Author Topic: Will Boston trade up?  (Read 25443 times)

Will Boston trade up?
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Picking at 16 seems in this draft seems a bit problematic. The players ranked in that area are at positions that Boston does not really need, there are a bunch of PG's and PF's in the 14-18 range. Do you think they will trade one of their many assets to get up around 9-11 where they could get a player that is a better fit?

Re: Will Boston trade up?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Magic 8-Ball says Yes.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:15:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Picking at 16 seems in this draft seems a bit problematic. The players ranked in that area are at positions that Boston does not really need, there are a bunch of PG's and PF's in the 14-18 range. Do you think they will trade one of their many assets to get up around 9-11 where they could get a player that is a better fit?

I think Danny will trade the 16 and 28 and hope he can get a 11-12 pick (if he really likes someone in this range). Maybe add sullinger and move into 9-10

But will want to keep the 33rd and 45 picks. No auto contracts required to give

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'm sure it's a possibility.

Could also see Ainge trading out. The #16 plus a TPE could land something interesting.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I think Danny will trade the 16 and 28 and hope he can get a 11-12 pick (if he really likes someone in this range). Maybe add sullinger and move into 9-10

Wow, that's a new low for Sully. Using him to move up from 11-12 to 9-10??

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I can't see another team valuing the 28th pick or Sullinger that high. Add in James Young and maybe we can get a top 10 pick.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Could also see Ainge trading out. The #16 plus a TPE could land something interesting.
Trading out seems like the best option. trading up is often really difficult (last year 16 + 19) only got the Bulls pick 11. Different drafts have different values as it took us just a #2 to go from 16 to 13 to get Kelly.

I mean if Stanley Johnson is sitting there at 10 and can be had for 16 and 28 plus a future #2 than move up, likewise if Oubre is there at 13 and he can be had for 16 and a high 2 once again, go for it. However, I suspect that it will be more like 16 +28 + future # 1 to get to #10 and unless Danny sees a guy with superstar potential Id rather he move that pick along with the TE as you suggested to get a really nice player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

I think Danny will trade the 16 and 28 and hope he can get a 11-12 pick (if he really likes someone in this range). Maybe add sullinger and move into 13-14.

FTFY. ;)

Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They've got to try.  Ainge wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't.

Will #16, #28, Bradley and Sullinger or Olynyk get the Celtics into the top 5?  No, probably not, and the Celtics would be giving up kind of a lot just to take a chance on a highly touted draft guy.

But #16, #28 and Bradley might get the Celtics into the top 10 or 12.  If there's a guy Danny really likes in that range -- Stanley Johnson, let's say, or maybe WCS or Porzingis slips a few spots -- I could see that going down.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think there is 99% chance that the C's trade up from at least one of their picks, that or they trade picks for a proven player.

With 4 picks this year and probably more than that next year, we are going to need to consolidate.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
They've got to try.  Ainge wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't.

Will #16, #28, Bradley and Sullinger or Olynyk get the Celtics into the top 5?  No, probably not, and the Celtics would be giving up kind of a lot just to take a chance on a highly touted draft guy.

But #16, #28 and Bradley might get the Celtics into the top 10 or 12.  If there's a guy Danny really likes in that range -- Stanley Johnson, let's say, or maybe WCS or Porzingis slips a few spots -- I could see that going down.
There was a Zach Lowe article a few weeks ago suggesting AB to the Jazz for #12 was possible and that it would be the Jazz not the C's looking to throw in decent assets like Rodney Hood to make that deal work. If you made that Move than offered Sacramento pick 12, pick 16, and Sully for pick # I expect they would take that because pick 12 and 16 would let them get their pg of the future at 12 (Grant/Dunn) and then a PF at 16 (Harrell, Lyles etc). In fact I could even see them doing this move with just 12 and 16 or Sully, but thats because the Kings FO is stupid

losing AB + Sully + 16 makes us substantially worse next year and is effectively moving 3 mid firsts and several years of invested player development for the # 6 pick. In order to win that trade #6 pick needs to be an absolute stud.

That being said, If we sign Middleton using some of the cap cleared up by moving AB now you are set at the 1, 2, 3 for the future and still have KO, Zeller and a ton of cap space to solve the problems at the 4 and 5.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Wow, that's a new low for Sully. Using him to move up from 11-12 to 9-10??

to be fair, Sully's injury dropped him to 21 where we grabbed him, and with his injury, getting into the lotto pick with him and our 16th pick is a no brainer for me

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think we will make trade.. not sure it will be through draft...  maybe sully for a future first... i think it will be a  year of patience

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I agree.  The Thomas trade seems like an indication he wants faster rebuild not younger rebuild.  I know people want Cousins, but that may take more than even both of our firsts this year.  Philly is interesting, in that maybe Noel or Embid could be had for two firsts.  What about a S&T with LA for Jordan?  I'm not a cap guy, so I'd be curios to see what that would look like.  He's an intriguing UFA in that Danny could prmoise him that he is the face of the franchise, you know, stroke that ego a bit.  Build around him, etc, etc....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

losing AB + Sully + 16 makes us substantially worse next year and is effectively moving 3 mid firsts and several years of invested player development for the # 6 pick. In order to win that trade #6 pick needs to be an absolute stud.

You can probably substantially replace AB and Sullinger without too much trouble in free agency, honestly.  Would the team really be worse if you just re-signed Bass and Jerebko and then signed a guy like Jared Dudley, Arron Afflalo, or Wilson Chandler for somewhere in the 4-7 million per year range?

Anyway, the whole point of spending several years of player development on young role players like AB and Sully is the hope that you can then package them later for a chance at a real star. 

If a trade (or series of trades) is available that allows the Celts a chance at a guy Danny thinks could be a star, they've got to jump on it.

Hypothetical scenarios like this are why I believe there's a solid chance the Celts could actually take a step or two back this summer while going after assets that could prove to be more than just nice role players.  Trying to win games by virtue of having quality 10 man depth is not going to lead to contention.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain