Author Topic: Sean Grande on Bill Don't Lie  (Read 700 times)

Sean Grande on Bill Don't Lie
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-dont-lie-podcast-joe-house-and-sean-grande-on-the-first-round/

Some highlights from Grande's conversation with Bill Simmons (starts toward the end of the podcast after the gambling talk with Joe House):

- Grande compared the team to going out and ordering an entire meal of appetizers, which is great during the regular season when you get a different taste each night

- Says he was impressed especially on the west coast trip during the second half of the season when he realized that the Celtics' 6-10 were better than pretty much every other team's 6-10.

- Having a great 6-10 will win you games in the regular season, but the playoffs are all about 1, 2, 3.  Need to have entrees.

- Makes a case for appreciating the moment and enjoying what the team has accomplished, even if they go out there and lose in 4.  Says he appreciates sports for the stories, and this season's team is a good story.  Most teams each year have no shot at winning it all.

- Notes that what most NBA players will tell you first about Boston is that it's cold -- not just the city, but the arena. 

- Makes the point that most NBA players think about the Celtics and what comes to mind is Pierce, Garnett, and Doc Rivers.  NBA players are young guys and the stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s doesn't really register.

- Interestingly, most NBA players are not excited about playing in Boston when they first come to the team, but most guys really enjoy the experience.  Says, for example, that Joakim Noah hates Boston, but would probably come to love playing for the team and the city if he came here.  Bostonians appreciate players who play like Noah.

- Admits that Brad Stevens is not a good interview, because unlike most coaches he doesn't pay attention to media storylines, and isn't much of a self-promoter.  Just wants to talk x's and o's all day.  But the players appreciate that, once they get past how strange he is for a coach (it's strange for a coach to be down to earth and just want to talk about the game).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Sean Grande on Bill Don't Lie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:43:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Thanks for sharing, TP.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Good summary, TP.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Great recap PhoSita!

I respect Grande a lot...he is the first who hinted at the Celtics getting KG...and that was way before anything had even materialized...he knew stuff then and I believe he knows stuff now.

When Grande speaks, we should all listen...