Author Topic: Jakob Poeltl staying in college  (Read 2096 times)

Jakob Poeltl staying in college
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Fran Fraschilla among others is reporting that Poeltl is staying in school.

This is not great news for the Cs in this draft as he would have likely gone #8-#11 and would have either been a target to trade up for or at least pushed another prospect down to #16. In the long run this may end up being a positive for the Cs. With the Cs owning their own first in 2016 along with the Nets and Mavs (who both have a chance of making next years lottery) Poeltl may be a target for 2016. I really like his game and think he is a solid long term starting NBA center. Should be interesting to watch Utah feature him next season.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Jakob Poeltl staying in college
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

This is not great news for the Cs in this draft as he would have likely gone #8-#11 and would have either been a target to trade up for or at least pushed another prospect down to #16. In the long run this may end up being a positive for the Cs. With the Cs owning their own first in 2016 along with the Nets and Mavs (who both have a chance of making next years lottery) Poeltl may be a target for 2016. I really like his game and think he is a solid long term starting NBA center. Should be interesting to watch Utah feature him next season.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2420176-155/utah-basketball-jakob-poeltl-to-return

Not good news, but no surprise either.  Was 50/50 according to Ford.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:46:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ah, bummer. I think it is a good decision for him though. Poeltl was a bit too raw to play much next year in the NBA. Another year of college ball, developing his skills and growing into his body will do wonders for him.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Maybe good news for the Celtics -- probably wouldn't have gotten him this year, might have a shot at him next year.

Like Who said, he's a project anyway.  So he'll be developing for free instead of collecting a paycheck from somebody.  His choice, I guess.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

Bad news. He was my number one reasonably reachable target.

That is all on his Utah coach who made an open pitch for him to return. The reasoning was that he will develop his game better. Yeah, cause college basketball programs have better big men staff than NBA teams.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Maybe good news for the Celtics -- probably wouldn't have gotten him this year, might have a shot at him next year.

Like Who said, he's a project anyway.  So he'll be developing for free instead of collecting a paycheck from somebody.  His choice, I guess.
Except I think he would have went before we selected and would have pushed someone better to us this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
This stinks for us. The 16 pick just got one player weaker.

Still, I think there are some rough gems to be found in the 16-35 range.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Except I think he would have went before we selected and would have pushed someone better to us this year.

That's a fair point
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain