Author Topic: Will Boston trade up?  (Read 25419 times)

Re: Will Boston trade up?
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Ainge can't trade up, I would strongly consider trading down.

Maybe try to get Hollis-Jefferson towards the end of the first round.

Or simply trading out and conserve the cap space.

This is where I think the draft is headed for the Celtics this year.  I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Danny punt the draft this year if he can.

I don't at all understand why that would make sense.

You could create more cap space by using the stretch provision on Wallace than by "punting" on the draft.

It's not like this team should be avoiding opportunities to add and develop young talent, and honestly, the next few years are probably going to look pretty similar in terms of our draft position prior to any trades being made.

Are you thinking they're going to try and go out and sign a couple of guys to big contracts this summer?

It's actually quite simple if you think it through.

This team is already quite young to begin with. Do they really need to bring more middle of the pack college talent on board via the draft?  Look where they'll be drafting.  Realistically, are they going to pick up an impact guy?  How many young guys do you want to develop before its saturation? Another rookie to throw to the NBDL?  A euro stash?   How far can they realistically trade up where it's actually worth it?

I've also maintained for months that I don't think they'll be a big splash this summer via free agency and the rebuild will continue.  Maybe they'll throw an offer at one of the restricted guys but I can't see one of them coming to Boston.  I think you're much more likely to see things happen via trade.  Perhaps something will happen on draft night.  I think it's more likely to occur down the road in 2016.   

We're in the "bridge years" right now but getting closer to that point where assets start getting cashed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If Ainge loved anyone outside the top 6 picks, he would have figured out a way to tank. To now trade up by packaging picks would be a waste of the effort put in to get those picks.  I just don't see him doing that.  I do see him trading out somehow, though. I agree that we can't gamble with a middle round talent guy who likely won't be playing for a while.

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »

Offline farishmj16

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
I love jeffererson out of arizona. He reminds me a little Kawhi Leonard. Leonard was not very highly touted coming out of SD State. Both came out of college as lockdown defenders but lacked a jumper. I think Jefferson could be a steal come draft day

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I love jeffererson out of arizona. He reminds me a little Kawhi Leonard. Leonard was not very highly touted coming out of SD State. Both came out of college as lockdown defenders but lacked a jumper. I think Jefferson could be a steal come draft day
Leonard was an elite rebounder but I also see RHJ as a potential steal with his physical profile, defensive ability, and I think his O is underrated

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2015, 02:48:05 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
 They need to look for guys with a high ceiling. The only way they trad up is if say Turner drops to a couple spaces in front of them.  This year seems like a crapshoot, you really wanted to be in the top four, then after that there are guys like Mario, Porzingis, and Winslow that are worth the gamble, but are they really worth trading up for? There are also a few guys like Upshaw, Mickey, Looney, and Alexander that have a high bust potential, but might be worth a gamble because they have a unique talent. They need to find a star somewhere desperately.

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm sure it's a possibility.

Could also see Ainge trading out. The #16 plus a TPE could land something interesting.

I agree.  The Thomas trade seems like an indication he wants faster rebuild not younger rebuild.  I know people want Cousins, but that may take more than even both of our firsts this year.  Philly is interesting, in that maybe Noel or Embid could be had for two firsts.  What about a S&T with LA for Jordan?  I'm not a cap guy, so I'd be curios to see what that would look like.  He's an intriguing UFA in that Danny could prmoise him that he is the face of the franchise, you know, stroke that ego a bit.  Build around him, etc, etc....

Ainge really wanted to be in the lottery. He wanted to put off the IT trade till the summer just so they wouldn't win more games. The deal was too good to pass up however, i also don't think the trade meant anything more than obtaining another good asset. Also, i doubt anything we have currently gets us Noell or Embiid.

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I hope we trade up. D'Angelo Russell is a stud. Guy can flat out play and we need a starting point guard (along with a starter at the other 4 positions)

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
It is true: JR is not allowed to touch Bradley  ;D
[ooops long thread]

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It's actually quite simple if you think it through.

This team is already quite young to begin with. Do they really need to bring more middle of the pack college talent on board via the draft?  Look where they'll be drafting.  Realistically, are they going to pick up an impact guy?  How many young guys do you want to develop before its saturation? Another rookie to throw to the NBDL?  A euro stash?   How far can they realistically trade up where it's actually worth it?

I've also maintained for months that I don't think they'll be a big splash this summer via free agency and the rebuild will continue.  Maybe they'll throw an offer at one of the restricted guys but I can't see one of them coming to Boston.  I think you're much more likely to see things happen via trade.  Perhaps something will happen on draft night.  I think it's more likely to occur down the road in 2016.   

We're in the "bridge years" right now but getting closer to that point where assets start getting cashed.

See, what you're saying seems contradictory to me.

There will be spots in the rotation available for young players who join the team, whether that's via the draft, trade, or free agency.  The team is unlikely to be in win-now mode.

If I thought the Celts were in a situation where they already have too many young guys vying for playing time, I might agree with you, but I don't think that's the case.  The Celtics don't have any guys who have clearly distinguished themselves as a having a definite core role on the team.

So yeah, use a couple of 1st round picks on players who might challenge for the rotation spots vacated by guys like Bass, Jerebko and possibly Crowder or Turner, and then use the second round picks on projects or draft and stash guys.

And that assumes that Ainge doesn't find a good opportunity to consolidate picks and trade up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It is true: JR is not allowed to touch Bradley  ;D

Only if Bradley's girlfriend is not around  :P

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well those people wishing for playoffs will be crying after the sweep but the good news is our reward will be 2 average college players to sit at the end of the bench next year. Add to that it will be almost impossible to get a free agent since the new $ coming in will allow almost every team to keep their own players.

Next move? :-X

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Well those people wishing for playoffs will be crying after the sweep but the good news is our reward will be 2 average college players to sit at the end of the bench next year. Add to that it will be almost impossible to get a free agent since the new $ coming in will allow almost every team to keep their own players.

Stop crying .  DA and the FO aren't tanking ......it's not the fans fault or players or coach ......so stop with the whining about fans cheering for their team .

Call DA and complain ... ::)

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:08 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

Stop crying .  DA and the FO failed at tanking ......it's not the fans fault or players  ......so stop with the whining it ain't gonna change anything.

Call DA and complain ... ::)

Fixed for truthfulness,  no TP necessary.

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2015, 10:56:04 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

So what did you want them to do? They got rid of Rondo. They got rid of Green. They were supposed to suck. But they didnt. They actually got better with a bunch of young players and scraps thrown in trades. So outside of firing Stevens, I'm not sure what else Ainge could have done to get into the lottery.

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I hope we unload a bunch of assets to move up. There's a lot of talent in this draft, but alas, it's all in the top 8. I'd support unloading a bunch of assets for a really high pick. For example you could make a 3-team trade such as:

#16, #26 + Sully to Miami for #10
#10, Young, Bkn '16, Bkn '18, #33 to Orlando for #5 (WINSLOW).

Mostly this is because I think Justise is a future superstar.