Author Topic: Brad Stevens needs to get mad !!!!!  (Read 3233 times)

Brad Stevens needs to get mad !!!!!
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Hey, I'm all in with the cool under pressure demeanor of our prized, young coach Brad Stevens. Love his sharp, analytic ability to prepare his team and attack his opponent.

But sometimes you gotta be Tommy and be emotional too !!!!

How many techs does this guy have in 2 seasons ? I watch our guys get raked across the arms driving the ball into the lane all day and I never see him react. You gotta let the players know you are there for them and you gotta lose that cool sometimes and chew some butt - some NBA Officiating butt that is.

Today looked like the Celts outplayed Cleveland during most of the 1st half until the refs got their marching orders to start protecting Lebron's team. the overall discrepancy was 33 FT to 22 FT in Cleveland's favor and 29 fouls for Boston to 23 for Cleveland. Thing was, Boston was being aggressive on the offensive end in the 2nd half and couldn't get a call on the aforementioned dribble-drives & off-the-ball cutters to the basket in the lane area.

Change it up Coach Stevens. Let 'em know you're there !!!!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: Brad Stevens needs to get mad !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Yeah, that's a great strategy.  Get mad!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Put Gerald Wallace on Lebron.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
His whole thing is that he's even keeled.  Can't praise his accomplishments on one hand and then complain he's not fiery enough.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 07:02:42 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
Hey, I'm all in with the cool under pressure demeanor of our prized, young coach Brad Stevens. Love his sharp, analytic ability to prepare his team and attack his opponent.

But sometimes you gotta be Tommy and be emotional too !!!!

How many techs does this guy have in 2 seasons ? I watch our guys get raked across the arms driving the ball into the lane all day and I never see him react. You gotta let the players know you are there for them and you gotta lose that cool sometimes and chew some butt - some NBA Officiating butt that is.

Today looked like the Celts outplayed Cleveland during most of the 1st half until the refs got their marching orders to start protecting Lebron's team. the overall discrepancy was 33 FT to 22 FT in Cleveland's favor and 29 fouls for Boston to 23 for Cleveland. Thing was, Boston was being aggressive on the offensive end in the 2nd half and couldn't get a call on the aforementioned dribble-drives & off-the-ball cutters to the basket in the lane area.

Change it up Coach Stevens. Let 'em know you're there !!!!

There was a shot, after the Evan Turner ball on the floor play, or something similar, going to commercial where you could see Stevens on the court pleading his case. I think he certainly lets the ref's know what he thinks. If anything his relative calm serves both the team well, providing a stability to a young group, and the refs. You win more with honey than vinegar. Just because he isn't Bobby Knight doesn't mean he isn't letting the refs know what he thinks about their calls.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
We should not be petty. The reason we lost is because we were outplayed. Specifically by Kyrie.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 07:07:57 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Think this was a respectable showing for the Celts. Stevens is the last guy to worry about.

Having role players get hot is all we can hope for.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Stevens works the refs in his own way. He won't make a scene but he tells them when a big call is missed. His demeanor is what got him here, and in the long term officials will respect him for it and his words will carry more weight.

Also no amount of T's will get the refs to call contact consistently. That's just how NBA refs do.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This would achieve nothing, he is the best asset we have and you want him to get tossed, ridiculous!

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 07:45:17 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
You'all are reading my post as an attack on a sub-par coach. Not at all. I love the guy and am hoping for the best for him, long-term, in Boston. But he is young, too, and he has some things to learn just like his young team does.

For example, the leaders in technicals in the league this year were Popovich, Kerr, Rivers, Thidobeau, Vogel. Some of the top coaches. I am not suggesting that Stevens try to be someone he is not, simply that he put more pressure on the officials. Even Gary Washburn of The Globe agreed with me back in January in an article echoing the same sentiments.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'm sorry but most of their calls were absolutely brutal. Both of the "charges" that Kevin Love drew should have been blocking fouls. They showed a replay on both occasions and both times it showed him still sliding into position.

Also you can just tell that the Cavaliers players have no respect for the referees and the referees did nothing to show them they deserved it. On one play in particular the ref told JR Smith to tuck in his jersey and JR just ignored him and walked away laughing until Lebron yelled at him. Then immediately after he runs full speed into an Olynck screen and barrels him over. Just give him a technical at that point, obviously it was intentional.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 07:49:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

that is a decent idea . ET is useless in this series.  Play Wallace and Crowder. Have ET play SG alongside Smart

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 07:54:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Stevens needs an All-Star more than anything.  We would have won this game with Kawhi

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

that is a decent idea . ET is useless in this series.  Play Wallace and Crowder. Have ET play SG alongside Smart
ET should play vs smith or shumpart, he is not a good match up against cavs starters.