Author Topic: Will Boston trade up?  (Read 25447 times)

Re: Will Boston trade up?
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Picking at 16 seems in this draft seems a bit problematic. The players ranked in that area are at positions that Boston does not really need, there are a bunch of PG's and PF's in the 14-18 range. Do you think they will trade one of their many assets to get up around 9-11 where they could get a player that is a better fit?

I think Danny will trade the 16 and 28 and hope he can get a 11-12 pick (if he really likes someone in this range). Maybe add sullinger and move into 9-10

But will want to keep the 33rd and 45 picks. No auto contracts required to give

It will take more then #16 + #28 to get to #11-12, last year the bulls traded #16, #19 and a future 2nd to get to #11. I do think the 2016 picks will be an option in this draft to move up. The Mavs and Nets both have a chance to be loto teams next year and this adds some value to the picks. I would think 16 + 28 + mavs pick gets the Cs 11-12.
And the year before it took us 2 future seconds (47 and 34) to get from 16 to 13. In fact those were future 2s which tend to carry less value than current 2s so our 45 and 33 are more valuable.
In 2013 9 sold for 21 and 14
In 2010 11 and Morris Peterson sold for 21 and 26
In 2006 the Grizzlies went from 16 to 13 for a future #2

I have no doubt we will be able to get to 12ish with the Clips pick or the seconds. there we could get Oubre or Turner but if we want Stanley Johnson or someone in the more elite tier (and we do) then we just have to hope theres a team that doesnt see a good fit available and wants to move back and pick up depth.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
If we don't trade up, I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down a little.

I'd target swapping #16 for #18 and #32 (and maybe a protected future 1st) with Houston.  At #18 I'd pick whoever is left between Looney, Lyles, and Portis.

Then I would use #28 plus some combination of the 2nds to trade up for either Rondae Hollis-Jefferson or RJ Hunter.

I'd still rather get into the single digits for one of the more talented guys, but if not this might be another route to take.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:13:42 PM by HomerSapien »

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

losing AB + Sully + 16 makes us substantially worse next year and is effectively moving 3 mid firsts and several years of invested player development for the # 6 pick. In order to win that trade #6 pick needs to be an absolute stud.

You can probably substantially replace AB and Sullinger without too much trouble in free agency, honestly.  Would the team really be worse if you just re-signed Bass and Jerebko and then signed a guy like Jared Dudley, Arron Afflalo, or Wilson Chandler for somewhere in the 4-7 million per year range?

Anyway, the whole point of spending several years of player development on young role players like AB and Sully is the hope that you can then package them later for a chance at a real star. 

If a trade (or series of trades) is available that allows the Celts a chance at a guy Danny thinks could be a star, they've got to jump on it.

Hypothetical scenarios like this are why I believe there's a solid chance the Celts could actually take a step or two back this summer while going after assets that could prove to be more than just nice role players.  Trying to win games by virtue of having quality 10 man depth is not going to lead to contention.
One benefit of having a team riddled with mediocrity... Literally everyone is easily replaceable.  Only one I'd be nervous about trading is Marcus Smart on the off chance he develops beyond defensive role player. But hes totally on the table in trades if it lands a substantial cornerstone player.

He strikes again! lol  ::)
I'm going to get labelled a Marcus Smart hater in the same way I was labelled a Rajon Rondo hater.  When you don't get drunk off the irrational koolaid, people assume you are trolling.   I was proven right with Rondo eventually.

Smart is a fine prospect.  Probably the most valuable chip we have.   I'd argue that the #6 pick was more valuable before we used it.   Smart has proven to be maybe the 7-10th best rookie this year.  Not bad.  His defense is spectacular.  He can sporadically be troublesome for opposing guards.  But he's an undersized shooting guard with atrocious offensive ability right now.  Those expecting him to develop into a Russell Westbrook type player are taking a major leap of faith.  Sometimes bad offensive guards remain bad offensive guards.  Sure, Smart could suddenly raise his 36% shooting to a level of competence... we saw it happen with Ben McLemore this year.  Guards usually get more efficient in their 2nd year.   Or maybe Smart follows the Rondo/Rubio (without elite passing) path.   I wouldn't bet money on Smart becoming an all-star some day.

I just can't take you serious anymore. Your pessimism is just too much, and you constantly underrate our guys in favor of overrating your "bae" in Philly. You're the one being irrational in your Smart-hatred, and your claims that you were making last night about "Smart's ceiling is Noel's floor," "Smart's ceiling is at best Avery Bradley," and "at best, Smart will impact the game on the level Noel did as a rookie" are just astronomically biased and asinine. Tell me again, who is the one drinking the irrational red, white, and blue koolaid?  ::)

Actual quotes, by the way, before you say I'm misrepresenting what you said.
Yep.  That's the way it looks right now.  Wicked unfair, right?  Defensive big men impact basketball games more than defensive little men.   Noel's floor was his rookie season... where he averaged 10 points 8 boards, 2 blocks and 2 steals for the season and lead a top 12 defensive team.   As he made strides throughout the year, he proved to be even better after the all-star break... where his team had the best defensive rating in the league in minutes he was on the court.     I'd like to think that if Smart someday was able to develop into a player who could single-handedly make his squad the best defensive team in the league, it would be considered an unprecedented achievement for a 6'4 tweener guard.  While both Smart and Bradley are pests defensively, you'll never see either as the focalpoint of a team's defense.  Nobody is building a defense where they funnel everyone to Marcus Smart.  That's obviously not happening since basketball doesn't work that way.   Unfortunately, for a guard to impact the game in such a significant manner, it has to be on the offensive end...  So if SMart some day develops into a player who can carry his team's offense, it will be as impressive as Noel carrying his team's defense.  Thus, Smart's ceiling is Noel's floor.   

Sure, there's a little hyperbole there, but you didn't seem to be grasping the difference between an elite defensive guard (Tony Allen) and an elite defensive big (Ben Wallace).   The concept continues to baffle, frustrate and anger you.   In peak form, both were EXCEPTIONAL at what they did.  The cream of the crop.   But Tony Allen's defensive impact is enough to make him a solid role player (often off the bench).   Ben Wallace's defensive impact was enough to build a champion around.   Size matters. 

That doesn't mean I "h8r8" Tony Allen, because I accurately mention his trade value never approached the trade value of Ben Wallace.  It doesn't mean I h8r8 Marcus Smart when I point out his current limitations.  Maybe he makes an improbable leap and develops into the next Gary Payton.   He was a pretty weak offensive player in College (42%/29%/72% his sophomore season) and has proven to be a weak offensive player as a rookie.  Maybe it'll happen.  Maybe James Young will develop into a better player than Andrew Wiggins.  Maybe the guy we get #16 will be the next Michael Jordan.  It's not impossible.  I try not to base my evaluation of the team on wild fantasyland expectations.
I don't think your earlier comparison, comparing Smart to Tony Allen, is a fair one.

The first problem I have with this, is that Marcus has a far superior offensive BBIQ. Maybe you can't remember all of the boneheaded plays Tony made.

The second is, Marcus has a superior handle. Tony Allen has that high and sometimes out of control handle. Smart is a lot more coordinated with the ball.

The last point I'll make is that Marcus has better shooting form. Smart has the potential to be a decent shooter. His form is not broken. Tony Allen, on the other hand, has always had a clunky jump shot.

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm cool with the Celtics picking a 2way small forward like Dekker or Hunter at 16.

They could easily be better pro players than Oubre or Turner picked around 11/12.

If the Celtics trade up, I think it is only worth it if they crack into the top 7 or 8. And at that the cost might be too high.

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Doubtful. The NBA isn't like the NFL where mid-firsts are as valuable as top 5 picks. After about pick 7 or 8, the bust rate goes up past 75%. A 16 pick is nearly worthless and a 26 pick completely so.

We'll probably package them for future firsts. Can't see us adding more marginal rooks to the squad..

What makes you think packaging mid-round 1sts in this draft is likely to yield picks that have a decent chance of turning into top picks in the future?  How does it really help the team to roll over the picks into the future?

Even if they're just more role players, adding guys on rookie contracts who still have the allure of some "potential" will increase the trade assets on the Celts roster compared to the expiring veterans and journeymen they've got taking up half the roster right now.

Maybe. Frankly the picks aren't terribly valuable now, next year, or three years from now unless we tank next year. I'd roll over the picks and then tank next year personally..

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 12:10:44 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I don't know if we'll trade up or out, but we sure as hell won't be drafting 4 players come June.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:58 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If Ainge can't trade up, I would strongly consider trading down.

Maybe try to get Hollis-Jefferson towards the end of the first round.

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Doubtful. The NBA isn't like the NFL where mid-firsts are as valuable as top 5 picks. After about pick 7 or 8, the bust rate goes up past 75%. A 16 pick is nearly worthless and a 26 pick completely so.

We'll probably package them for future firsts. Can't see us adding more marginal rooks to the squad..

What makes you think packaging mid-round 1sts in this draft is likely to yield picks that have a decent chance of turning into top picks in the future?  How does it really help the team to roll over the picks into the future?

Even if they're just more role players, adding guys on rookie contracts who still have the allure of some "potential" will increase the trade assets on the Celts roster compared to the expiring veterans and journeymen they've got taking up half the roster right now.

Maybe. Frankly the picks aren't terribly valuable now, next year, or three years from now unless we tank next year. I'd roll over the picks and then tank next year personally..

Yep we need to tank next year. Hard. Our picks this year have no value and the Brooklyn picks have middling value due to them making the playoffs this year as well. You don't think Proky will allow Boston to get the #1 pick do you? He's going to spend.

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Your dreaming ......tank how ?  The team of IT , Sully , KO , and Smart plus Zeller is not going to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick .  Doubtful even 10 th .

Chances are 100 percent these guys will be even better next year , individually and as a team , same with coach .

DA can still dump Wallace and Bass , but there is no one left that's old .  Celtics are at least a 30 -40 win team again min.   

He may trade some young players , but to think he'll dump everybody to get as bad as Knicks is absurd ....then you have not been watching Celtics basketball very long .

Danny might trade all these guys ......but it won't be for worse players .....he is thinking improvement , not selling off or giving players away......

Danny refuses to sell off assets for nothing .....look how long he has held on to Bass ......so you really think he will throw away his core , just to get a top three ?

You don't want a reputation of being a losing team, the bottoming out was last season .....that was your so tank.... It's done ...big tank is over .

You are dreaming about a philosophy thankfully DA does not endorse .

The Coach won't play for a team of D league players trying to win the top three lottery .

Fans don't want to endure that either .

It's not the Celtic way ......but if you are only a kid , then you won't under stand .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:29:30 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2015, 08:48:07 AM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I dont think the 1st option is to trade up. I think we are looking for proven Players and to use our picks in a trade. If that is not going to happen, we might trade up or down some spots but nothing major like trading in the top 10 or something.

Edit: After we had two great playoffgames with a core of roleplayers which are all young and on cheap contracts it is beyond me how someone could suggest we need to rip this team off for the chance of a chance to have a chance to get a star in the draft. Ridiculous!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:56:34 AM by e4sym0de »

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2015, 09:25:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think if we get swept it increases the chances that we trade up or make a big move this summer.

The team of IT , Sully , KO , and Smart plus Zeller is not going to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick .  Doubtful even 10 th .

Remove IT and it is I think.  A lot of teams were blatantly tanking this year, we might take a step back next year given that NYC will have Melo back and a top five pick most likely.  Indy will have PG back.   MIA will be adding a lottery pick.

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I was proven right with Rondo eventually.

I'm not sure in what way you were "proven right" about Rondo?  If you mean that you were proven right that he would never fully recover post ACL surgery and become the player he was prior to that major knee injury, then, yes, you were proven right. 

If somehow, pre-injury, you knew all along that his prime would be cut short by a major knee injury, then you weren't only right, but clairvoyant as well.

Impressive. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Unless we are drafting Russel, Winslow, or Johnson, our first and probably second picks should be for positions 3-5.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
ugh....we should of just tanked for a top 5 pick this year. we're just about to get swept in the playoffs, none of our guys hold anymore value than they did when we sucked.

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
ugh....we should of just tanked for a top 5 pick this year. we're just about to get swept in the playoffs, none of our guys hold anymore value than they did when we sucked.

Maybe not (I'm not really sure how that's knowable either way, though?), but they are gaining valuable playoff experience.  That, by itself, is worth something.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson