Author Topic: Nerlens Noel  (Read 9218 times)

Re: Nerlen Noel
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't get it.

What's the fascination on this board with Noel and Embiid?

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hinkie is already under pressure from the media and fans.
Noel is the only tangible proof that he got something right.
He would ask a lot in return for such a trade to happen.
http://articles.philly.com/2015-03-30/sports/60606959_1_nerlens-first-sixers-rookie-noel

I think this years Boston pick (perhaps a future first too) and Sullinger or Olynyk could get it done. Like I said they don't have an established PF and we have too many. I don't think we can pick up a Noel quality player where we are in the draft this year and I highly doubt and team will want to trade down. When Embiid is healthy both players can't play together as neither can come out to hit the 3 and both will get in each others way on the block and it could create a Suns three guard situation.
That's not nearly enough for the Sixers to trade Noel. They are not going to want Sully or Olynyk.  They already have Saric developing in Europe.  Memphis has done just fine with neither their PF or C shooting 3s.  However Embiid has been practicing his 3pt shooting.  I'm not sure how good he'll get at it but he can certainly shoot out to 20'.
This+
there are doubts about Embiid's condition.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24974306/report-joel-embiid-weighs-around-300-pounds-skipping-conditioning
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237479/Joel-Embiid-Received-Fine-From-76ers-For-Missing-Rehab-Sessions
Why bring up that old garbage of Embiid's weight when there are plenty of youtube clips that show him in good shape?  I'd love to get either Noel or Embiid and I'd give up a lot to do so. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPWMu65eLFQ

Tazz are you a celtics fan or Philly fan? I am not trolling you, but when I saw you and Randy always all over the Philly threads and he said he was a philly fan I assumed you were also. Do you like both teams?
I'm a Celtics fan and became an Embiid fan while trying to figure out who I wanted us to draft.  So now I've been following the Sixers some and have become a Noel fan.  Hopefully they'll get the #1 pick, take Towns and we can trade for one of the three in a year.  I do like the moves that Hinkie has made for the Sixers and find the anti-tanking arguments rather weak for their situation.  I'm active in the Philly threads because I find them more interesting than many of the other threads. 

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Noel is a local kid.  Both are intriguing prospects.

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hinkie will never make a major trade with Celts.  We are in the same division. That would be absolutely insane. Why even speculate??

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This post is going down the path that hundreds of similar threads have gone.
i/ We identify a player that would be useful for the team.
ii/We set a price we consider fair
iii/We speculate how great the team would be with this or that player.
Anyone pointing to the obvious fact that if a team makes a talented player available there are 28 other teams interested is either ignored or gets some rude remark.
For instance, I pointed out that the price suggested by a commenter for Noel is too low, and that given there are doubts about Embiid's condition, Philly might not even be interested to trade. And I got an answer ... about Embiid's condition being fine (so what? does this make Noel any cheaper?). Just sayin...

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Anyone pointing to the obvious fact that if a team makes a talented player available there are 28 other teams interested is either ignored or gets some rude remark.
For instance, I pointed out that the price suggested by a commenter for Noel is too low, and that given there are doubts about Embiid's condition, Philly might not even be interested to trade. And I got an answer ... about Embiid's condition being fine (so what? does this make Noel any cheaper?). Just sayin...

This. TP.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
yup... not getting Noel/Embiid for the same reason we weren't getting Drummond for Rondo.  Teams don't give away superstar big man prospects. 

I'd like to say that if Philly landed Townes, they'd consider trading their least favorite of the 3 bigs for a package of Marcus Smart, both our 2015 1sts and Brooklyn's 2016 1st, but they'd have safer routes to take.  Why trade an elite big man prospect with superstar potential for a defensive role player and a few picks with bust potential.  They could hold onto the three bigs for a season and trade one of them for an all-star at a position of need.  Or if they insist on making a move on draft night... they could just trade down a pick or two and pick up a guy like Mudiay or Russell.  No point to trading for some weak package of mid Boston 1sts.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 09:12:10 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
You wrote "old garbage".
The link on him receiving a fine for missing a session is from three days ago.
I wrote old garbage on the weight issue.  While the fine is a new tidbit, there is no indication it is due to any recent behavior by Embiid. 

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't get it.

I don't get it either to be honest...

Nerlens Noel's Per-36 first year stats:
11.6 Points, 9.5 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 2.1 Steals, 2.2 Blocks, 3.2 Turnovers, 46.2% FG, 60.9% FT

Javale McGee's Per-36 first year stats:
15.4 Points, 9.3 Rebounds, 0.7 Assists, 1 Steal, 2.4 Blocks, 1.9 Turnovers, 49.4% FG, 66% FT

This might not be fair, but I'm just pointing this out because:

1) Both guys are extremely athletic, super long, lanky framed 7 footers
2) Both guys are excellent shot blockers
3) Both guys have been described as having 'questionable' basketball IQ on the offensive end

Most people here were practically throwing up in disgust when Danny was talking about trying to sign McGee...not saying that I think Noel will grow to rival McGee as a Shaqtin-a-fool champion, but there are some similarities there and I think they are fairly similar players in terms of skill set.  Admittedly though, Noel does seem to have a far superior work ethic.   

I can see why people like Noel because of of the fact that he is a long, athletic rim protector with many years ahead of him, so when it comes to the interest in him as a prospect I totally understand. 

But a lot of people around the league have been talking about him in terms of how good he is right now, and I just don't see that.  He's averaged 9 points, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks while playing pretty major minutes on one of the worst teams in recently history.  Solid rookie numbers and the potential is unquestionable, but it's not like he's been mind blowing good.

On the plus side, I actually think Noel may end up having a better and longer career then Embiid. 

Noel just seems like the type of guy who knows what he's he does well, and plays within himself.  He's an excellent rebounder and paint protector, and he seems to have a strong work ethic, and guys like that tend to have long and effective careers in the NBA.

Embiid on the other end strikes me a little as the big man equivalent of Evan Turner - he just seems to me like he's going to be the type who wants to prove to the world that he's the next big superstar, and try to fancy things up all the the time instead of making the simple play.  I can see him trying too often to play outside of his abilities, constantly turning the ball over (trying to spin baseline and stepping out, bouncing off his foot, throwing dangerous passes in traffic, getting overwhelmed by double teams and getting the ball stolen, etc) and frustrating the hell out of his coaches.  I can kinda see him being the Evan Turner / Gilbert Arenas of big men.

I guess we will find out next season. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:43:57 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 09:21:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'd rather have a proven player than an "intriguing prospect."

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I'd rather have a proven player than an "intriguing prospect."

Yes and no, to me it all depends on how much they have proven, versus how much they still have in the tank. 

I wouldn't want to take a risk on a prospect like Embiid because he hasn't played a single NBA game, so he's proven nothing.  Unless you can get him for a bargain deal (which won't happen) I'd steer clear until I've seen a good 30-40 professional games from him. 

At the same time I wouldn't go after a guy like Marc Gasol, because he is already 30 and fairly injury prone, and he most likely just doesn't have much left in the tank.  By the time our young guys start to really flourish, he'd be going into his mid 30's and his game will likely have declined heavily. 

On the other hand I don't mind taking a gamble on somebody like Noel because although he's only played one season, he's already shown that he has the ability to control the paint with his defense and rebounding.  His physical talents combined with his age give him a very high upside, so if he's already shown he can contribute at a starter level, then that makes him a low risk, high reward player.  You never want to pass up those.

That's why Philly will probably lock him up, and why we probably won't be able to get him. 

I have to say though, I would LOVE to see this starting five:

Nerlens Noel
Jared Sullinger / Kelly Olynyk
Evan Turner / Jae Crowder
Marcus Smart
Isaiah Thomas   

Re: Nerlens Noel
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Danny should call Noel and see if he wants to leave that miserable organization and play for a real team ......

He is a home town boy ......

DA should call him up and offer him a contract . ???

If he is totally not wanting to be there .....he can ask for a trade ? Nobody really looks happy there to me.

Re: Nerlens Noel
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
[dang it] been thinking it over and now you guys have got me on the Noel bandwagon lol

I am converted - lets go get him Danny!

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
yup... not getting Noel/Embiid for the same reason we weren't getting Drummond for Rondo.  Teams don't give away superstar big man prospects. 

I'd like to say that if Philly landed Townes, they'd consider trading their least favorite of the 3 bigs for a package of Marcus Smart, both our 2015 1sts and Brooklyn's 2016 1st, but they'd have safer routes to take.  Why trade an elite big man prospect with superstar potential for a defensive role player and a few picks with bust potential.  They could hold onto the three bigs for a season and trade one of them for an all-star at a position of need.  Or if they insist on making a move on draft night... they could just trade down a pick or two and pick up a guy like Mudiay or Russell.  No point to trading for some weak package of mid Boston 1sts.

You criminally underestimate Smart lol

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

You criminally underestimate Smart lol

Some people seem to think 3~4 lottery picks are the minimum price for any decent young prospect that doesn't play for the Celtics, never mind that if you just drafted players with those 3~4 lottery picks you're probably more likely than not to hit on at least one decent prospect yourself.

The same people think that Marcus Smart - the decent young prospect that does play for the Celtics - should just be casually dumped into trades as a throw in.

Great words from a great man