Author Topic: Targeting Aldridge this summer  (Read 4895 times)

Re: Targeting Aldridge this summer
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don't think Boston can net a guy like Aldridge in free agency. I don't think the Celtics have the star talent in place to convince a guy like Aldridge that if he joins he'll have a chance to compete for a Championship.

I think Boston have a chance at lower quality younger free agents like Greg Monroe who are in less of a rush to join an immediate title contender and will be more willing to be patient while the team builds around them.
I disagree. If he wants star talent next to him, he will stay in Portland with Damian Lillard. He can come to a weaker conference, better coach, young talent around him, and be the man. If he came to Boston, he would be the go to guy and make us a dangerous team, especially since DA would then use young talent and draft picks to go get more upgrades.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't think Boston can net a guy like Aldridge in free agency. I don't think the Celtics have the star talent in place to convince a guy like Aldridge that if he joins he'll have a chance to compete for a Championship.

I think Boston have a chance at lower quality younger free agents like Greg Monroe who are in less of a rush to join an immediate title contender and will be more willing to be patient while the team builds around them.

The one thing Boston can offer Aldridge is playing in the East.  Put him on this team next year, with no other changes, and we're probably fighting to get into the top 4 in the conference.  Add someone else like Lopez, Chandler or Asik at center or, possibly, Wesley Matthews?

And those are just FA options.  Ainge has certainly got the assets for a trade to supplement Aldridge.

Mike

That's where my line of thinking is. We can sell Aldridge on the idea of him being one of a couple of additions, but with him being the first domino to drop.

The C's have the flexibility to get extremely creative. We can stretch Wallace or attach a 1st rd pick to a team in order to dump him off. We also, if needed, could take on one the 1st rd picks for Bradley, as reported by Zach Lowe, in order to create even more cap space this summer for another potential big free agent signing (DeAndre Jordan in mind).

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
What about Houston then? They have the best chance of getting him

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
What about Houston then? They have the best chance of getting him

Certainly, if the cap didn't exist.

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 04:41:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The one thing Boston can offer Aldridge is playing in the East.  Put him on this team next year, with no other changes, and we're probably fighting to get into the top 4 in the conference.  Add someone else like Lopez, Chandler or Asik at center or, possibly, Wesley Matthews?

And those are just FA options.  Ainge has certainly got the assets for a trade to supplement Aldridge.

Mike

That's where my line of thinking is. We can sell Aldridge on the idea of him being one of a couple of additions, but with him being the first domino to drop.

The C's have the flexibility to get extremely creative. We can stretch Wallace or attach a 1st rd pick to a team in order to dump him off. We also, if needed, could take on one the 1st rd picks for Bradley, as reported by Zach Lowe, in order to create even more cap space this summer for another potential big free agent signing (DeAndre Jordan in mind).
He won't be the first domino.  Too much risk. 

And he is on the 4th seed in the West, why would the 4th seed in the East be appealing especially when he will give up a year, make less dollars per year, have a smaller increase in money, leave the better teammates, and leave the city he has been living in for years.  I'm not saying he won't leave Portland but it won't be for Boston unless Boston makes some major moves before he gets here (you know one of those major draft day trade type moves). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Mike

He won't be the first domino.  Too much risk. 

And he is on the 4th seed in the West, why would the 4th seed in the East be appealing especially when he will give up a year, make less dollars per year, have a smaller increase in money, leave the better teammates, and leave the city he has been living in for years.  I'm not saying he won't leave Portland but it won't be for Boston unless Boston makes some major moves before he gets here (you know one of those major draft day trade type moves).

The 4th seed that just got destroyed by the Grizzlies the series isn't over by a long shot, but the West is notoriously tough.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't think Aldridge would consider the Celtics, but not because Boston's a bad free agent draw, but because Boston is a young, inexperienced team. He'd going to be 30 this year and leaving behind a relatively young, inexperienced Blazers team for an even younger, more inexperienced Celtics team doesn't seem very plausible. If Aldridge were to leave, I'd think it'd be for a veteran-laden team that's ready to seriously contend as soon as next season, such as the Spurs or even the Rockets.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I don't think Aldridge would consider the Celtics, but not because Boston's a bad free agent draw, but because Boston is a young, inexperienced team. He'd going to be 30 this year and leaving behind a relatively young, inexperienced Blazers team for an even younger, more inexperienced Celtics team doesn't seem very plausible. If Aldridge were to leave, I'd think it'd be for a veteran-laden team that's ready to seriously contend as soon as next season, such as the Spurs or even the Rockets.

That's pretty much what happened with David West a few years back.

2010-11 Pacers (the year before West signed)
Record... 37-45
8th seed
Playoffs...lost 4-1in 1st rd

2014-15 Celtics
Record... 40-42
7th seed
Playoffs...TBD

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 09:03:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
That's very much so true; it's also what Al Jefferson did with the Hornets. And that has yet to result in a title for either player, so I would have to think he'd pay that some consideration.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Aldridge but he wouldn't be a natural fit with the celts. Also I don't think he would come here. PRob another team with 1 or 2 superstars

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:49 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I like Aldridge but he wouldn't be a natural fit with the celts. Also I don't think he would come here. PRob another team with 1 or 2 superstars

I don't know man - I think he'd be a fantastic fit.

LMA can hit the open three, his fall-away jump shot is practically undefendable, he's an excellent post player, and he's an outstanding free throw shooter.  Offensively, he is the type of guy who can get his shot off pretty much any time he wants - exactly the type of go-to guy we need. 

To add to that he's also a very good rebounder, a solid passer, and a decent defender. 

If we could somehow manage to get get Aldridge to Boston (i seriously doubt it, but lets pretend) then it wouldn't really matter who you combine him with.  You could combine him with a rim protector like Nerlens Noel or DeAndre Jordan, because with Aldridge they wouldn't need to score.  Or you could combine him with an offensive big man like Kelly Olynyk - with Kelly's ability to shoot/drive, and LMA's ability to shoot/post that duo would be a nightmare to defend. Or you could combine him with a guy like Sully/Monroe and torture opposing teams in the post. 

The only way I don't see Aldridge being a perfect fit is fin terms of age, but I think Aldridge is the type of guy who will remain effective in the league well into his mid 30's because he's more of the slim/finesse (e.g. KG/TD) type big rather than the tank/brute force (i.e .Shaq/Howard) type big.  Even once his post game fades, I could see him continuing to hurt teams with him jumper - much like KG and TD have late in their careers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:12:59 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 11:46:14 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Edit: Double Post

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 03:46:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Bill Simmons on espn radio with Ryen Russillo:
1. Mentioned the C's as an Aldridge destination (just speculation not a source)
2. Ryen and Bill both agree that the C's will try to use their cap space this summer before every team has cap space the following year.

I think if we are able to bring in Cousins or another quality trade target we could have a real shot at Aldridge.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19