Author Topic: injury's and bigs-durability factor  (Read 605 times)

injury's and bigs-durability factor
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:00:54 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
seems drafting bigs with only one year of college leaves teams vunerable to physical issues
maybe drafting bigs in the past older, showed who had durability factor.
just a thought,
as they draft biggger and with more length it seems more growth issues are occurring-
the pro game so much more physical and the much longer season,maybe 15-20minutes for zeller will not wear him out,but he looks the durable type-
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:07:05 AM by rollie mass »

Re: injury's and bigs-durability factor
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
my recent exposure to premier league basketball in england  and watching every practice ,game and actually going on team bus.alot of the big kids are shy and reticent,also i noticed afraid to use
their size and strength
-maybe a bully syndrome and almost anybody of size was having growth issues,arch problems,my son was crippled by a 6 -7 inch growth spurt,-its not easy being a giant mentally and physically or tall and skinny-larry sanders ,javal mcgee,whiteside and cousins--
danny's bigs zeller,ko and jerebko seem very balanced

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A lot of these guys are not brutally strong, they are big and have some size but that does not mean they are strong.   Sure they are strong compared to a guy off the street.  But pure strength does not make one a basketball player otherwise Magnus Magnuson would have been in the NBA.  Strength can help but it is not the end all in basketball.   Some guys need to get stronger sure but basketball likes a lean strength a lot of the time.

Take Sully for instance, he benched 185 only 9 times on his combine, despite having a reputation for brute strength.  Crowder is a strong guy he did it like 20 times.  Zeller did it 16 times, but looking at them one would assume Sully was the strongest.  Smart did it  19 times and WCS did it 19 times when tested last year.   It is much as test as endurance with a weight that low.   I did 225 lbs  32 times when in the service, but my life depended on me being fit, but I was curious how I would fare against the NFL weight and I was comparable to their linemen.

Arnold once said Wilt was one of the strongest guys he ever met.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIu7o5NH1k

With the bigs, it often takes longer for them to develop.  This makes them seem shy.  Their can be some awkwardness due to the growth,   the guys who are gym rats over come this the easiest.  A smaller guy has to be more aggressive, some bigs, a  lot of them rely on their height and let the game come to them, instead of asserting themselves.

I do think that guys can be brittle and injury prone over a certain height.   I would place the number about 7-4 or so.  Guys that tall have shorter careers.   Height itself can come with some heart problems and health problems.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:09:53 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
A lot of these guys are not brutally strong, they are big and have some size but that does not mean they are strong.   Sure they are strong compared to a guy off the street.  But pure strength does not make one a basketball player otherwise Magnus Magnuson would have been in the NBA.  Strength can help but it is not the end all in basketball.   Some guys need to get stronger sure but basketball likes a lean strength a lot of the time.

Take Sully for instance, he benched 185 only 9 times on his combine, despite having a reputation for brute strength.  Crowder is a strong guy he did it like 20 times.  Zeller did it 16 times, but looking at them one would assume Sully was the strongest.  Smart did it  19 times and WCS did it 19 times when tested last year.   It is much as test as endurance with a weight that low.   I did 225 lbs  32 times when in the service, but my life depended on me being fit, but I was curious how I would fare against the NFL weight and I was comparable to their linemen.

Arnold once said Wilt was one of the strongest guys he ever met.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIu7o5NH1k

With the bigs, it often takes longer for them to develop.  This makes them seem shy.  Their can be some awkwardness due to the growth,   the guys who are gym rats over come this the easiest.  A smaller guy has to be more aggressive, some bigs, a  lot of them rely on their height and let the game come to them, instead of asserting themselves.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the bench press measures upper body strength not lower body strength.  My guess comparing Crowder's and Smart's lower body strength to Sully's would not be close.  Sully is much stronger. Add to that, Sully's height, mass and intelligence you can understand why is such a good rebounder.  I'm not knocking Crowder and Marcus' ability to rebound.  It's just Sully has so much more going for him in that department.  Lower body strength is more important for rebounding. 

Quote from OP
"seems drafting bigs with only one year of college leaves teams vunerable to physical issues
maybe drafting bigs in the past older, showed who had durability factor."

Speaking of bigs its not surprising to me that two of Philly's recent draft picks, Noel and Embiid have already had/have knee and/or leg issues. 

I read an article (Sports Illustrated?) about 20 years ago in regards to how 7 footers in the NBA are so susceptible to serious knee and foot injuries   The article listed the players and described their foot, knee or leg problems. 

If I remember correctly the author(s) stated the cause was related to the higher centers of gravity these players have in comparison to shorter players.  And, that the laws of physics work against them.  For example the knee acts as a fulcrum in our movement.  So, if it is higher up then there is greater pressure and less stability to this joint when they jump, move laterally and run. 

It was an eye opening article.  I would imagine most, if not all GM's are aware of it.  Or, at the very least they know that 7 footers suffer a greater proportion of knee and ankle injuries. 

So, the OP may be onto something into regards to the vulnerability of these bigs if they already show physical problems early in their college careers.