but I have no idea how Crawford concluded Nash should be shooting.  Off-ball fouls in that situation should be shots by the guy who was fouled.

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
People say this way too much, but I am almost tempted to look into the totals and betting lines for that game. Giving a 90% free throw shooter two free throws on a play where he was not involved seems like the biggest way you could impact a game on a single call. It is also really weird that the other two refs were not like "hey joey, if you saw contact is has to be Roy, they were ten feet apart." It really seems like funny business on that particular play. A lot of the other stuff seems like incompetence or human error, that Camby call seems more nefarious.

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
The officiating can alter the course of games in two scenarios: when a team is on a run and when a team can't seem to score.

That phantom foul on Bradley took the momentum out of our guys, they were down by 4, it was 87 to 91.

The last time the Cavaliers scored before the Irving free throws?

Roughly 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Between that time lapse there were 2 turnovers and two missed field goals by the Cavaliers... they were breaking..

During the Irving FTs, Tristan Thompson was checked in for Mozgov and Stevens took out Sullinger and Turner(The only guys that were grabbing boards BTW) for Crowder and Zeller.. and you know the rest of the story here... Tristan Thompson grabbed all of LeBron's misses for him.

Stevens took Turner out after a bad shot coming right after the terrible call. Turner has then reported to not agree with the call on Bradley. One thing is just leading to another here... hmm?  ???

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
People say this way too much, but I am almost tempted to look into the totals and betting lines for that game. Giving a 90% free throw shooter two free throws on a play where he was not involved seems like the biggest way you could impact a game on a single call. It is also really weird that the other two refs were not like "hey joey, if you saw contact is has to be Roy, they were ten feet apart." It really seems like funny business on that particular play. A lot of the other stuff seems like incompetence or human error, that Camby call seems more nefarious.

I feel the opposite to be honest - if a ref was legitimately looking to shave points or rig a game, he would have a lot better ways to go about it than a completely bizarre call like that. 

You don't go making completely unjustifiable calls when you're doing something shady - that just draws attention to what you're doing.  Doubly so in the era where everything you're doing is permanently recorded.  Instead you just call the run-of-the-mill contact that happens every play and call one team for it more than the other. 

That's pretty much how Donaghey messed with the over-under, except he either called it both ways and was stricter or more lenient depending on which side he was trying to hit.  If you want to give Steve Nash FTs, just call it when a guy lays a hand on him on a drive, or when he gets bumped on a screen.  Don't call a foul on a guy 10 feet away and hope nobody notices.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:22:09 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I feel the opposite to be honest - if a ref was legitimately looking to shave points or rig a game, he would have a lot better ways to go about it than a completely bizarre call like that. 

You don't go making completely unjustifiable calls when you're doing something shady - that just draws attention to what you're doing.  Doubly so in the era where everything you're doing is permanently recorded.  Instead you just call the run-of-the-mill contact that happens every play and call one team for it more than the other. 

That's pretty much how Donaghey messed with the over-under, except he either called it both ways and was stricter or more lenient depending on which side he was trying to hit.  If you want to give Steve Nash FTs, just call it when a guy lays a hand on him on a drive, or when he gets bumped on a screen.  Don't call a foul on a guy 10 feet away and hope nobody notices.

I agree with all of this actually, to the point that my first post now seems a little silly. I am just so confused figuring out what Crawford was trying to do there though I don't have an explanation.

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
My guess is he "guessed" on the foul and called something that shouldn't have been called, then, perhaps thinking it over on the way, had a brain fart and confused the guy with the ball with the guy who was fouled.  And because he's Joey Crawford, refused to seek out a second opinion or apologize in any way.

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 12:17:12 AM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
well both ... lol  agenda, and error ... ha ha... a perfect storm ...   

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 12:29:52 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I will never forget when Kobe flat-out elbowed Mike Bibby in the nose before stealing a pass in the 2002 WCF. Bibby was literally bleeding on the floor, and nothing was called in the pivotal moment of the game. The Sacramento Kings are the deserving 2002 NBA champions.

That, and the free throws by the Lakers. That was pretty blatant fixing by a league that probably thought "well Chris Webber will carry them forever anyways; let's give Kobe and Shaq one." Unfortunately, real life gets in the way and teams get screwed.

That was really one of the most blatantly fixed series ever.

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 01:25:34 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I will never forget when Kobe flat-out elbowed Mike Bibby in the nose before stealing a pass in the 2002 WCF. Bibby was literally bleeding on the floor, and nothing was called in the pivotal moment of the game. The Sacramento Kings are the deserving 2002 NBA champions.

That, and the free throws by the Lakers. That was pretty blatant fixing by a league that probably thought "well Chris Webber will carry them forever anyways; let's give Kobe and Shaq one." Unfortunately, real life gets in the way and teams get screwed.

That was really one of the most blatantly fixed series ever.

No question. I didn't watch the NBA for a year after that.

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2015, 02:04:39 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

It was (sort of) worse than that.  It was the Lakers' ball, not a steal, but a foul actually was called...on Bibby.