Author Topic: Budenholzer wins COY, Stevens finished 4th.  (Read 4291 times)

Re: Budenholzer wins COY, Stevens finished 4th.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I was a bit bummed that Stevens wasn't higher, but I guess anytime you finish ahead of Pop in a coaching vote you should be quite proud

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Agree with most except Kerr. Rookie coach with exceptional talent. Would Kerr lead the Celtics to the playoffs? What if Kerr had actually accepted the HC job with the Knicks. It'll be interesting to see throughout the playoffs if Kerr is really as good as most think he is.

Note: I don't have any bias on if Kerr is a good coach or not. I've not watched enough GSW games to have an opinion.

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 01:16:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
. Would Kerr lead the Celtics to the playoffs? What if Kerr had actually accepted the HC job with the Knicks. It'll be interesting to see throughout the playoffs if Kerr is really as good as most think he is.

He may be from the Phil Jackson school of coaching where you only coach stacked teams.

I can't get over the fact that Kidd made it to the top 3 in this vote

This was one of the most clever time out of all time. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqU7JHkfu0

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »

Online Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
For those questioning the Kerr votes, here's an article placing GSW's season in perspective:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/04/steph_curry_s_golden_state_warriors_are_as_good_as_michael_jordan_s_bulls.html

You can agree or disagree with the overall assessment but the facts are there:

Golden State is one of only 10 teams in the nearly 70-year history of the league to win 67 games.

The team finished the season ranked first in defensive efficiency—points allowed per 100 possessions. They ranked second in offensive efficiency—points scored per 100 possessions. They were also first in pace factor—possessions per game. This combination of top-ranked defense and highest pace in the league hasn’t been done in 37 years. Perhaps more strikingly, no team since the 72-win 1995-96 Chicago Bulls of Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Phil Jackson (and yes, Steve Kerr) has finished in the top two in offensive and defensive efficiency in a single season.

Their improvement from 51 to 67 wins is not to be dismissed as "not a huge amount." It's going from pretty good to historically excellent.

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The main thing is that the Warriors' increase in wins came with the same roster, with the main shift in minutes involving Draymond Green playing more and David Lee playing less.

One can debate over how much of the improvement was due to Kerr being great and how much of that was due to Mark Jackson being a horrible coach, but Kerr was a clear upgrade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The main thing is that the Warriors' increase in wins came with the same roster, with the main shift in minutes involving Draymond Green playing more and David Lee playing less.

One can debate over how much of the improvement was due to Kerr being great and how much of that was due to Mark Jackson being a horrible coach, but Kerr was a clear upgrade.
Kerr took a iso/post up heavy offense and let it fly with movement, passing, and a clear game plan.

Harrison Barnes/Green were the biggest two players to benefit from the change, though it helped everyone on the roster.

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A post-up heavy offense is usually inefficient.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I like this quote from Kerr:

Ethan Strauss
@SherwoodStrauss
Kerr on Bud winning COY: "I stole a bunch of his plays. I don't think he stole any of mine"

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I was a bit bummed that Stevens wasn't higher, but I guess anytime you finish ahead of Pop in a coaching vote you should be quite proud
This award has long turned into a "Second Best Coach of the Year", though -- and it's probably going to stay this way until Pop retires.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
This award has long turned into a "Second Best Coach of the Year", though -- and it's probably going to stay this way until Pop retires.
Coach of the year is not the same thing as Best Coach. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yes, and however you want to call it, Pop could win it every year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Having a consistent core doesn't hurt either. We already know what Pop is capable of and he could lead that award year in, but for the sake of this year I think they were fairly accurate with their list; especially with the coaches that did more with less.

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 03:10:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Having a consistent core doesn't hurt either. We already know what Pop is capable of and he could lead that award year in, but for the sake of this year I think they were fairly accurate with their list; especially with the coaches that did more with less.
You're right that it never hurts to have Tim Duncan. But Pop has taken some absolute no-namers and turned them into legit NBA players. You can of course argue whether this is a credit to Pop the GM or Pop the coach, but he's done a lot with players that didn't amount to much in the eyes of the rest of the league.

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »

Online Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah, although at this point you can argue that Pop is doing more with less too. Diaw was washed up in Charlotte five years ago, Duncan is a million years old, Parker and Ginobili are only intermittently as good as they once were...I mean, Danny Green led the team in minutes. Who knows, they might be a 40 win team without Pop.

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I disagree.  It isn't the best coach award, it should go to the guy that did the best coaching job.  Pop rarely does the best coaching job and thus should rarely win the award even though he is the best coach in the game (see similar arguments as to why Lebron James shouldn't win the MVP every year). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip