Author Topic: NBA Officiating... Human error or hidden agenda?  (Read 10966 times)

Re: NBA Officiating... Human error or hidden agenda?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
To those making arguments that we would've lost regardless, not enough talent blah blah.... Look, we lost because of many reasons... but looking at a scoreboard where we only lost by 8... I can only think that the deciding factor was the officiating...

No, there are plenty of other things you could think.  This is just the easiest excuse.

Here's a good link to a Vine video of the Bradley "foul" on Irving's corner shot.

This was an absurd call. As someone points out in the comments on that link, it looks like the official, Bennett Salvatore, is looking up to see if there's contact on the arm on the shot, which there wasn't, but then he notices Irving on the floor and calls a body foul. In other words, it seems like he assumed there must have been a foul, since Irving fell. Not good officiating.
The call is for contact on the arm on the follow-through. It was pretty obvious on the in-game replay from the opposite end of the floor. This will be a foul every time.

Salvatore, by the way, is one of the better officials in the league.

Bradley appears to me to clip Irving's hand and possibly a bit of his wrist/forearm on the follow-through.  He also definitely bumps their right legs together on the way down - Kyrie puts the foot out a little, but in a natural fallaway shooting motion, not a Reggie Miller way. 

I understand why Bradley's frustrated as he guarded Irving well and forced him into a very tough shot, and the contact was pretty mild, but it was contact.

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
To those making arguments that we would've lost regardless, not enough talent blah blah.... Look, we lost because of many reasons... but looking at a scoreboard where we only lost by 8... I can only think that the deciding factor was the officiating...

No, there are plenty of other things you could think.  This is just the easiest excuse.

Here's a good link to a Vine video of the Bradley "foul" on Irving's corner shot.

This was an absurd call. As someone points out in the comments on that link, it looks like the official, Bennett Salvatore, is looking up to see if there's contact on the arm on the shot, which there wasn't, but then he notices Irving on the floor and calls a body foul. In other words, it seems like he assumed there must have been a foul, since Irving fell. Not good officiating.
The call is for contact on the arm on the follow-through. It was pretty obvious on the in-game replay from the opposite end of the floor. This will be a foul every time.

Bradley appears to me to clip Irving's hand and possibly a bit of his wrist/forearm on the follow-through.  He also definitely bumps their right legs together on the way down - Kyrie puts the foot out a little, but in a natural fallaway shooting motion, not a Reggie Miller way. 

I understand why Bradley's frustrated as he guarded Irving well and forced him into a very tough shot, and the contact was pretty mild, but it was contact.

I looked for contact on the arm/wrist area but couldn't see any. And Irving was already falling before Avery's slight, incidental leg contact. Ah well. Spilled milk and all.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This will all be forgotten by the time second round begins.

I've said before, I'll say it again.  Find ways to follow the NBA free.  You probably mostly do anyways through your fantasy team. 

Stop ordering League Pass, all the games can be streamed online if you look hard enough.  Also stop paying $100+ a month for cable, do you really need to watch ESPN that badly?  No, just as easy to chromecast and all your wife's shows are on Netflix anyways. 

If you don't like what you see, show them what their entertainment is worth to you.

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
There is always more human error in basketball that we see because of the replays.  I think the CAVS advancing is a better story for the league than us, you can go where you want with that assertion.

I understand there's human error in everything in life, but them officials were raking up those assists yesterday lol... especially that very questionable call on Bradley, Mozgov grabbing Zeller blocking hand...

I do not know If we should just accept it...
just curious, but what exactly do you suggest we do?
I have a feeling about where this is going to lead us...

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

that is absurd. salvatore is beyond awful, i can't think of any other ref besides maybe dick bavetta who has worked so many suspicious games. salvatore was on the court for game 3 of the 2010 finals, when the c's came out and looked like they were going to blow out the lakers, then the refs manufactured a slew of phantom fouls until the c's whole starting lineup was in foul trouble. lakers won a fairly close game, assuring the series would go back to LA.
people forget about how bad that game was because the really egregious calls came so early.

and, to provide some balance, watch game 2 of the 2008 finals. the celtics got an unbelievably good whistle that game. the refs were making up calls i've honestly never seen before.

in the magic/lakers finals a few years back, in the final game of the series, there was a stretch late in the 3rd quarter where the magic shot something like 20 straight free throws and the lakers had none. look it up. it was ridiculous, i was blatantly rooting against the lakers and i still noticed it.

another doozy was the bulls/nets game 4, two years ago. the bulls led the series 2-1, and the refs called maybe the worst game i've ever seen, trying to steal it from chicago, despite the fact that the nets turned in a listless, pathetic effort, and were terribly outplayed. i watched this game with a friend, and we were both stunned at how horrible it was. it actually made me really appreciate the bulls, who put in a gutty effort and basically beat an 8-man team.

and this is also the league that has elevated scott foster to one of its top officials; this is the same scott foster who was tim donaghy's best friend who the FBI claims donaghy called before every single game. seems like the perfect guy to have officiating playoff games.

but i digress. most NBA games aren't TOO badly officiated. the last couple years have been better than what we've seen in the past. but over the years there have been some really, really, really suspect performances, especially in games involving superstars and big market teams.

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Agenda

Donaghy literally got caught and people think he was the only one

Please
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Joey Crawford is the worst to me, and he holds grudges against players and gets personal, how he is allowed to ref being that unprofessional is beyond me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-hdrSTxeas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SYIrUnf5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVCkSR7i1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ymAgWXwS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9nI4zlEW2A

Horrible in my best Bill Walton voice.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Joey Crawford is the worst to me, and he holds grudges against players and gets personal, how he is allowed to ref being that unprofessional is beyond me.
He's got stiff competition, though -- Kenny Mauer, Bill Kennedy, Scott Foster, to name a few.

Googling around, I also figured out that apparently Dan Crawford is widely accepted as the top NBA referee. Then I went, "Hm, I can't remember anything about Dan Crawford" -- which I guess just comes to reinforce the point.

Also, did you know that the NBA now publishes an assessment of calls in the last 2 minutes of close games?

http://official.nba.com/nba-last-two-minute-reports-archive/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 04:00:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I was really hoping they would do this for the whole game for the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
There is always more human error in basketball that we see because of the replays.  I think the CAVS advancing is a better story for the league than us, you can go where you want with that assertion.

I understand there's human error in everything in life, but them officials were raking up those assists yesterday lol... especially that very questionable call on Bradley, Mozgov grabbing Zeller blocking hand...

I do not know If we should just accept it...
just curious, but what exactly do you suggest we do?
I have a feeling about where this is going to lead us...

Viva la revolucion!

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Agenda

Donaghy literally got caught and people think he was the only one

Please

Thank you!

It will serve us well to remember history, that indeed happened but some folks straight up refuse to accept the notion that there could be at least an ounce of foul play in today's game...

it's crazy shid man, not just that it happens in today's NBA, but that people are quick to dismiss any claims (see thread)

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
This will all be forgotten by the time second round begins.

I've said before, I'll say it again.  Find ways to follow the NBA free.  You probably mostly do anyways through your fantasy team. 

Stop ordering League Pass, all the games can be streamed online if you look hard enough.  Also stop paying $100+ a month for cable, do you really need to watch ESPN that badly?  No, just as easy to chromecast and all your wife's shows are on Netflix anyways. 

If you don't like what you see, show them what their entertainment is worth to you.

I wholeheartedly agree, it is tough being a fan of something but not being able to respect it's practices 100%.

Luckily, I never had league pass and never will.

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 04:24:01 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

What is the valid reason? Too many turnovers, too many off. rebounds by opposition? With reasons like that you'd think it would've been a lopsided victory.... but guess what?... It wasn't.

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What is the valid reason? Too many turnovers, too many off. rebounds by opposition? With reasons like that you'd think it would've been a lopsided victory.... but guess what?... It wasn't.
... therefore, it must have been the officiating?!  ::) ::) ::)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-hdrSTxeas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SYIrUnf5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVCkSR7i1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ymAgWXwS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9nI4zlEW2A

Horrible in my best Bill Walton voice.

A couple of observations,

1. Nash should have rejected that free throw. It was so blatant that It was poor sportsmanship to accept the free throws.

2. The looks on the faces of the players when these phantom calls come is priceless. Just the looks on their faces is worth the price of admission