Author Topic: JR. Smith: You can't touch Avery Bradley. He's like Kobe now.  (Read 7463 times)

Re: JR. Smith: You can't touch Avery Bradley. He's like Kobe now.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The NBA will do this until their is outrage, at some point, there was last year.   In the finals LeBron had the same refs as the rest of the world.   I watched five minutes of our last game, and you could tell how it was going to be.

I hope it lights AB's fire and he shows up!

Exactly. Everyone knows what's going on (as evidenced by the little conversation had by the announcers), but until a big fuss is made about it nothing will change. It's just ridiculous that people will accept the status quo just because it's the status quo. I'm telling you, if I was Stevens and this game goes the same way, I throw a fit about it to the media. At least it will buy you a game or two of more fairly officiated basketball.

And the rest of the league needs to join in on the fight, too, because virtually every team outside of the Cavs, Clippers, and Rockets (and maybe the Thunder) have an interest in a more fairly officiated game that doesn't give the megastars of the league a huge advantage.

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
This guy lol

Come on son, you are playing alongside the NBA's poster child. JR can't say a [dang] thing.

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
This guy lol

Come on son, you are playing alongside the NBA's poster child. JR can't say a [dang] thing.

I think what he was trying to say is... How Lebron can push people but I can't??? ??? ??? ???

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
He should have said..."He's like LEBRON now".

**** I'm going to one of the games and I might have to put this on a sign.. lol

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:15 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Avery Bradley getting foul calls? Was JR Smith at a different game than the one I watched?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Great so we can now expect to see more hand checking and grabbing from them.

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Somewhere out there, Kobe is rolling in his grave

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 01:28:57 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Avery didn't even shoot any free throws in game 1... 

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Just another dumb comment for JR to seek some media attention. The guy is a total goon.

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »

Offline TheOneTrueRobb

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 14
I have to say the ONLY player I've seen get ref favoritism like Lebron is Jordan.

Bird used to get some calls.
-------
------
-----
----
---

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »

Offline ghu55

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
The worst part about the refs and Lebron is that not only does he get calls on offense, refs refuse to call defensive fouls on him.  He should have had four fouls by the third quarter on Sunday.

I wish there was a point to complaining, it won't change...

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The worst part about the refs and Lebron is that not only does he get calls on offense, refs refuse to call defensive fouls on him.  He should have had four fouls by the third quarter on Sunday.

I wish there was a point to complaining, it won't change...

The best way to share your opinion with the league is to stop paying for League Pass, or cable in general (their cash-cow).  There are plenty of pirated feeds out there you can get free-- and legit ones too, like TNT overtime for tonight's game. 

Its just not as entertaining when it "looks" rigged, so I choose not to pay to watch games or follow my team.

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 02:34:07 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I have to say the ONLY player I've seen get ref favoritism like Lebron is Jordan.  Both great players so why do they need this extra help?

wait does jr smith mean bradley is like kobe that he chucks so many shots?  8)

LeBron, Jordan, Kobe, Bradley?  We should only be so lucky!

When I saw the thread title, I swear I thought that Smith was saying that Bradley is so good that he can't be traded.  Silly me.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
The NBA will do this until their is outrage, at some point, there was last year.   In the finals LeBron had the same refs as the rest of the world.   I watched five minutes of our last game, and you could tell how it was going to be.

Exactly. Everyone knows what's going on (as evidenced by the little conversation had by the announcers), but until a big fuss is made about it nothing will change. It's just ridiculous that people will accept the status quo just because it's the status quo. I'm telling you, if I was Stevens and this game goes the same way, I throw a fit about it to the media. At least it will buy you a game or two of more fairly officiated basketball.

And the rest of the league needs to join in on the fight, too, because virtually every team outside of the Cavs, Clippers, and Rockets (and maybe the Thunder) have an interest in a more fairly officiated game that doesn't give the megastars of the league a huge advantage.

The game won't change and it shouldn't.

It amazes me that some the league's old timers (not you, just talking in general) glorify the Bird/Jordan days where superstars got the same if not more favorable treatment from the referees.

I highly doubt the referees go into games deliberately looking to protect LeBron or Durant. The problem is that the referees can't be in perfect position to make every call. When a guy without the athleticism of LeBron barrels towards the rim flailing his arms and screaming (Jordan Crawford, Evan Turner), he's not going to come out of a scrum in which the referee can't make out any distinguishable contact with a foul call, even if he really got hacked, because he looks out of control. When a guy goes to the rim and looks graceful and the referee knows he has superior strength/speed/body control/ball handling, but can't make out of a foul when 3 or 4 defenders swarm to protect the rim, he's going to get a foul call, even if he didn't get hacked at all. The referee can't always see what happened, so a lot of it is the assumption that someone had to have fouled the offensive player if they make a good, strong move to the basket but the shot doesn't go in. To me, that's not primarily about a superstar's unspoken allegiance with a referee. Superstars -- particularly ones with appealing athletic ability -- look more in control driving to the rim and defending. So they get the benefit of the doubt when the referee can't see what truly happened. That's fine with me.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

The game won't change and it shouldn't.

It amazes me that some the league's old timers (not you, just talking in general) glorify the Bird/Jordan days where superstars got the same if not more favorable treatment from the referees.

I highly doubt the referees go into games deliberately looking to protect LeBron or Durant. The problem is that the referees can't be in perfect position to make every call. When a guy without the athleticism of LeBron barrels towards the rim flailing his arms and screaming (Jordan Crawford, Evan Turner), he's not going to come out of a scrum in which the referee can't make out any distinguishable contact with a foul call, even if he really got hacked, because he looks out of control. When a guy goes to the rim and looks graceful and the referee knows he has superior strength/speed/body control/ball handling, but can't make out of a foul when 3 or 4 defenders swarm to protect the rim, he's going to get a foul call, even if he didn't get hacked at all. The referee can't always see what happened, so a lot of it is the assumption that someone had to have fouled the offensive player if they make a good, strong move to the basket but the shot doesn't go in. To me, that's not primarily about a superstar's unspoken allegiance with a referee. Superstars -- particularly ones with appealing athletic ability -- look more in control driving to the rim and defending. So they get the benefit of the doubt when the referee can't see what truly happened. That's fine with me.

Even granting that, how does that explain all of the non-calls on defense that Lebron consistently gets away with? I agree with you that the refs don't consciously go out and try to favor star players, but they do it anyways by ALWAYS giving the star the benefit of the doubt, to a fault. Hell, just two seasons ago Lebron went TWO WEEKS without getting called for a foul, even when he plays an aggressive style of defense.