Author Topic: Does having Brad Stevens help the Cs attract high profile free agents?  (Read 6174 times)

Re: Does having Brad Stevens help the Cs attract high profile free agents?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
As other might have said, this group gels nice with CBS's system, but I'm somewhat scared of acquiring a big name FA who won't fit in with the system (like rondo) and therefore becomes somewhat useless, possibly causing CBS to get a bad rep.

Where did this stuff come from with "Brad Steven's system" because quite frankly, I care a lot more about acquiring a star player than some "system" that some fans have invented on their own.

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It can't hurt but I doubt it moves the needle any.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As other might have said, this group gels nice with CBS's system, but I'm somewhat scared of acquiring a big name FA who won't fit in with the system (like rondo) and therefore becomes somewhat useless, possibly causing CBS to get a bad rep.

Where did this stuff come from with "Brad Steven's system" because quite frankly, I care a lot more about acquiring a star player than some "system" that some fans have invented on their own.

I wouldn't be interested in a star who was a ball-dominant wing who was a threat to win a scoring title but doesn't play defense.  I think that sort of player would be a bad fit under Stevens.  I'd like to find someone who can provide star-level production without having to score 20 points per game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 10:46:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
No.

What will attract a free agent is acquiring another big name player in a trade, sorta like how trading Ray Allen helped bring KG here

Which is why we need to trade Wallace and oodles of draft picks for Cousins so we can then sign Butler or Leonard. Once we are established, players will be lining up to take MLE / LLE / Vet Min to play with us.

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:15 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
That is exactly what perplexes me the most... maybe my mindset is totally different than almost every player out there, but I would rather play for a great coach at a legendary franchise for less money, than take a max deal in a warmer climate/bigger city.

i guess u have to reach a certain stage in ur career for this to be the case. if ur young and coming into the nba, i would assume the mindset is to make as much money as possible. max contract + big city = maximum earning potential.

Yeah, it's easy to say you would play for less money when it's not your money. If you are a young guy looking to get financially secure, with the risk of anything from injury to being beaten out for playing time etc as an ever present risk to your next contract, of course you take the most money possible when you can. Once you have made 10, 20, 30 million like players like KG etc accumulate by the time they are vets, then you can take a few million less for a chance at winning, but before then it's crazy to do so.

I think the term financially secure is very open to interpretation there.... If you're a top 10-15 pick out of the draft and you're in the final year of your rookie contract, you've  already banked 4-10 million. Not only is that financially secure... that's set for life (provided you actually listened in that freshman finance class).
What i'm getting at here, is that extra 3-5 million a year shouldn't matter if you want a ring, even at that early stage of a career. Surely these professional athletes are driven by winning... not by what they walk away with in their back pocket and the end of the season.